Hi

I want to take my 8900 which is on an Orange contract here in the UK to the USA for 3 weeks. Can I still get my emails through the BLackberry Server via WiFi only? I do not want to incur huge roaming data costs using the host's cellphone service and I understand you can switch off data services when roaming abroad via options on my 8900. Is this true? Need help asap as I'm going next week! All advice most welcomed guys
    02-26-10 09:37 AM
    I don't believe you can access BIS via wifi, you can access email normally if you have a wifi connection. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
    02-26-10 02:22 PM
    I don't believe you can access BIS via wifi, you can access email normally if you have a wifi connection. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ok thanks. So next question how do I stop data usage when in the USA as previously asked and rely on just wifi to access the internet and use the phone to make normal phone calls via roaming?
    02-26-10 02:27 PM
    Ok thanks. So next question how do I stop data usage when in the USA as previously asked and rely on just wifi to access the internet and use the phone to make normal phone calls via roaming?
    I think you can still use BIS through Wifi. You can even try it before going to the US. Try disabling you GSM connection and only enable Wifi and try using BBM or sending an E-Mail and see if it works.

For you second question, go to manage connections, mobile network options, Data Services change it to OFF or OFF when roaming. Now your phone will only accepts calls and SMSs only.
    02-26-10 10:25 PM
    I think you can still use BIS through Wifi. You can even try it before going to the US. Try disabling you GSM connection and only enable Wifi and try using BBM or sending an E-Mail and see if it works.

For you second question, go to manage connections, mobile network options, Data Services change it to OFF or OFF when roaming. Now your phone will only accepts calls and SMSs only.
    Thanks for your help.
    03-01-10 10:38 AM
    You can use BIS through Wi-Fi, I do it all the time. However, the country you go to has to support this as it takes special hardware in the phone network to enable this feature (GAN controller, or General Access Network controller). Just because it works here doesn't mean it works everywhere.
    03-01-10 10:46 AM
    You can use BIS through Wi-Fi, I do it all the time. However, the country you go to has to support this as it takes special hardware in the phone network to enable this feature (GAN controller, or General Access Network controller). Just because it works here doesn't mean it works everywhere.
    Ok thanks. Will chance it as I'm still going to take my 8900 as opposed to a non BB one. Can switch off data services as explained by prev op and use it for regular calling/txting if wifi doesnt work for the BB service.
    03-01-10 10:53 AM
    Can i use uma through wifi and not get charged roaming? Im on tmobile
    03-01-10 01:58 PM
    In what sense? If it's data then you never get charged for using Wi-Fi.

Now if you are talking UMA calling then that I am not too sure about. I would call your carrier and ask specifically just to make absolutely sure.
    03-01-10 02:55 PM
    okay thanks
    03-01-10 03:08 PM
    You can use UMA to make calls but only local (USA) calls no international calls
    and you need to stay with in your minute plan
    03-02-10 12:05 PM
    When you're connected to Wifi, if you go to Manage Connections -> Services Status, you will see that Blackberry Internet Service and Blackberry Enterprise Server are both connected via Wifi. What happens is that, once connected to wifi, the device will establish a proxy, via the wifi connection, to RIM's NOC and you'll be connected. As a result, all data will go through Wifi and not your carrier's data network. You can even turn off your 3G connection and use WIFI only and none of it will be carrier data. So, you should be fine.
    03-02-10 12:31 PM
    I'm also interested in this as I'll be travelling to Hong Kong and Thailand in the summer. Should I leave data services on, but disable the mobile network? That makes more sense, as surely data services will only be routed through wi-fi, incurring no charges?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 02:22 AM
    When you're connected to Wifi, if you go to Manage Connections -> Services Status, you will see that Blackberry Internet Service and Blackberry Enterprise Server are both connected via Wifi. What happens is that, once connected to wifi, the device will establish a proxy, via the wifi connection, to RIM's NOC and you'll be connected. As a result, all data will go through Wifi and not your carrier's data network. You can even turn off your 3G connection and use WIFI only and none of it will be carrier data. So, you should be fine.
    Brilliant. That's really hit the nail on the head with regards to the answer I was looking for. Thank You.
    03-03-10 03:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD