Do BlackBerry security enhancements provide what most users need? When I think about my security needs, first, I need my phone to be locked to anyone else who may physically obtain it. Second, I need my certain apps to be locked for the times that I might allow others to handle my phone. As I use my smartphone for more sensitive things like financial transactions, home automation, and messaging, it needs to be locked and encrypted at all times.

For most purposes all the Android and iOS phones have these features, just don't expect a form of encryption that the Five Eyes governments cannot get round. If you just want to protect yourself against common thieves then you're safe.
    early2bed and TgeekB like this.
    11-10-16 11:53 PM
    I would say NOT A CHANCE IN HELL...

why ?

The core root of the files the kernel etc is still 'Android/Linux'

BB10 was/is a whole new ballgame.
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-11-16 12:10 AM
    No because BlackBerry makes just apps for Android. Not the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 and sorinv like this.
    11-11-16 02:05 AM
    I would say NOT A CHANCE IN HELL...

why ?

The core root of the files the kernel etc is still 'Android/Linux'

BB10 was/is a whole new ballgame.
    That is just plain wrong. Linux distributions use Linux kernel (who would have thought) and they are considered pretty safe in the desktop market; at least more secure then Windows.
    11-11-16 03:36 AM
    That is just plain wrong. Linux distributions use Linux kernel (who would have thought) and they are considered pretty safe in the desktop market; at least more secure then Windows.
    more secure than window? you mean that suppose to be very comforting? Lost phone is very common, but not "lost" desktop, even laptop...
    11-11-16 07:30 AM
    Android is way more open than OS10 - so it will take some more OS versions to bring it to OS10's level.
    I don't say that it isn't able to catch up - but I'm doubting that the next version is on the level of OS10.

Posted via CB10
    Chen said their enhancements of Nougat would make Android as secure as BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 07:36 AM
    more secure than window? you mean that suppose to be very comforting? Lost phone is very common, but not "lost" desktop, even laptop...
    most hacking attempts are done remotely, so network and remote access security is much more important. in that regard the linux kernel is not considered a disadvantage.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-11-16 09:50 AM
    most hacking attempts are done remotely, so network and remote access security is much more important. in that regard the linux kernel is not considered a disadvantage.
    agree on linux - still elite programmer majority..(IBM main frame use linux too). window is a bit different.. microsoft decided to OS for the masses programmer. Similarly, Java, droid, open source are for even more masses... if you want secure, look like selection language,target application builder quality and quantity (number of programmer) are needed to be determined as early as possible. droid is still a open wild west.. free OS, anything goes... unless you want to start new, not make backward compatible.. (just check app quality... how many set permissions? not mention how easy to create a fake app... with masses...)... personally, if BB10 OS as foundation to build on, is much better (I am a share holder, but that not influence my opinion in this matter).
    11-11-16 10:42 AM
    Plain wrong?

Linux is VERY SECURE Unix is more secure...

Windows is terrible

BB10 however is unix built no? therefore it's more secure than linux.

Android is built on 'LINUX' and believe me when i say this, linux isn't as secure as you may think. (yes shes secure but i'll rather use unix than linux)

agree on linux - still elite programmer majority..(IBM main frame use linux too). window is a bit different.. microsoft decided to OS for the masses programmer. Similarly, Java, droid, open source are for even more masses... if you want secure, look like selection language,target application builder quality and quantity (number of programmer) are needed to be determined as early as possible. droid is still a open wild west.. free OS, anything goes... unless you want to start new, not make backward compatible.. (just check app quality... how many set permissions? not mention how easy to create a fake app... with masses...)... personally, if BB10 OS as foundation to build on, is much better (I am a share holder, but that not influence my opinion in this matter).
    IBM use linux for certain systems (but for serious software and data they use unix)

- Trust me... as i work in IBM.
    11-11-16 07:22 PM
    Plain wrong?

Linux is VERY SECURE Unix is more secure...

Windows is terrible

Android is built on 'LINUX' and believe me when i say this, linux isn't as secure as you may think. (yes shes secure but i'll rather use unix than linux)

IBM use linux for certain systems (but for serious software and data they use unix)

497 of the top 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux. Don't take my word for it
    https://www.top500.org/statistics/details/osfam/1
    11-11-16 09:37 PM
    497 of the top 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux. Don't take my word for it
    Well i wasn't talking about that was i? lol.

I know what i deal with.

Anyway

Linux
    Unix

Secure but to dog is unix.
    11-11-16 11:06 PM

Well i wasn't talking about that was i? lol.

I know what i deal with.
    Well what were you talking about then?
    I believe those 497 of 500 the top supercomputers in the world are doing serious work with serious data.
    Since you brought it up, what exactly do you do at IBM and why should I trust you?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 11-12-16 at 12:31 AM.
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-12-16 12:16 AM
    Well, baby steps. Let's see if they can get their droid phones to have user selectable app permissions like Blackphone and Windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    Android already has selectable app permissions. It's been there since 6.0.1.

Some of us have had it since 4.4 (via root and 'app ops')
    11-12-16 12:29 AM
    I don't think that Boeing would have used Android for its phone if it was the security nightmare that some would have you believe.
    Indeed! BUT, People have to make themselves feel better about the Dead OS they chose to support, hence all the 'Android is not safe' BS.
    Ronindan likes this.
    11-12-16 03:02 AM
    QNX > Android
    11-12-16 04:41 AM
    QNX > Android
    You are comparing apples to chickens.

QNX is not a mobile OS

BB10 > Android is a better comparison.
    Although some would argue that BB10 < Android.
    11-12-16 09:27 AM
    Supercomputers are productive but doesn't mean they are secured. Fail

Posted via CB10
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    11-12-16 07:52 PM
    BB10 uses QNX as its foundation.
    QNX is not unix.
    11-12-16 08:20 PM
    Supercomputers are productive but doesn't mean they are secured. Fail

Posted via CB10
    supercomputer at least has less "hole-ly" (crappy) application software...compare to droid... hacking is difficult... - in a way, it is much more sucure compare to droid. (possibly, the consequence to hack supercomputer is more life altering event that prevent some activity... that beside the point).
    11-12-16 08:26 PM
    I'd prefer a 'phone' that doesn't have everything wide-open in the first place. Something that is actually primarily a communications appliance and not a general purpose PC squeezed inside something that vaguely resembles a mobile telephone.
    Android is primarily a communication appliance... it communicates 24x7 with Google about everything :-D

 C L A S S I C
    11-12-16 11:51 PM
    I just need the hub right there when you swipe the home screen.I hope we get this feature in upcoming mercury or through software updates in Dtek series.

That one gesture is such a nice feature which will help professionals who use BlackBerry for work.

Sent from Passport
    11-13-16 08:41 AM
    I bet Google is wondering the same thing: Google's new Pixel phone hacked in 60 seconds
    11-13-16 09:19 PM
    If you are able to crack open OS10 you might have access to more delicate data than on Android.
    There is a reason why some companies have to use it over Android.

Posted via CB10
    Most of the Enterprise security would come from BES surely
    11-14-16 10:57 AM
    Most of the Enterprise security would come from BES surely
    True that.
    But the handset is an perfect access point for that.
    11-14-16 01:10 PM
    Read recently that Google Play store app itself is feeding back to Google .every Android phone, including DTEK 60 has Play Store app. So much for security

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 07:55 PM
61 123