How does a web app send the user a notification? Until a web app can send a proper notification to every OS (Windows, OS X, iOS, Android, BB10, etc) apps will remain. As the notification subsystems on the various operating systems evolve, this will become even harder for a web app to target.
    05-30-16 11:34 AM
    How does a web app send the user a notification?
    It's just an email. But as I've said here about 50 times, it does work well on PayPal. I've used the mobile web version for almost 2 years now and it does everything I need it to do.
    05-30-16 12:13 PM
    Banks have known for years that must customers never walk into a branch and now may not even use ATMs that often. Their app is their primary vehicle to serve their customers. My bank app makes it incredibly easy to deposit a check. It takes about 20 seconds. The app unlocks with Touch ID, the camera automatically takes the shot when it is ready. It's so great for those little checks that you get from random sources - rebates, refunds, whatever. That's not going away.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-30-16 12:35 PM
    Each time I see this topic I cant help but think 'wishful thinking'. The end of apps is very far.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    05-30-16 03:04 PM
    It's just an email. But as I've said here about 50 times, it does work well on PayPal. I've used the mobile web version for almost 2 years now and it does everything I need it to do.
    So, what, your instant messaging client should email you on ever new message? Facebook should email you for each post/like/reply? Instagram emails you on every comment on your picture?
    05-30-16 03:30 PM
    So, what, your instant messaging client should email you on ever new message? Facebook should email you for each post/like/reply? Instagram emails you on every comment on your picture?
    And you're not going to get all these companies to send you encrypted emails. Push notifications are much more secure than email.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-30-16 03:38 PM
    I think the reason is convenient, I like posting using the app rather than the website
    I agree but that's only because the website is horrible in relation. Is it even built with HTML5? Other Web sites are such as Facebook, Wells Fargo, AMX, USAA and numerous others. I had my own business website converted to HTML5 to render the same across all mobile devices (phones, tablets) and Web. It's actually very cool and was cost effective. I can see more companies converting. Companies don't think of alienating or discrimination of clients usage. Windows 10, despite any naysayers, will make an impact. Shoot Google even seems to be leaning toward Chrome and Android merging in functionality.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    05-30-16 03:42 PM
    there really is no point for an app that does less than the mobile site.
    If you put it that way, yes there is none...
    App should do more than just a mirror of a mobile site.
    05-31-16 04:19 AM
    All of the Mobile Nations sites are incredibly bloated with advertising and third party Javascript. Without an ad blocker the sites are all but useless on a PC. Unfortunately, it's a sign of the current state of the Web economy: without ads or a paywall there's no real way to run a professional site with full-time staffs.

Posted via CB10
    Sad but true.
    05-31-16 07:45 AM
    Ad Blocker
    Script Blocker
    Image Blocker

Only way to view a Mobile Nations site.
    05-31-16 07:50 AM
    If you put it that way, yes there is none...
    App should do more than just a mirror of a mobile site.
    Why? Businesses still primarily run and utilize lap and desktops. Why limit a user's experience based on usage?

05-31-16 01:54 PM
    05-31-16 03:12 PM
    I agree but that's only because the website is horrible in relation. Is it even built with HTML5? Other Web sites are such as Facebook, Wells Fargo, AMX, USAA and numerous others. I had my own business website converted to HTML5 to render the same across all mobile devices (phones, tablets) and Web. It's actually very cool and was cost effective. I can see more companies converting. Companies don't think of alienating or discrimination of clients usage. Windows 10, despite any naysayers, will make an impact. Shoot Google even seems to be leaning toward Chrome and Android merging in functionality.

Microsoft has already given up on Windows 10 mobile . They will fire sell the remaining MS phones and Windows 10 mobile will go the way of RT. If HP and other small mobile companies want to continue with Windows 10 Mobile MS will let them, but MS is done with Mobile.

MS has already written off the Nokia purchase and now is letting go their remaining mobile employees. Balmer' push into the mobile world will probably wind up costing MS well north of 10 billion dollars. After spending millions in marketing and billions in development their market share has grown from 3.5% to less than 1%.
    05-31-16 04:44 PM
    Microsoft has already given up on Windows 10 mobile . They will fire sell the remaining MS phones and Windows 10 mobile will go the way of RT. If HP and other small mobile companies want to continue with Windows 10 Mobile MS will let them, but MS is done with Mobile.

MS has already written off the Nokia purchase and now is letting go their remaining mobile employees. Balmer' push into the mobile world will probably wind up costing MS well north of 10 billion dollars. After spending millions in marketing and billions in development their market share has grown from 3.5% to less than 1%.
    While they may be giving up on W10 hardware, they are not giving up on W10 mobile. They are preparing to change the game a bit and, while I'm not saying it will be a hit, they have the money to keep moving forward.
    05-31-16 05:20 PM

Very good points.
    05-31-16 05:21 PM
    Even if the end is here, BB10 wouldn't be able to do anything because their browser stinks to high heaven, lagging all the way, iOS and android with their wide browser selection, will still lead the game.
    06-01-16 01:10 AM
    I seriously don't see how some of you guys can manage without Uber, Lyft, and the other transportation network companies (TNCs). If you do any traveling anywhere in the world, chances are that, once in a while, you need to call a ride. These companies have iOS and Android apps. Sometimes you don't have a lot of choices depending on the city and your payment mechanisms. It's not like you want to be fiddling around with some kind of workaround while you're at the airport outside.
    06-01-16 11:39 PM
    I seriously don't see how some of you guys can manage without Uber, Lyft, and the other transportation network companies (TNCs). If you do any traveling anywhere in the world, chances are that, once in a while, you need to call a ride. These companies have iOS and Android apps. Sometimes you don't have a lot of choices depending on the city and your payment mechanisms. It's not like you want to be fiddling around with some kind of workaround while you're at the airport outside.
    I traveled in the corporate world for 12 years prior to buying our business 6 years ago. I used, cabs, metros, subways, rental cars and business relationship partners without issue. I still travel but less frequently and only primarily on the west coast of the US now and I still have never had an issue getting to a destination and or paying for it. Granted I have never used or felt the need to use Uber or Lyft. There is always m.uber.com that appears to be functional.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    06-02-16 08:49 AM
    lol
    06-02-16 09:08 AM
    I traveled in the corporate world for 12 years prior to buying our business 6 years ago. I used, cabs, metros, subways, rental cars and business relationship partners without issue.
    I did my share of that too, but things have changed a lot over the past couple years regarding this. Access to ridesharing services is pretty important to a lot of enterprise users.
    06-02-16 12:48 PM
    Why? Businesses still primarily run and utilize lap and desktops. Why limit a user's experience based on usage?

well i said do more, not less..
    if using html5 can bring the same experience than native language so be it,
    but anyway sometimes an app is better in terms of simplicity
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-04-16 10:41 AM
    I heard something about this maybe 2 or 3 months ago, can't remember where but it was suggested that the Apple App Store is "obsolete" and possibly that Samsung was woking on something new like this but I never heard anything since then so I forgot about it.

I meant to Google it but never got around to it.

Might have been a rumour.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-04-16 03:39 PM
    I think the idea was to get apps off devices to save space and just access them from the site or whatever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-04-16 03:40 PM
    Another "let's hope apps go away because BB10 suffers from an app problem" post?
    Actually, I also avoid apps on Android and iOS as much as possible. I dislike the business model and the invasion of privacy, so I decline ton support it. I use the Web anonymously with a browser for most of my mobile use. That's hardly a perfect solution, but it's better than the alternative for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 05:46 PM
    Good luck with that. Wifi and cellular signals can be tracked and traced. You want anonymity? Stay in airplane mode.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-04-16 05:50 PM
124 ... 2345