Actually, that's an interesting question. How many HTML5 "apps" or mobile websites has BlackBerry, Ltd ever made?

Are any of their BB10 apps HTML5? Have they done any for iOS or Android?
    I'm going to take a huge leap here and make a guess. Zero.
    05-28-16 08:25 AM
    I'm going to take a huge leap here and make a guess. Zero.
    Isn't it the latest Facebook app for BlackBerry 10 ,html5?
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-28-16 09:07 AM
    Did Blackberry make it or was it already made?

Either way, fine. One.
    05-28-16 09:09 AM
    Actually, that's an interesting question. How many HTML5 "apps" or mobile websites has BlackBerry, Ltd ever made?

Are any of their BB10 apps HTML5? Have they done any for iOS or Android?
    BrickBreaker on BB10 is built with HTML5
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-28-16 09:33 AM
    Aren't the native Weather and Maps apps HTML5?

edit: maybe hybrid html5
    05-28-16 09:43 AM
    That was mean.

But funny. I like it.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-28-16 09:47 AM
    But the difference is that for many big companies and developers, it isn't just the "2" because they ALSO have their mobile site (and should) because they WANT to be universally accessible. Sure, at the moment the smaller ones (BB10, Windows 10, etc) are getting axed first... But what do you think will happen once more people are using the mobile site compared to their apps? Once the majority of the use goes to the mobile site, big companies will drop the development of individual apps altogether because it means less development costs.

And, for the record, there are many instances out there already where the mobile site IS more capable than the app. Perhaps the interface isn't quite as smooth but the features are more complete. Once development of HTML5 moves further along, apps will slowly lose traction.

The monetizing and data-mining argument doesn't make much sense because there is just as much opportunity (if not more) for the same things to happen with mobile sites.

And, we aren't talking Angry Birds here... we're talking social networking, banking, and services apps where it makes far more sense to have a universal standard than multiple apps for different platforms. John Chen already said it. Sure, he was mocked for it, just as those of us who are still of the same opinion. But there are always those who are 'part of the trend' and those who can 'see the trend' and they aren't usually one and the same.
    LOL.

My favourite part:
    Once the majority of the use goes to the mobile site, big companies will drop the development of individual apps altogether
    I hope for yours, BB10 and Windows 10 Mobile sake, that happens, but considering the latest Gartner results show both BB10 AND W10M continuing to lose share, I doubt many companies will drop their apps, at least from my experience it seems many companies are actually spending more on apps, especially high end banks. Apps make the experience a lot more personal, and companies love them as they can implement their own security measures that can ensure safer use e.g. some apps will disallow weak lock screen options like Swipe and will demand either Finger Print or a long Password, they can dictate the sort of environment they want to run in......

......Actually the more I think about this the more ridiculous the thought of companies dropping apps for mobi sites becomes I mean really, lets get real here.
    05-28-16 11:13 AM
    BB10 has been travelling on that road since Chen came on board.
    You couldn't be more wrong! You're blaming Chen for the mess Blackberry is in? This mess can be traced all the way back to 2007. Dont feel bad, being short sighted has run amok on CB. Everyone here being so devoted to an OS that even the developer has tossed aside for the substandard OS known as Android
    hjc73734 and PygmySurfer like this.
    05-28-16 11:36 AM
    Once the majority of the use goes to the mobile site, big companies will drop the development of individual apps altogether
    SO your theory is that app developers will follow BB and Win OS down into the abyss? If one were to follow your thinking, do you see this as a positive move for BB? Since they have no apps and if apps go away, perhaps Blackberry can make a comeback? What exactly does it take for people to accept that BB10 is done? It was never a contender because even tho it was a pretty good OS, it was released with serious flaws , never gained any traction, never had any app support, and was installed on substandard devices instead of the best that could be produced.
    05-28-16 11:45 AM
    SO your theory is that app developers will follow BB and Win OS down into the abyss? If one were to follow your thinking, do you see this as a positive move for BB? Since they have no apps and if apps go away, perhaps Blackberry can make a comeback? What exactly does it take for people to accept that BB10 is done? It was never a contender because even tho it was a pretty good OS, it was released with serious flaws , never gained any traction, never had any app support, and was installed on substandard devices instead of the best that could be produced.
    Please read my post again.
    05-28-16 11:46 AM
    You couldn't be more wrong! You're blaming Chen for the mess Blackberry is in? This mess can be traced all the way back to 2007. Dont feel bad, being short sighted has run amok on CB. Everyone here being so devoted to an OS that even the developer has tossed aside for the substandard OS known as Android
    Umm, you seemed to have missed the points of those two posts by several hundred kilometers.
    skstrials and JeepBB like this.
    05-28-16 11:48 AM
    Odds are, this post and those like it wouldn't even exist if BB10 had anywhere near the quality and quantity of apps that iOS and Android offer. Another exercise in futility.
    05-28-16 12:21 PM
    Where is this trend of users moving to the mobile site? We are seeing the opposite.

So are BlackBerry blind to the "trend" as they maintain 3 different native BBM apps? Or are they just making the same rational and correct choice that other developers are making?
    I am not trying to suggest that there are not two sides to the coin. There are some apps that were always apps and they function better as such. There are also websites that have run as such for many years and then afterward tried to package their same experience into an app. These are the ones that really don't need an app to begin with if they offer a decent mobile version of their site. I am not a developer, but I would believe that it is likely easier to transition a website into a mobile app than it is to convert an app into a mobile site.
    05-28-16 02:15 PM
    I would really want an example where the website is more capable than the app and both are updated regularly (I admit I have encountered an app for a website I visit, but the app hasn't been updated in 2 years). I think the closest I have seen is the Facebook app and the website are pretty close in terms of design and functionality.
    How about Google Maps?

And, regardless of what you may say about banking apps, the website has more access than the app. At least for my bank, I am not able to access my monthly statements from the app. Come to think of it, my carrier site is also much more in depth than the app and I always go to the site if I need more than a quick update on my usage or something like that.

I'm not suggesting that apps will be gone. However, not all apps are necessary.
    05-28-16 02:20 PM
    How about Google Maps?

And, regardless of what you may say about banking apps, the website has more access than the app. At least for my bank, I am not able to access my monthly statements from the app. Come to think of it, my carrier site is also much more in depth than the app and I always go to the site if I need more than a quick update on my usage or something like that.

I just tried google maps in the browser on my nexus 5. It is very well done but I have noticed lower quality map images for whatever reason.

The one thing that annoyed me is that the back android button takes you previous web pages. Inside the app the back system button is better used when moving back between menus and categories. But this may just be me being used to the app-centric use of the back button.

Yes, in a perfect world we may be seeig more web apps, but right now the mobile world is app-centric and any move to web-apps will be too late for BB10.
    05-28-16 02:33 PM
    I am not trying to suggest that there are not two sides to the coin. There are some apps that were always apps and they function better as such. There are also websites that have run as such for many years and then afterward tried to package their same experience into an app. These are the ones that really don't need an app to begin with if they offer a decent mobile version of their site.
    I agree. In fact, some of those apps do nothing more than open up a web view and point to the mobile site for most or even all of their functionality. Nobody really needs those.

But as you said, there are apps that truly implement their functions natively in the app. Many of the apps that would (or have) affected the popularity of BB10 are real apps, not repackaged websites.

I am not a developer, but I would believe that it is likely easier to transition a website into a mobile app than it is to convert an app into a mobile site.
    I've seen people get bad results either way. I think the better idea is to think of them as two different things. In our case, we have functions in the site which don't exist in the apps (or don't exist natively), and then we have features in the apps which don't exist on the site. We treat them as different products and prioritize features independently.

Of course there are features that we can only do in the app because they require more intense security (auth and/or encryption) or hardware integration (access to payment networks and NFC is the obvious one for us there) or just tested better with users when implemented natively (like swipe gestures that we use in our apps). We'll also allow higher risk threshold for transactions done on the apps because of the better security profile (lower risk)
    05-28-16 02:39 PM
    I have noticed lower quality map images for whatever reason.
    Pretty sure that one big advantage that native apps offer is their ability to display better graphics than the web-based ones.
    05-28-16 02:57 PM
    How about Google Maps?

Can you deposit a check from your bank's website?

The banks which do support this feature only support it via app.

Also, please do not confuse your bank for every bank. There are others out there where there is a lot more feature parity between the app and the website (plus the ability to deposit checks).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-16 03:05 PM
    I reckon you may have misread my post.

If you look at my posting history, I've been unstinting in my praise of what Chen has done for BlackBerry - which is an increasingly unpopular stance here on CB. Chen may yet save the company, but he is no fan of BB10 and (with the full support of BB's Board) has been quietly killing BB10 since he arrived.

So, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I already realise that Chen isn't responsible for the mess that BB is in, that's almost entirely due to MikeL/JimB, and their chosen successor Thor. Chen is the guy with the broom, trying to clean away the piles of evil-smelling stuff left over from the epic and spectacular CF that was BB10.

What might account for some of the "bad-feeling" towards Chen here on CB is that, when he's finished sweeping, the BlackBerry that's left is unlikely to be of much interest to most of the people posting here.
    TgeekB, xtremeled and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-28-16 03:19 PM
    Apps are a great way to minimize the amount of data needed but now there's no justification for low bit rate requirements. Everything is the Web. Aside from the business model of the 'app download' there really is no point for an app that does less than the mobile site.

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Not in any time frame that would make a difference for BB10. If this change happens it will be in several years.
    05-28-16 05:38 PM
    OP one question why you using cb10 app not the browser?
    This thread was over, after this post.

The reality of the situation is that apps are essential. While the web is great and allows some basic functions, it still, hasn't caught up to what an app can do.
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 05-28-16 at 08:24 PM.
    Jerry A, JeepBB, TgeekB and 4 others like this.
    05-28-16 07:31 PM
    I carry 2 devices due to I need the square app and I have PayPal Here for credit card swipes in the field. I love the Blackberry overall, but would like to see apps like this on the device and I will ditch apple as fast as I can!
    05-29-16 10:07 AM
    OP one question why you using cb10 app not the browser?
    I would rather use the CB10 app on my computer if it ever existed let alone on the BlackBerry itself...

Have you tried going to Crackberry.com? So much crap loads that my machine running a Quadcore and SSD doesn't even matter.

The same is true on my phone... The website is filled with endless garbage that it never loads properly.
    TgeekB and Ronindan like this.
    05-29-16 02:41 PM
    I would rather use the CB10 app on my computer if it ever existed let alone on the BlackBerry itself...

Have you tried going to Crackberry.com? So much crap loads that my machine running a Quadcore and SSD doesn't even matter.

The same is true on my phone... The website is filled with endless garbage that it never loads properly.
    All of the Mobile Nations sites are incredibly bloated with advertising and third party Javascript. Without an ad blocker the sites are all but useless on a PC. Unfortunately, it's a sign of the current state of the Web economy: without ads or a paywall there's no real way to run a professional site with full-time staffs.

Posted via CB10
    Kamika007z likes this.
    05-29-16 07:58 PM
    Can you deposit a check from your bank's website?

The banks which do support this feature only support it via app.

Also, please do not confuse your bank for every bank. There are others out there where there is a lot more feature parity between the app and the website (plus the ability to deposit checks).
    My Bank (USAA) allows you to deposit a check from its Web site. In fact, they have been doing it since at least 2006, using a scanner. They will also post the money (up to $5K) in your account immediately. But it is much easier using their app. I have used their app since 2009 to deposit checks. The bank's Web site is great, but so is their mobile app. The app is fantastic and you can access all of their services in a very well designed mobile interface. The app in many was is much easier to navigate than their website. I would hate to have to use their website from my phone.

Like websites all you like. I use business apps every day for work, and the ones I use are much better than their equivalent websites.
    Uzi likes this.
    05-30-16 12:28 AM
124 12345