"Can Blackberry seize the moment?"

Yes, release the BlackBerry Passport 2 and BlackBerry Z50 running OS 10. It'll make many people happy, but they sadly won't do it.
    09-10-16 02:44 PM

Yes, release the BlackBerry Passport 2 and BlackBerry Z50 running OS 10. It'll make many people happy, but they sadly won't do it.
    Many?
    09-10-16 02:54 PM
    The article's author is the epitome of "grasping at straws."

The majority of Apple's customers aren't complaining about having to buy a new iPhone every 5 years - they're more likely to complain that Apple gives them an opportunity to buy a new model only once a year!
    I couldn't have put it better.

A huge thing with Apple is the Ecosystem lock-in, even when they want to leave its hard and there is no other more complete ecosystem.

My last 2 tablets have been iPads, an iPad 4 and now a iPad Air 2, and I am quite simply stuck in iOS due to how seamlessly everything integrates and the brilliant tablet apps.

BB would need to have a gigantic budget to take advantage of whatever the author is talking about, not just for marketing but software and a great repair network globally.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-10-16 03:08 PM
    BlackBerry had plenty of opportunities to succeed without relying on another company slipping up, but it never seemed to get it right.
    09-10-16 03:29 PM
    What moment? The latest click-bait article predicting Apple's doom? The temporary butt hurt about the headphone jack? Gimme a break. Apple may not sell 13M units in one weekend, or 75M in the holiday quarter like last year, but they're going to sell a crap-ton of iPhones and make a crap-ton of money. Even if that didn't happen, what could a company selling 500K-1M units a quarter possibly do to take advantage of it?
    Exactly. Now, in addition to the conservative estimates of $180 000 000 to $350 000 000 spent by Americans alone PER YEAR on replacing broken iPhone screens since 2007 (

* this is just one of many articles about the cost of ownership to the very loyal Apple consumers. e.g. Link1 http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...red-2013-05-22,

Link 2 https://www.wired.com/2015/07/apple-...s-makes-money/,

Link 3 http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...iphone-screen/

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 03:49 PM
    Exactly. Now, in addition to the conservative estimates of $180 000 000 to $350 000 000 spent by Americans alone PER YEAR on replacing broken iPhone screens since 2007 (

* this is just one of many articles about the cost of ownership to the very loyal Apple consumers. e.g. Link1 http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...red-2013-05-22,

Link 2 https://www.wired.com/2015/07/apple-...s-makes-money/,

Link 3 http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...iphone-screen/

Posted via CB10
    Whatever the cost of ownership is, Apple has hundreds of millions of satisfied customers that are willing to pay it. That, and having $200B+ in cash are "problems" BlackBerry would love to have.
    Last edited by MikeX74; 09-10-16 at 07:14 PM.
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    09-10-16 04:04 PM
    Whatever the cost ownership is, Apple has hundreds of millions of satisfied customers that are willing to pay it. That, and having $200B+ in cash are "problems" BlackBerry would love to have.
    No disagreement here. It would be a new problem for BlackBerry to overcome, and I hope they wouldn't drop the ball.

Q10  OS 10.3.1.2474  Z30
    09-10-16 04:08 PM
    I loved my Bold 9900 and love my P'9983 Graphite on BB10. I am very disappointed BlackBerry has let itself come to this.
    Nevertheless I believe BlackBerry will soon pass into mobile history. I'm not sure there's much they or anyone else can 'seize' now. Even on Android, the DETEK50 is a sad disappointment.
    What iPhone addict in his/her right mind would choose an obsolete Alcatel mobile revamped by BlackBerry because Apple rationalizes space on its most recent, cutting-edge device?
    Really?!
    Before an old Alcatel Android, I'd look at the P9 by Huawei that at least puts force a few original qualities.

Posted via CB10
    Iphone addicts in their right mind are few and far between.

I wouldn't trust anything from Huawaei, although I don't know if some of their stuff is still banned. I think that I remember reading that some ex huawei employees are having difficulties immigrating to Canada and we let almost anybody in.

Posted via CB10
    early2bed and stlabrat like this.
    09-10-16 04:14 PM
    Many?
    Of course! Even you'd be secretly (or openly?) very, very excited about it!
    09-10-16 04:59 PM
    Apple is a consumer electronics company, like Samsung. BlackBerry never really was that, even when they were selling millions of phones. They were a network operations services firm that had phones as the final link in the chain.

They did have a great product design team at one time. But it's just not their focus. Unless your company's name is Apple, there's just not enough potential profit in handsets to justify the risks of a major new investment.

They will make more money with secure Enterprise solutions for the enterprise market, and productivity apps for the retail market.

Don't expect any big bets on hardware, EVEN IF THEY ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL with their Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-10-16 06:12 PM

Since the mass market of consumers ignored the original Passport and Z series phones, releasing another generation of these devices wouldn't have any impact at all.
    09-10-16 06:24 PM
    That "moment" passed BlackBerry by about 10 years ago.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-10-16 06:43 PM
    That's perhaps the dumbest article I have read in a while. Well, except for that Seeking Alpha article from the other day which proclaimed the BlackBerry Hamburg was releasing soon, neglecting the fact that the Hamburg was the DTEK50 lol.

Also: Never trust an article which spells BlackBerry without two capital B's. eg: Blackberry.
    Some things never change . We are known for making super stars (companies, celebrities, etc), and the media enjoys bringing them down. Anything for a story.
    09-10-16 08:11 PM
    Whatever the cost of ownership is, Apple has hundreds of millions of satisfied customers that are willing to pay it.
    But those of us who get fed up with Apple, never go back. I got my first BlackBerry, instead of an iPhone, when my iPod battery failed and I learned the aluminum case needs to be destroyed, and replaced, to get at the battery.

BB, Still the One
    09-10-16 11:11 PM
    Really bad article as many here have said. It is hard to believe it even got published by a known source like Financial Post. I am sticking with bb10 for a while yet but in my view, Apple has a longer service life than anybody.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-11-16 02:45 AM
    Needing a blue tooth ear phone is a non starter for me. Something else to charge.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 09:22 AM
    Needing a blue tooth ear phone is a non starter for me. Something else to charge.

Posted via CB10
    Who said you needed Bluetooth earphones?
    09-11-16 10:04 AM
    Who said you needed Bluetooth earphones?
    I know that I don't need one.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 10:15 AM
    I know that I don't need one.

Posted via CB10
    Ok.
    09-11-16 10:21 AM
    The article left me confused. How is Blackberry supposed to "take advantage" of Apple demanding that its acolytes use bluetooth headsets?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 04:32 PM
    Off topic debate rolled back, have another go but let's stay on topic.
    09-11-16 08:24 PM
    The article left me confused. How is Blackberry supposed to "take advantage" of Apple demanding that its acolytes use bluetooth headsets?

Posted via CB10
    I guess the author was so eager to publish his click-bait that he forgot(or ignored) the fact that wired Lightning earphones and an adapter will come with every new iPhone 7 and because, I don't know, reasons, assumed folks would ignore options from companies like Samsung or LG and run to BlackBerry. "Journalism." Nobody is making anyone use BT earphones. The AirPods have been such a focal point of the removal story that other parts of it have gotten lost.
    09-12-16 04:09 AM
    But those of us who get fed up with Apple, never go back. I got my first BlackBerry, instead of an iPhone, when my iPod battery failed and I learned the aluminum case needs to be destroyed, and replaced, to get at the battery.

BB, Still the One
    Fair point.
    09-12-16 06:26 AM
    Actually, you just need a $9 dongle to use your standard earphones - included with iPhone 7. That's it. No need to change mobile platforms. There are also compatible earphones phones included so you can use your new ones or old ones from day one.

The real switching opportunity is what Galaxy Note customers are going to be doing as they return their recalled smartphones for a full refund without a replacement device of the same caliber. That's really going to boost sales of the new iPhone.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-12-16 06:49 AM
    If I was in Chen's shoes from day 1 of his tenure, my priorities would have been;

1. Full cross platform BBM audio/video.
    2. Every Blackberry ships from the factory with BBM protected enabled.
    3. You can activate BBM protected on other platforms for a nominal subscription (5-10 a year) using a process slightly less complicated than going to the moon.
    4. Would not have removed music/movies from BBW.
    5. Would not have released the Z3/Leap/Passport. The passport is a nice phone, but the R and D costs are too high.
    6. Would have simultaneously released a Z50/Classic as the flagship/fleet BB10 devices going forward.
    7. Would have never abandoned the Playbook. Would not have released a successor and probably would not have made major improvements but would have kept some people around to keep the device somewhat updated and usable. A company that is losing marketshare cannot abandon users lightly.
    8. If I thought it was necessary to abandon BB10 and move to android, would have worked out an M/A with Blackphone and simultaneously released the Classic and the BP2 with some higher end design features as Blackberry devices with the hub and BBM protected out of the box.

Zero dollars spent on R and D for the Passport or Priv. One less competitor in the secure android space, and no R and D on your own pseduo-secure android OS that isn't.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and TCB on Z10 like this.
    09-12-16 06:57 AM
53 123