I'm planning on buying a 8820, and it's important for me to know whether, when using WiFi, I can sync to my existing external e-mail account. Please help. Thanks!
    10-09-08 09:23 AM
    If you subscribe to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), and use a carrier that supports Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), then yes.

If you do not have BIS or UMA, no. The only application that can use Wifi is Browser.
    10-12-08 02:44 PM
    Whoa! That's not at all what I expected. I'm planning on using T-mobile. I thought that the BB can just hook up to my WiFi router at home as a laptop would... no service involved. Was I wrong? I didn't realize the the mail client was BIS-only.

Edit: I just searched the forum and did find out that indeed, one needs a thirg party app like tiggit to work w/o a data plan, strictly in WiFi. Bummer... Maybe I should reconsider BB.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by buddhasystem; 10-15-08 at 11:40 AM.
    10-15-08 11:23 AM
    I upgraded from an iphone to a berry curve. I could check all my mail on there without going on the browser on a wifi connection. But why is blackberry trying to monopolise this situation by insisting we can only use there damn services? Frankly $20/month is to much when u can have 3G service for 25/per month...I'm really thinking of returning this BB device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 12:39 PM
    well i got the blackberry internet service now...and wifi so whatever...
    11-09-08 12:10 AM
    I think the Gmail app connects via wifi. U'll have gmail imap email but not push email. If that makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD