I'm currently deciding between the 9000 and 8900. Both have internal GPS but the 9000 has a faster processor and 3G data. Would this make its GPS capabilities better?
    12-04-08 01:19 PM
    I would have assumed the 8900 and 9000 would have had similar/same CPUs to reduce manufacturing costs... ?
    12-04-08 07:55 PM
    8900 has about 512MHz while the 9000 has 624MHz. Those probably aren't spot on, but it's around there.
    12-04-08 09:40 PM
    What I've been thinking is that dedicated in car GPS systems have maps preinstalled. Blackberries I'm assuming stream their maps over the cell network while utilizing the GPS. I'm not completely certain that's how it works but if it is, the 9000 would definitely be better as it would be streaming its maps faster.

This is what I really need clarified because GPS is the selling point for me. I've heard the iphone GPS is trash and I can't find any GPS reviews for blackberry.

The reason it's such a big deal is because I can't have dedicated GPS installed. Terrible neighbourhood and no security system in my van or car. So what I'd like is to have a mount to just throw my BB up there when necessary.

Does anyone have any helpful info in this situation?
    12-04-08 09:45 PM
    I would be surprised if a small difference in processor speed made much difference in GPS performance. Maybe in Time-to-First-Fix for autonomous GPS.

Your maps assumption is correct. BlackBerries download their maps over the cell network. Which means that you won't have maps in areas where you don't have a cell signal, but the GPS will still work and give you lat/lon info. My Verizon 8830 downloads maps plenty fast enough for driving speeds.

As an alternative, Garmin makes several dashtop units that are no bigger than a BlackBerry. You can take them with you when you leave your car. Dedicated units typically have bigger screens and a richer feature set, as well as preloaded maps.

The forum where you posted has a lot of reviews of BlackBerry GPS and Mapping applications.
    12-04-08 10:24 PM
    If that's the case, is GPS practically useless outside of the city? I live in toronto. If I were to head up north for a cottage would I be charged for roaming data (if that exists; I'm new to this) and/or not have a map to follow on screen?

This sounds like a large departure from typical on-dash GPS sets. I've seen them used in situations where they'd lead you all the way up north and back down without a hiccup. Map always there with full turn by turn directions.

Would I ever get that kind of service out of a blackberry? My intention was to purchase Garmin software because it's what I'm familiar with.
    12-04-08 11:09 PM
    If you drive into areas where you don't have cell service, you won't have maps on your BlackBerry GPS. It's that simple, with one exception. TrekBuddy is a GPS app that's designed for use in areas without a cell signal. It allows you to download maps in advance into the microSD card in your device. I haven't used it.

If you don't have unlimited data, using a GPS extensively could cause you to incur some large data charges as well as roaming charges, depending on your plan.

I have the Garmin Mobile subscription app and like it very well. I use it with my Freedom Keychain 2000 external GPS, because until today Verizon disabled the internal GPS in their BlackBerries for all but their VZNav application.
    12-04-08 11:15 PM
    Looks like I have a lot more to consider before making the leap to a bold or 8900. Thanks for the helpful info JeffH. Much appreciated.
    12-04-08 11:20 PM
    I'm glad to help. I've never used Rogers, but I've read that their data plans are expensive. Definitely something to consider. Also, Garmin may not have maps for Canada. You'd have to verify that. And, Garmin licenses their software to a specific BlackBerry. If you buy a new BlackBerry, you have to buy a new license from Garmin. That's why I'm subscribing monthly at $10US/month as opposed to $99US for a lifetime subscription. I'm getting a new phone in less than a year.
    12-04-08 11:26 PM
    No kidding about the data prices. I've snatched what I think is a deal of a lifetime on rogers. $20 for 500MB BIS, 10,000 SMS, 10,000 MMS, Caller ID, Enhanced Voice Mail, WhoCalled. That with a $17.50 voice plan and I've finally got affordable data on rogers. Now just to choose a phone.
    12-04-08 11:41 PM
    As long as you have the time to put into building atlas'* for TrekBuddy (sets of maps) using something like Googleak this is a good option, it certainly works faster than the GPRS speeds in this area and google maps that's for sure.

* An atlas is just a map bundle at different zoom levels, so on and so forth
    12-05-08 12:34 AM
    I was talking to a verizon tech and when we finished our conversation he forgot to disconnect the line and I overheard him talking to his co-workers about the freezing issues with the storm. a lot of it is caused by the VZ Navigator, but they aren't aloud to tell customers that cause its an "add on" thats no bull either. I just listened to him talk for 3 or 4 minutes about it.
    12-05-08 02:03 AM
    I was talking to a verizon tech and when we finished our conversation he forgot to disconnect the line and I overheard him talking to his co-workers about the freezing issues with the storm. a lot of it is caused by the VZ Navigator, but they aren't aloud to tell customers that cause its an "add on" thats no bull either. I just listened to him talk for 3 or 4 minutes about it.
    It's always funny when DJs or others do that kind of thing, and yea that came up in other threads already about removing it to improve the performance on the 9530 version of the Storm.
    12-05-08 03:11 AM
    3g would load map data faster and the faster processor would route (and reroute) you faster, so yes, a bold will spank the javelin on gps. Not by miles, but it would be better, in theory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD