CarPlay is a couple of protocols that an infotainment system can implement so that iOS can use the infotainment system for input and output. It doesn't matter what the underlying system is, so long as it can implement the protocols.
    Correct. So far, CarPlay is known to run on QNX, Android, and Windows Embedded Automotive (aka Ford Sync), and there could be others.

Supporting CarPlay isn't different in concept to supporting GPSs or BlueTooth phone connectivity - it's a set of APIs that lets CarPlay hook into whatever underlying OS it is running on top of.
    05-31-14 05:16 PM
    I work at BestBuy in the home theater department. I know this but an LED costs like $15 a year to run.. a plasma only costs roughly $10 more a year ($25 a year). I'd take the quality of that over an led any day. And you won't go bankrupt over $25 a year.

The only other variable is the weight and mobility of the tv. But when do you ever move a tv?

But anyways..
    Mmm...what I do know is that sometime ago when I investigated purchasing a plasma, from Best Buy, the knock on them at the time was energy consumption. Even the employees then conceded that being the biggest factor in slow sales. Maybe it is cheaper now, and if so, great! I'm in the market for a smart TV so I'll be able to check.
    06-01-14 04:47 AM
    Seems unlikely imo, but stranger things have happened in tech. The iot is a new field though, I don't think it's true that blackberry is way behind. It's a question of whether blackberry would ever be able to come up with a revolutionary product again

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 04:53 AM
    Sorry but I think you misinterpreted what Scale said, which is that the big tech companies don't see BB's potential in IoT, since they are flush with cash and to our knowledge have made no effort to buy BB, despite the company being very cheap.

Your response then goes on to say that companies can come back from the brink, just look at iPhone and Apple. Your response is a mismatch to the original statment made by Scale.

I agree with you there is no way of knowing for sure what will end up being a successful product. Therefore it's possible BB could become the biggest player in IOTs and the tech giants would have made a big mistake not acquiring BB.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using CB Forums mobile app
    I've seen so many posts harking BBM will be the "It" IM platform then WhatsApp gets purchased. Same with the BB10 phones with the HUB and Flick keyboard revolutionizing the way we use smartphones then Nokia gets purchased. No offers for BlackBerry back then. Now IoT is being mentioned. There seems to be a pattern here.
    06-01-14 05:31 AM
    I've seen so many posts harking BBM will be the "It" IM platform then WhatsApp gets purchased. Same with the BB10 phones with the HUB and Flick keyboard revolutionizing the way we use smartphones then Nokia gets purchased. No offers for BlackBerry back then. Now IoT is being mentioned. There seems to be a pattern here.
    "Pattern " does not always equal "Actual" in real life. It is not sufficient reason for you to assume that it might not happen.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 06:18 AM
    "Pattern " does not always equal "Actual" in real life. It is not sufficient reason for you to assume that it might not happen.

Posted via CB10
    Of course there's a chance. Probability-wise though, unlikely.
    06-01-14 07:06 AM
    I work at BestBuy in the home theater department. I know this but an LED costs like $15 a year to run.. a plasma only costs roughly $10 more a year ($25 a year). I'd take the quality of that over an led any day. And you won't go bankrupt over $25 a year.

The only other variable is the weight and mobility of the tv. But when do you ever move a tv?

But anyways..
    What about the glare you get off a plasma? Or the intense amount of heat they give off compared to LED?
    06-01-14 08:08 PM
    Your "logic" or example is a little flawed.....

No one, not even Steve Jobs could have predicted the popularity of the iPhone. (Mike and Jim sure didn't)
    But when Apple released the iPhone they were already pushing $140 a share - not sure who could have afforded to buy them back then.
    You would have to go back to the mid 90's to find Apple is a vulnerable position where buying them would have been an option.... and would have made no sense as they didn't have anything at that time. And if you bought them and Steve Jobs left... they most likely never would have had anything.

BlackBerry is C H E A P right now! If their "Internet of Things" and M2M is so great and they truly have the inside track.... If QNX and the embedded OS automotive market is going to bring in Billions.... If BES12 is the answer that all the enterprise world is waiting for.....

I'm not saying that none of this will happen. Just that if Google were all that worried about BlackBerry "stealing" anything, they are in a position right now to stop them. You can assume that everyone at Apple, Google, Microsoft, HP and a dozen other tech companies are BLIND... or maybe they understand more about the "Internet of Things" than we do.
    I'm certain that Apple and Google strongly considered buying BlackBerry. My guess is they assumed BlackBerry was going bankruptcy anyway and they'd get what they wanted in a fire sale shortly.
    06-01-14 10:25 PM
    I'm certain that Apple and Google strongly considered buying BlackBerry. My guess is they assumed BlackBerry was going bankruptcy anyway and they'd get what they wanted in a fire sale shortly.
    I see most of what Chen does as "pumping" BlackBerry like any penny stock promoter does. Most large companies don't put themselves up for sale as publicly as BlackBerry did, but that doesn't mean that aren't interested in selling the company at the right price. Apparently BlackBerry got some offers, maybe PW and Chen believe they can get more value out of the company by better showing it. Back then BBMx and Channels were the big thing that was going to be worth Billions all by it's self..... oh well.
    Now they are telling us that BES12 is what companies have been waiting years for.... Exactly which companies are telling them this?
    And too there is BlackBerry's vision of the "Internet of Things", meanwhile others all ready have devices communicating to one another via the Internet.
    Also a lot of talk about the Z3, how many device did they sell for the preorder and the two weeks it was on the market before the quarter closed. Some say there was an initial order of 25,000..... lot of guess about how they actually did. But Indonesia should sell about 14,000,000 (some say maybe as much as 20 million) smartphones this year. So that's 270,000 a week and right around 540,000 in a two week period. So to regain any kind of dominance as a smartphone manufacture in Indonesia, how many device do you feel BlackBerry needed to sell during their Grand Launch of the Z3? 200K....... 300K......? do you really believe they sold that many?

Chen job is not to turn BlackBerry around, but to get them a better price than what was offered. Unfortunately like most renovation problems he is finding that maybe the structure wasn't as sound as was hoped and it's going to be hard to "flip this house".
    notfanboy likes this.
    06-02-14 03:35 PM
84 ... 234