I don't know if it's me or everyone at RIM is just blind. Management is so stubborn on doing it their way till the entire company sinks or gets sold.

- Take a page out of Android & IPhone's playbook and stop with all the government certifications. Neither of your competitors has it and they are still taking over the enterprise market. Focus on building better sexier phones with OS enhancements that your competitors don't have. Examples: HTC one, S pen & eye pausing of videos from samsung, 41 MP camera on Nokia. Yes it's gimmicky but you need to attract the regular consumers not the die hard BB users.

- I've said this over and over again. You need APPS, it doesn't matter if you think the apps are terrible, horrible or stupid. Promote the damn apps for god sakes. People want to have apps. How about giving away your dev kits, and paying companies to port their apps/games over. Also stop charging a premium for apps on your platform when it's like a 1$ on your competitors platform. Here's another nifty idea, encourage developers by giving them a bigger share of the profits from app sales (Try 80/20). Sure your BBM software is awesome but why make it hard for AIM and other chat programs to be in your store? You know when you do that you're basically pushing people away from you right? Your company is sinking why not give it a shot.

- How about some ads for the BB making it look like it can be used for work and for play? I hardly see any blackberry ads for the BB Z10 on TV. Advertising may help you get some sales.

- Shift your focus away from the enterprise market because it's not working for you. Convincing the CIO, CEO and etc isn't going to get the rest of the company staff to want to use your phone. Your competitors won the consumers over which in turn forced the companies to adopt to them and their devices.
    bmr50, ekv and anon(5930933) like this.
    08-13-13 10:07 AM
    I'm pretty certain the enterprise market is the main thing keeping BlackBerry afloat.
    Revenue share won't make a difference because most apps that everyone wants that are missing are free (otherwise everyone won't want them).
    All BlackBerry apps are already free. I hope you're not suggesting they make my paid apps free
    08-13-13 10:12 AM
    I haven't been in the app store for a bit but the last time I was in on my Playbook the apps in the play store were not free. At least not 3rd party apps. The whole point of a better revenue sharing is to get developers to bring more apps to BBM and not have Android + Apple have all the apps. More developers may opt to try it if they believe they can make more money.

Yes the Enterprise market may keep them afloat for the time being but they need to start branching out to the consumers. It's probably a little to late right now but if they had the time I'd say put R&D and produce a new phone that's Sexy with some new standout feature aim at the consumers. And of all things promote that sucker.
    08-13-13 10:24 AM
    I don't know if it's me or everyone at RIM is just blind. Management is so stubborn on doing it their way till the entire company sinks or gets sold.

- Take a page out of Android & IPhone's playbook and stop with all the government certifications. Neither of your competitors has it and they are still taking over the enterprise market. Focus on building better sexier phones with OS enhancements that your competitors don't have. Examples: HTC one, S pen & eye pausing of videos from samsung, 41 MP camera on Nokia. Yes it's gimmicky but you need to attract the regular consumers not the die hard BB users.

- I've said this over and over again. You need APPS, it doesn't matter if you think the apps are terrible, horrible or stupid. Promote the damn apps for god sakes. People want to have apps. How about giving away your dev kits, and paying companies to port their apps/games over. Also stop charging a premium for apps on your platform when it's like a 1$ on your competitors platform. Here's another nifty idea, encourage developers by giving them a bigger share of the profits from app sales (Try 80/20). Sure your BBM software is awesome but why make it hard for AIM and other chat programs to be in your store? You know when you do that you're basically pushing people away from you right? Your company is sinking why not give it a shot.

- How about some ads for the BB making it look like it can be used for work and for play? I hardly see any blackberry ads for the BB Z10 on TV. Advertising may help you get some sales.

- Shift your focus away from the enterprise market because it's not working for you. Convincing the CIO, CEO and etc isn't going to get the rest of the company staff to want to use your phone. Your competitors won the consumers over which in turn forced the companies to adopt to them and their devices.
    Not really sure WHY BlackBerry does what the do... but I've heard these basic arguments for years hear. Kevin even did a blog about what RIM needed to do when they released the new OS - stable OS, Apps, good hardware, Apps - yet apparently no body at BlackBerry is taking advise from him, because they did none of those things.

Hardware & Pricing is all on them - the new platform should have been launch on a device that made some headlines! Would have been good if the Z30 had been the star (with better specs than has been leaked six months later) and the Z10 along with the Q10 were all released simultaneously.

OS.... perfect was too much to ask for, but the Battery Life and Rebooting issue was a HUGE mistake and the whole update process is not what I had expected of BB10.

Apps - not sure who is to blame - but it ultimately is costing BlackBerry any chance at recovery.
    Don't really know how things are done... but just seems like spending several million dollars to make sure the 10-15 biggest apps were available on the platform would have been better spent than a super bowl ad. Just going to Instagram and promising to cover their cost to build and support an App for a year might have sold a few million phones.

But we don't run the company, we just have to set back and watch.
    08-13-13 10:48 AM

Thank you for taking a break from running your own multi-billion dollar corporation to counsel Thorsten Heins on how he should do his.

#armchairceosyndrome
    08-13-13 10:49 AM
    I believe devs gets $100 per games/apps they port over to bb10.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:50 AM
    I'm pretty sure money isn't the issue here as to why these developers aren't getting their apps on the platform, but just the sparseness of user base. If the majority of users are on Android and iOS, why would they want to waste time on making an app for only a tiny portion of that market share. The economies of scale don't stack up here.

If it was easy just to splash the money pot, Microsoft would have run away with the apps I guarantee. But the industry doesn't work that way.
    08-13-13 11:03 AM
    There's just too many mistakes, at a certain point there is no way back, it's not just hard, it becomes impossible.

Launching the PlayBook in the state it was released was a mistake. Promising email in 90 days, and not delivering for 4 times that was a mistake.
    Promising PlayBook getting BB10 and then just going back on that was a mistake.
    Dropping the trackpad was a huge mistake in the Q device, the alternative is simply not good enough for power users.

Not having programmers good enough to get legacy systems playing nice with BB10 means they had to drop BIS, which is another huge mistake.
    Again, the advantages of worldwide travel with a single phone and an economical plan, gone. Proper email, gone. Proper push, gone.

Not coming out and being honest about this being the reason BIS was dropped was a mistake, the confusion and lack of transparency hurts them.

The current strategy is a huge mistake.
    BlackBerry have gone from a company that was making money off phones, but also services that keep giving money, like BIS etc, to a company that needs to make money off handsets alone. They have overpriced these devices, so that they depreciate quickly.
    So people will never pay the stupid fees they're charging for the phone when new, they will wait for them to depreciate fast. But without BIS revenues, this does not help BlackBerry, they're now amazingly in a position where they make money off ONLY hardware, despite being the textbook company for making money off services after a phone was sold.

In the end, not getting apps in the ecosystem, and then pushing the OS instead of recognising their limits, and making an Android phone, was a mistake.
    The OS is great, but needs more programming than they are capable or willing to do.

The current shambles, just for example, with the dropping of a major feature in the dark theme, instead of making it an option, just highlights how incompetent decision makers and programmers at BlackBerry are, and it doesn't bode well.

You just cannot run a tech company like this.
    08-13-13 12:33 PM
    Wow an entirely new story, thanks OP!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:53 PM
    yes, it can be this hard to do something right. that's why they say hindsight is 20/20. and this is why apple deserves so much respect. they went into a market, already full of worthy competitors, and crushed them...thanks entirely to an innovative product and their vision of what people wanted before they knew it themselves. (note: i have never owned an iphone)

anyway, i disagree with the original post. blackberry needed to scale down and focus on their niche market: business customers that needed a qwerty keyboard.

i am not a banker, doctor or lawyer. and i thought having a keyboard was worth the sacrifice of having apps. i was wrong. now that i have left BB (after the disaapointing Q10), i have seen the light.

blackberry can not compete with apple, samsung (or any other top android producer). it's too late. they would have to completely revolutionize mobile communications. focus on making solid phones with keyboards and leave the touchscreens to the well-established companies that already dominate that market.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 08-13-13 at 04:29 PM.
    08-13-13 03:19 PM