I'm a longtime reader but first time poster. I've been thinking about how RIM can differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers with the launch of BB10. Correct me if I am wrong buit aren't they the only manifacturer who has a data infrastructure on site with carriers (for BIS and BES )and could this not be used to set them apart?
    I would propose a systen where
    09-18-12 10:40 PM
    If RIM could have ended roaming charges, they would have done so by now. However, it's simply too much of a cash grab for carriers for them to allow that to happen.

On the other hand, you can get away with buying a much smaller roaming data package compared to other smartphone users. RIM's servers compress all the data that is put through to our phones. It's still expensive, but better than paying what other users have to pay for the same kind of usage.
    09-18-12 10:51 PM
    On the other hand, you can get away with buying a much smaller roaming data package compared to other smartphone users. RIM's servers compress all the data that is put through to our phones. It's still expensive, but better than paying what other users have to pay for the same kind of usage.
    Not really much a factor since data compression has been available on both iPhone and Android for a while now. I'm currently using Onavo, since I'm travelling out of the country and have only a 650MB plan at the moment.
    09-18-12 11:06 PM
    09-19-12 01:36 AM
    If RIM could have ended roaming charges, they would have done so by now. However, it's simply too much of a cash grab for carriers for them to allow that to happen.

I think that it depends on what data that you are using as to what gets compressed. Video streaming and music uses about the same amount on any platform.
    09-19-12 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD