I currently have BB 8820 synchronizing effectively with my work network. I primarily use outlook on laptop that goes between work and home. When I'm off the network, BB does not sync with my laptop.

I have never installed BB desktop manager cd that came with the blackberry; had been synchronizing only with network, as that's what my IT department suggested/supported.

Question #1
    Will syncing w/ the BB w/ tablet in addition to the network screw up any outlook files?

Question #2:
    If I sync BB w/ tablet, do we need to change any settings on the network side?
    09-11-08 08:45 AM
    By synchronizing with the network, do you mean you are a BES user? If you are, then your synchronization will continue to be OTA and you won't be able to or need to synch using Desktop Manager. You should install Desktop Manager so you can make backups and install other applications.

If you are not a BES user, then I don't understand your question well enough to answer.
    09-11-08 09:38 AM
    By synchronizing with the network, do you mean you are a BES user? If you are, then your synchronization will continue to be OTA and you won't be able to or need to synch using Desktop Manager. You should install Desktop Manager so you can make backups and install other applications.

If you are not a BES user, then I don't understand your question well enough to answer.
    We do use BES.

Can I still use Desktop Manager?
    If not, then how do I install other applications?

My main goal here is to sync BB and laptop when OFF the network.

Thanks
    09-11-08 10:24 AM
    Yes, as a BES user you can still use Desktop Manager to make backups and install applications. That's how I use it. You don't use it to synch your calendar, contacts, email, tasks, and notes to Outlook, because they are synched OTA.

When you say "sync BB and laptop when off the network," do you mean synching something other than the five apps that BES synchs OTA? I don't synch anything else, and I'm not sure what else you could be trying to synch. Help me understand what you're trying to synch, and maybe I can help you.
    09-11-08 10:30 AM
    Yes, as a BES user you can still use Desktop Manager to make backups and install applications. That's how I use it. You don't use it to synch your calendar, contacts, email, tasks, and notes to Outlook, because they are synched OTA.

When you say "sync BB and laptop when off the network," do you mean synching something other than the five apps that BES synchs OTA? I don't synch anything else, and I'm not sure what else you could be trying to synch. Help me understand what you're trying to synch, and maybe I can help you.
    I use Outlook on the laptop in cached exchange mode. When off the network (eg at home), the laptop does not synchronize with the network until it is brought back to the office and once again on the network. because of reduced functionality in Web version of outlook, I greatly prefer full Outlook on the laptop.

What I really want to do here is synchronize the blackberry with outlook when I the laptop is OFF the network, in addition to synchronizing as I have been when in the office.

Additionally, synchronizing through the network does not allow me to synchronize multiple calendars for instance my wife's and children's calendars. Would I be able to do that with desktop manager?

I'm wondering what other BB functionality I might be missing by synchronizing only through the network.
    09-11-08 10:44 AM
    I use Outlook on the laptop in cached exchange mode. When off the network (eg at home), the laptop does not synchronize with the network until it is brought back to the office and once again on the network. because of reduced functionality in Web version of outlook, I greatly prefer full Outlook on the laptop.

What I really want to do here is synchronize the blackberry with outlook when I the laptop is OFF the network, in addition to synchronizing as I have been when in the office.

Additionally, synchronizing through the network does not allow me to synchronize multiple calendars for instance my wife's and children's calendars. Would I be able to do that with desktop manager?

I'm wondering what other BB functionality I might be missing by synchronizing only through the network.
    I use the full Outlook on my laptop as well, not the web client version. To my knowledge, there is no way to synch the BlackBerry to the laptop when the laptop does not have a network connection. But there's no need to. The BlackBerry will still get all five apps synched OTA via BES. If the Outlook inbox on the laptop isn't updating because there's no network access, then I just work using the BlackBerry.

OS4.5 may allow you to synch multiple calendars. I've seen posts referring to calendars being associated with email addresses, so that might mean it's possible. We're still running OS4.2. I only have one calendar in Outlook that I synch to the BlackBerry, so I can't say if Desktop Manager can support multiple calendars.

I still get the feeling we're talking past each other, or that I'm not understanding your question.
    09-11-08 10:56 AM
    I use the full Outlook on my laptop as well, not the web client version. To my knowledge, there is no way to synch the BlackBerry to the laptop when the laptop does not have a network connection. But there's no need to. The BlackBerry will still get all five apps synched OTA via BES. If the Outlook inbox on the laptop isn't updating because there's no network access, then I just work using the BlackBerry.

OS4.5 may allow you to synch multiple calendars. I've seen posts referring to calendars being associated with email addresses, so that might mean it's possible. We're still running OS4.2. I only have one calendar in Outlook that I synch to the BlackBerry, so I can't say if Desktop Manager can support multiple calendars.

I still get the feeling we're talking past each other, or that I'm not understanding your question.
    I need Outlook (especially tasks, calendar) OFF the network frequently, and prefer the functionality of FULL Outlook; that's why I'd like to sync the BB and Laptop esp when I won't be on the network for a while (weekends, travel).

Let's say it's Friday night and I won't be on the network again until Monday. A new calendar or task item is created on the BB or the laptop. Until I am back on the network, I won't have full data on either BB or laptop.

While off the network
    -If I am at home, I use the laptop.
    -If I am away from home (no laptop access... BB more portable), I use the blackberry for e-mail; for calendar/tasks I print them out from the laptop if there is something I need to refer to. basically this is what I would like to clean up...

Thank you for your patience here.

Any further suggestions?
    09-11-08 11:14 AM
    If you need your tasks and calendar entries on your laptop to be up to date at all times with your BlackBerry, then you need broadband access at home, so you can put your laptop on the net. Depending on your security implementation, you may need VPN access to get it to work. Alternatively, you could get a tethering plan and use your BlackBerry as a modem to provide network access to your pc.

If you're using the laptop that heavily away from the office, a broadband connection makes sense. I use a wireless router and my home wireless lan.

I don't know any other way to synch data between a BlackBerry on BES and a pc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-08 12:26 PM
    If you need your tasks and calendar entries on your laptop to be up to date at all times with your BlackBerry, then you need broadband access at home, so you can put your laptop on the net. Depending on your security implementation, you may need VPN access to get it to work. Alternatively, you could get a tethering plan and use your BlackBerry as a modem to provide network access to your pc.

If you're using the laptop that heavily away from the office, a broadband connection makes sense. I use a wireless router and my home wireless lan.

I don't know any other way to synch data between a BlackBerry on BES and a pc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    -have broadband at home; laptop on it daily
    -will have to check to see if IT dept will let me VPN in (doubt it)
    09-11-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD