all,
    i can not connecyt my 8830 in brazil ( porto alegre and rio ).
    tried everything from manual setting the networks to calling verizon ( sucks).
    I need my phone and my e-mails everywhere,that's why i bought it .
    what am i doing wrong - anybody withy an idea
    04-11-08 05:03 PM
    Are you attempting to connect to a CDMA network in Brazil? Or have you have aquired a SIM card for GSM connectivity? Most subcribers in Brazil now connect to GSM based 900/1800Mhz networks.
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-11-08 at 05:30 PM.
    04-11-08 05:09 PM
    i don't think you can connect to a cdma network in brasil. i go to brasil once a year, although i have at&t. will find for you in the morning when i wake up.
    04-11-08 11:33 PM
    i called my friend in brazil today and he told me that out of all the carriers there, only one is CDMA. all the other carriers or SIM card.
    04-12-08 11:53 AM
    Take into consideration that although the 8830 has the moniker of "world edition" it really only works on GSM frequencies 900 and 1800. These are the most common frequencies throughout the world and as far as I know, they are available in Brazil.
    Now, are u using a VZW sim card and trying to roam? Or do you have a sim card from a local carrier?
    If its a verizon sim card, you will need to make sure whoever they use for their roaming works on the 900/1800 frequencies where you are, if not, you won't connect with roaming. Also remember that if you don't have a global data plan it could get expensive!
    If you are using a local sim card, the carrier still needs to operate with the 900/1800 frequencies in the area you are. I have been in countries where you have service in some cities and not others. To use a local sim the 8830 must also be unlocked. The Sprint 8830s come unlocked, not Verizon's. There are other forums that discuss unlocking the VZW 8830.
    Also, with a local sim card you won't have ur VZW BIS access...
    Hope this helps.. If you still can't get it to work.. Pls post more details (such as local carrier or VZW roaming) and we'll keep at it so u can get your email and data!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-08 02:14 AM
    Here is the issue when trying to connect the 8830 in Brazil.

Brazil supports both CDMA and GSM networks (at least in Rio).

The 8830 seems to get confused when it gets to Brazil as it does not receive the proper signals under CDMA and does not transfer seamlessly to GSM (hence the term confused).

Managed to get mine to work by doing the following:

1) Under Applications select the Manage Connections icon
    2) Depress trackball and select Service Status
    3) Anywhere in Service Status press the trackball and select Mobile Network Options
    4) Set Network Selection Mode to MANUAL and then switch Network Mode to GSM.

At this point there is some "experimentation" involved, there are two GSM networks to select from TIM or CLARO. TIM did not work for me but CLARO did.

Once you have selected the network, turn the unit off and then power up again (I skipped this step at one point and was not getting any joy until I powered off an back on).

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to describe in as much detail as possible to help out other in this situation.

A couple of other facts, I am on BBserver and am on the Telus network.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by peterhof; 12-24-08 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding some more details
    12-24-08 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD