Here's an odd situation for you...probably doesn't come up too often but, maybe someone has an idea, if it even can be done.

Was on an airplane yesterday and really wanted to see my GPS reading 10,000 feet and 180 MPH...thought that would be cool.

But, my GPS wouldn't lock.

I had all radios off...being a good citizen and following the orders of the airline and FAA.

I tried and tried, couldn't get a GPS lock. I thought maybe it had to do with the giant aluminum tube I was in but, when we landed...still taxiing...and I could turn the radio back on, I got a GPS lock in < 5 seconds.

Clearly, when the radio is off, the GPS is off. But, I couldn't find a separate setting for this.

BTW, I was using SignalLoc, which doesn't require a data connection to give me the information I need.

Anyone know if it's possible to independently control the GPS this way?
    04-06-09 12:34 PM
    maybe it's not really using GPS and is triangulating its position with the cell phone towers instead
    04-06-09 12:40 PM
    No it will not work. U need cell service to send and receive a signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 01:51 PM
    the GPS chip is actually located on the cellular radio so if you turn it off you can not get a GPS lock. If i were you i would just leave the radio on. The FAA rule makes no sense and only mattered with old analog phones. Pilots use their cell phones in flight all the time!
    04-06-09 02:21 PM
    the GPS chip is actually located on the cellular radio so if you turn it off you can not get a GPS lock. If i were you i would just leave the radio on. The FAA rule makes no sense and only mattered with old analog phones. Pilots use their cell phones in flight all the time!
    The problem with that is the embarrassing situation that happens when it rings and the flight attendant is standing next to your seat. Forgetting to turn the ringers off can get you into trouble, this is the voice of experience speaking LMAO.
    04-06-09 03:33 PM
    The problem with that is the embarrassing situation that happens when it rings and the flight attendant is standing next to your seat. Forgetting to turn the ringers off can get you into trouble, this is the voice of experience speaking LMAO.
    yeah.. just make sure you have the phone on silent and your good to go. These FAA rules are now baloney!
    04-06-09 04:34 PM
    Turning the radio on will **** with the radios (see my post here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wha...ml#post2200255).

And the GPS won't get a lock because GPS is unreliable/unusable above 15,000 ft. Try it with a garmin GPS. You won't get a signal anyways. So please, don't **** with the flight crew? We're really really sick of it.
    04-06-09 05:22 PM
    And I don't know who you work or fly for, but we certainly don't because pilots know you DON'T GET A SIGNAL above 3-5,000' AGL.
    04-06-09 05:24 PM
    Was on an airplane yesterday and really wanted to see my GPS reading 10,000 feet and 180 MPH...thought that would be cool.
    Also, if you're on an airline in cruise you'll be seeing around 34,000' (which I don't think the storm GPS programs display altitude, and anyway GPS can't do lateral nav, if even VNAV above 15 grand) and cruising around 450 mph. We really don't fly in that up there. We just deal with speeds relative to the speed of sound which will vary when compared to mph depending on the air density of the day. Generally, about .70 to .85 mach is a better estimate. Also, the speed of sound decreases with an increase in altitude (due to the subsequent reduction in air density).
    04-06-09 05:31 PM
    There's a better chance of someone hijacking a stupid plane then crashing one with a cell phone. Give me a break...
    04-06-09 05:53 PM
    Yeah, even the FAA agrees with that. Witness the fact that for at least 8 years they have been willing to drop any rules having to do with electronics in flight. As for the GPS issue: it will not lock in flight, but if you start it out locked, it works quite well. What in the world do you think everyone in General Aviation uses? And don't well me it isn't the same. I've used my auto GPS in a pinch.
    04-06-09 09:18 PM
    There's a better chance of someone hijacking a stupid plane then crashing one with a cell phone. Give me a break...
    No one said they're crashing a plane with a cell phone. It's f*ckin annoying as **** to get all those buzzes and clicks and watching the VOR needle bounce around.
    04-07-09 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD