Configurable IoT chips present new hacking risks - TechRepublic

These researchers reckon they've got something "unhackable". Despite the chips being reconfigurable.
    Hey, maybe BlackBerry should just hire or buy them... :-)

On the other hand, a chip that is buggy and is not reconfigurable might pose the same or similar risk from a different angle. I just don't want my (future) connected toaster to blow up and burn down the house, haha...

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-29-15 03:42 PM
    BlackBerry is about communications security.

These guys want to prevent accessing the chips, even on site.... Or making the chips smart enough to know when a command will be counter to their purpose. They might be a good group of guys to hire - if BlackBerry is planning on designing and building hardware.

But as far as I know, they aren't working on IoT hardware solutions, only software and services.

I wonder how Linux compares to QNX.... as I've seen a number of other IoT products that mention Linux as the OS.
    06-29-15 03:57 PM
    BlackBerry is about communications security.

These guys want to prevent accessing the chips, even on site.... Or making the chips smart enough to know when a command will be counter to their purpose. They might be a good group of guys to hire - if BlackBerry is planning on designing and building hardware.

But as far as I know, they aren't working on IoT hardware solutions, only software and services.

I wonder how Linux compares to QNX.... as I've seen a number of other IoT products that mention Linux as the OS.
    This is exactly the point. How are you going to make software secure if your hardware's firmware is rooted or otherwise compromised?

BlackBerry phones have a hardware security chain, even in manufacturing...

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-29-15 04:35 PM