05-22-15 04:05 PM
    Isn't an all-touch Passport a misnomer?
    05-22-15 06:21 PM
    The all-touch isn't the Oslo. The Oslo has a pkb

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:39 PM
    So you're asking for something with the power of the Passport, that's the same width but with the length extended to accommodate a normal screen ratio? That would make it about the same size as the Playbook, about 5 inches wide by at at least 7 inches long. That's getting pretty big for a phone. The big Samsung and Apple phones are about 3 inches wide by 6 inches long.
    05-22-15 07:18 PM
    not sure what just happened there... will try again.

Can someone take the Oslo PP and use photoshop (or similar) to remove the keyboard? make it look like an all touch passport, a la Oslo style?

Thanks !
    05-22-15 11:24 PM
    not sure what just happened there... will try again.

Can someone take the Oslo PP and use photoshop (or similar) to remove the keyboard? make it look like an all touch passport, a la Oslo style?

Thanks !
    Here you go. Original rendering image courtesy of BB Central.
    Attached Thumbnails Can someone create a render of an All Touch OSLO PassPort?-oslo-without-keyboard-611g.jpg  
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 05-23-15 at 01:53 AM.
    05-23-15 12:40 AM
    That's nice but BlackBerry loves giant bezels so add an inch at the bottom
    05-23-15 12:55 AM
    That's nice but BlackBerry loves giant bezels so add an inch at the bottom
    Now it has the same size bottom bezel as the original rendering.
    05-23-15 01:54 AM
    That looks amazing !!!!!

Thanks again.
    05-23-15 09:07 AM
    They should have had an all touch Passport ready at the launch. If work wide is good for PKB, then shouldn't it be OK for all touch? I think they didn't though because they were actually convinced that they could sell the narrative that PKB BlackBerry are more in demand and that is why there wasn't an all touch model in the near term pipeline, and the only one in the long term is a lackluster Leap.

Posted via Z30
    05-23-15 09:48 AM
    They should have had an all touch Passport ready at the launch. If work wide is good for PKB, then shouldn't it be OK for all touch? I think they didn't though because they were actually convinced that they could sell the narrative that PKB BlackBerry are more in demand and that is why there wasn't an all touch model in the near term pipeline, and the only one in the long term is a lackluster Leap.

Posted via Z30
    You would want to use a mini-tablet as a phone ? It would be as the Passport is ... too wide. I do agree though, all touch sells better in all formats except for hand sets with less than a 3.5 inch screen.
    05-23-15 11:51 AM
    Possibly, they figured their key market were PKB type and went with that first.
    I like the features and PKB of the current PP, but also miss the virtual keyboard from my Z30.

The All Touch PP would definitely be nice, and as I mentioned before, the "Work Wide" theme would be even more emphasized with an All Touch PP (imo).

4:3 ratio would be ideal in my books. The closest ratio to an 8.5x11 sheet of paper...so you know all those "professionals" would be all over that idea. Also, no more black bars to satisfy the the multimedia type.

Also, this would definitely do away with the need of a tablet (for most I would think)

A BIG all touch would also cater into the new school.... plus, the wide-ish format of the phone is A LOT more pocket friendly than the tall slabs out there...

Plus, everyone loves big shiny screens!!
    05-23-15 11:56 AM
    Looking at it again, having the extra screen real-estate for more active screens would be nice as well!!!
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 05-23-15 at 12:20 PM.
    05-23-15 11:58 AM
    Ratio of an all touch passport would be 4:3 and I'm not too sure bb should be diverting much from standard ratios more than they already have. 1:1 should be PKB and 16:9 for all touch.

Maybe if there was a market for watching sitcoms from the 80's and 90's I'd say bring on the the 4:3 but until that happens 16:9 should be only reserved for all touch.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-23-15 12:55 PM
    You would want to use a mini-tablet as a phone ? It would be as the Passport is ... too wide. I do agree though, all touch sells better in all formats except for hand sets with less than a 3.5 inch screen.
    I would need to hold one to make sure, but it should be no different than a what a Passport PKB user has to deal with. 1440x1920 screen, VKB, would be even better for document viewing than the Passport.

Posted via Z30
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-23-15 12:57 PM
    You could do what we did last year. Hold your USA Passport in your hand and then compare that to your Z30 in your hand.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 01:50 PM
    This is what I've been looking for. The Passport Touch. This is another game changing device.

Tablet? What tablet?!!

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-23-15 01:59 PM
    This is what I've been looking for. The Passport Touch. This is another game changing device.

Tablet? What tablet?!!

Posted via CB10
    I'd need to see how the VKB works. I'd want to use a 4 row VKB, not a virtual Passport 3 Row VKB. I think it could be a good device though, definitely more compelling than the Leap or the slider IMHO.

Posted via Z30
    05-23-15 02:18 PM
    Looking at it again, having the extra screen real-estate for more active screens would be nice as well!!!
    You'd need to extend the length by about a quarter of an inch to provide enough room for more active screens as shown below.
    Attached Thumbnails Can someone create a render of an All Touch OSLO PassPort?-longer-oslo-without-keyboard-611n.jpg  
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    05-23-15 02:34 PM
    You'd need to extend the length by about a quarter of an inch to provide enough room for more active screens as shown below.
    I just can't see a 4:3 ratio ever catching on

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 12:12 PM
    I just can't see a 4:3 ratio ever catching on

Posted via CB10
    Yes , probably only with PKB's but too late. BlackBerry went 1:1 and they lack the $ and desire to change. It would make more sense to make a high spec 16:9 BlackBerry and perhaps a keyboard version of Z10. I guess in the end that will be the slider.
    05-24-15 01:36 PM
    Yes , probably only with PKB's but too late. BlackBerry went 1:1 and they lack the $ and desire to change. It would make more sense to make a high spec 16:9 BlackBerry and perhaps a keyboard version of Z10. I guess in the end that will be the slider.
    PKB should remain at 1:1 and all touch should be 16:9. The ratio 4:3 that an all touch passport would have is standard among tablets so they might get away with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 02:01 PM
    PKB should remain at 1:1 and all touch should be 16:9. The ratio 4:3 that an all touch passport would have is standard among tablets so they might get away with it.

Posted via CB10
    Not as a phone though. No matter how you cut it most consumers do not want to go wide.

LG Vu 3 phone photo gallery, official photos
    05-24-15 02:09 PM
    The 4:3 ratio is not popular anymore in TV land I agree, but have to admit, this ratio is A LOT better for a mobile device than the 16:9 imo.

The 16:9 ratio works for a large screen device... like a a 65" tv.....but it is not the same as 5" phone (way too narrow imo).

The LG Vu3 argument came up a while ago when the PP was first rumored and came out, but only the dimensions could be compared.

The fact that the LG Vu3 did not do well, is not because of the shape... its because of the infant android operating system itself at the time AND just like how many other Android 16:9 phones were not able to do well.... which was due to the competition in the Android market in general.

Again, just my opinion.

The market in general has a stigma against BB, and don't believe the "wideness" is the issue.
    (If Samsung or Apple came out with this format, they would be considered Gods)

At any rate, if they were to adopt the 4:3 ratio, it would be easier to design and make a slider with that ratio. Currently they are teasing a 16:9 .......slider...... !!!

How tall is that mofo going to be !!!!! sorry, but not for me. 4:3 slider, more manageable I think.

I think if you were going to have a 16:9 phone, people would prefer it to be a strict all touch ... but to add a keyboard to it because of how people miss the keyboard?? Overkill ! think.

ANYWAY,

Love the All Touch Oslo PP render !!! Tank you BB-JAM215 !!
    05-24-15 06:16 PM
    This thread is about the Passport.. a phone that is 90 mm wide is not suitable for most users.

The slider.

We would be looking for a body that is between 67 and 72 mm wide. It is the body that you hold and you slide up the screen for typing on the optional PKB.

Both the Z chassis and Classic chassis are about 72 mm wide so we are really only talking about the length of the screen that extends over the chassis fully extended.

Personally, I would have preferred a Classic based slider with a tool belt equipped KB over a Z chassis with a Passport style KB. The Classic style slider would have had a 4:3 smaller screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 07:15 PM
53 123