Greetings,

I received an email from a contact - "xxx@aol via srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com"

I did not go to my spam folder and since in gmail you can see the first sentence,
    and it didn't seem to make sense, as such I was not sure to open it.

Could someone please explain what this means. I have looked online for such,
    as perhaps it is from 'aol' side only but when receiving email from other
    friends even on blackberry I never get this message, so I am also interested
    what it means even if it is a legit email and not just spam or hack.

much thanks!
    08-15-13 05:00 PM
    If you didn't open it I would just delete it or just leave it alone, just to be sure.
    08-15-13 05:02 PM
    Isn't this just an email sent by a BlackBerry smartphone using BIS?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    08-15-13 05:04 PM
    Don't think so as all us carriers would read like "att.blackberry.net", "vzw.blackberry.net" and so on.
    08-15-13 05:12 PM

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Yes but don't all BB phones previous to BB10 have BIS. Or is there a difference in BIS vs BES? In receiving other email from other BB users OS 6 or 7 I never saw the issue. And the other things I read online made it seem as if there were something wrong.

Mind you it did say it was from a contact of mine, but it was just an odd thing part of first sentence I saw. So before opening I looked online and not much except that it might be some backdoor email.

But figured the fine folks here might have better info and might not be anything so bad either.

cheers.
    08-15-13 05:21 PM
    If you didn't open it I would just delete it or just leave it alone, just to be sure.
    Thanks too there to you. I did also find an article here on CB explaining BIS vs BES, but still trying to figure out
    what is meant by that string even from that article since I've never seen it from any BB device.
    08-15-13 09:24 PM
    I found this but I am not sure it is relevant to your issue. Shot in the dark really and I honestly have no Earthly idea what any of it means .

[email protected] Mailing List Archive

On 06/15/11 12:08, Jeff wrote:
    We currently have our server set to enable SPF checks. This causes a
    problem every few months where an email is rejected due to being
    forwarded from somewhere. This is a small inconvenience and can normally
    be worked around.

The big [repeating] problem is with Blackberry's. People using their own
    email domain [with no SPF], but the blackberry does some magic and gives
    the email an email address like <some strange username
    formula>@srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com. This often causes a rejection of
    the email that we cannot easily fix. The blackberry SPF record itself
    seems a bit extreme:
    $ host -t txt srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com

srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com descriptive text "v=spf1 ip4:206.51.26.0/24
    ip4:193.109.81.0/24 ip4:204.187.87.0/24 ip4:216.9.240.0/20
    ip4:206.53.144.0/20 ip4:67.223.64.0/19 ip4:68.171.224.0/19
    ip4:74.82.64.0/19 ip4:178.239.80.0/20 -all"

SPF - Sender Policy Framework
    08-15-13 09:48 PM
    Don't think so as all us carriers would read like "att.blackberry.net", "vzw.blackberry.net" and so on.
    yes that is what I would think...or generally when receiving email, I usually just get the email
    with the attached ending 'sent from my (phone) on (name) Network' or whatever saying someone has.

Thanks for the reply
    08-15-13 10:10 PM
    I found this but I am not sure it is relevant to your issue. Shot in the dark really and I honestly have no Earthly idea what any of it means .

[email protected] Mailing List Archive

SPF - Sender Policy Framework
    Thanks for the this. It does seems to warrant some help. I am surprised there is little about this issue here.
    And I have looked far and wide even on here and seems not to be a consistent easy answer.

Perhaps it is not as simple as it may sound.

It's just one of those thing one would like to understand since having a BB phone you think
    you know, and when you get something from another BB phone that you've never seen
    it just seems quite odd - also.

And these days with emails saying they are one person and really another ya know.

Thanks for taking the time for this...
    08-15-13 10:12 PM
    yes that is what I would think...or generally when receiving email, I usually just get the email
    with the attached ending 'sent from my (phone) on (name) Network' or whatever saying someone has.

Thanks for the reply
    Just so you know that can be turned on or off by the user. I always do so if I were sending you an email you'd never see that "signature"
    08-15-13 10:25 PM
    Just so you know that can be turned on or off by the user. I always do so if I were sending you an email you'd never see that "signature"
    oh yes I know the end string can be turned off. I specifically change mine to a note or quote here and there.

Sorry maybe I didn't write correctly what I meant.

What I meant is generally when receiving and an email from a contact it only says, e.g.
    from: '[email protected]' vs. "[email protected] via srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com."

So in receiving the 'via srs...' that was the unusual part.
    08-15-13 10:54 PM
    When sending an email from an older Blackberry, not a Blackberry 10 phone or tablet, the email is sent by the the Blackberry BIS server and not the email provider. This is unique to older Blackberry devices and was used because some email providers do not allow ANY smart phone or tablet to send an email using their servers for security reasons. Something some people only find out when they upgrade their Blackberry or move to another brand of smartphone.

When someone receives the email, some email accounts, like Google's Gmail, will show where the email came from in the email header as something like "via srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com" just to let you know the email did not come from where it claims it did (in this case your contacts email provider) but actually from Blackberry's email server. This is normal and not of any concern.
    12-08-13 11:23 AM