I have the Verizon Curve 8530 and would like to know if it automatically uses my home Wifi when it is connected to it for internet browsing? I can't tell which connection it is using when I am at home connected to my access point. I noticed in the Browser options I can set it to use a Hotspot Browser manually. Is there a way to set up the phone so it tries to browse over WiFi if it is available?
    09-28-10 10:02 AM
    Menu>options>mobile network>connection preference>set to WIFI preferred. Mine automaticly connects when ever I get to within reach of anywhere I have set up a wifi connection. Look for your WIFI symbol to light up. Also, if you name your wifi connections, that name will also show on your home screen.
    Last edited by RWWackoStu; 09-28-10 at 10:05 AM. Reason: cause I spell like ****
    09-28-10 10:04 AM
    So, if I see my wireless network's name on my screen and the WiFi icon is lit-up white, then I am connected and browsing over my own WiFi connection, as opposed to Verizon's wireless network?

Thanks!
    09-28-10 10:08 AM
    Menu>options>mobile network>connection preference>set to WIFI preferred. Mine automaticly connects when ever I get to within reach of anywhere I have set up a wifi connection. Look for your WIFI symbol to light up. Also, if you name your wifi connections, that name will also show on your home screen.

this is true, my 9700 automatically connects to my home network when I am at home.

there are also apps like
    BlackBerry App World - Error

That auto turn wifi on and off and connect to networks when in range.
    09-28-10 10:10 AM
    I got my WiFi connected and can see it auto connect when I am in range, but is there any way to tell if the Broswer is actually using the WiFi? Or do I have to manually switch to the Hotspot Browser to ensure that WiFi is used?

Maybe I will try using one of those "What is my IP" sites and turn off my router between tests to see if I get a different result.
    09-28-10 10:30 AM
    Its automatic, once WiFi is white, you don't need to set to hot spot browser but if you want re assurance you can goto
    Manage connections then Services status

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 11:22 AM
    So, if I see my wireless network's name on my screen and the WiFi icon is lit-up white, then I am connected and browsing over my own WiFi connection, as opposed to Verizon's wireless network?

Thanks!
    how bout if i see the the name of the wireless network above the time and the wifi symbol is not lite up white? whats the mean?
    am i still using wifi or my data.
    thanks
    09-28-10 07:39 PM
    how bout if i see the the name of the wireless network above the time and the wifi symbol is not lite up white? whats the mean?
    am i still using wifi or my data.
    thanks
    I noticed mine does that too. Usually only when I first arrive home for a couple minutes, then it turns white. Maybe it is logging into the BlackBerry network?
    09-28-10 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD