I was hoping gps would actually work right on this phone. I'm guessing it doesn't use the real gps but the cell location thing because ubertwitter/poynt/image geotagging come up with locations that are a bit off.

I was actually wondering why (on verizon) tweetgenius fails to insert my location everytime. I like it better than ubertwitter but ubertwitter grabs my location, although incorrectly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 02:57 PM
    In Options/Advanced Options/GPS, do you have GPS Services set to Location On?

08-02-09 03:15 PM
    Yea I do, and I gave tweetgenius the permission to use it.

08-02-09 03:27 PM
    hmm
    what do you mean by off? as in 10 feet, or 100 yards?
    08-02-09 03:33 PM
    I'm not sure. Def more than 10 ft because it put me on a street 5 min away. And like I said, it doesn't work at all on tweetgenius.

08-02-09 03:48 PM
    I have the same problem, the internal GPS never kick in... with any program, it puts me like a 1/2- 1 mile away from my real location.
    08-02-09 03:49 PM
    Make sure GPS is turned on. I know of people that said it was only to find out they did not have it set correctly. Other than that, I have not had a single issue with GPS using google maps.
    08-02-09 04:06 PM
    I have gps set to location with the location aid thing enabled. It also works for me with google maps. However other programs it doesn't work as well or (rweetgenius) not at all.

08-02-09 04:10 PM
    I coudn"t get the gps to work even with google maps and I have location set to on, I know its working fine with BB maps though.
    08-02-09 04:23 PM
    I couldn't get the GPS to work either. Google Maps and BB Maps couldn't find any satellites. But after doing a hard reset, it worked immediately and has continued without further problems.

08-02-09 04:25 PM
    GPS was always off for me until I disabled location assistance. Location assistance put me at the location of what I assume to be the tower, and then updated like a minute later with my actual location (I have gps enabled). It really helps to have a clear line of sight to the sky, so your GPS may not be correct if you are in the middle of a building. It should definitely get within 3m of your location for the real GPS, though.
    08-02-09 04:51 PM
    Its funny how this keeps coming up, i have a new Tour en route but the one im currently using the GPS only works with sprint nav and BB maps. I dont get Gmaps works on only some phones, doesnt work on mine.
    08-02-09 04:55 PM
    tower triangulation should be more accurate than 1/2 - 1 mile away from the real location, with my touch pro I can get an accurate position in the basement.
    08-02-09 07:24 PM
    Silly question, but are you using your GPS indoors? It is going to give you an "off" location if you're indoors.
    08-02-09 07:31 PM
    You really do need clear line of sight to the sky for GPS to work accurately. When I say clear line of site i mean the phone needs to have clear line of sight so if it's in your pocket or holster it might not work.
    Otherwise it'll use the cell towers in Google Maps to come up with an approx location.

that's my two cents.
    08-02-09 07:37 PM
    You really do need clear line of sight to the sky for GPS to work accurately. When I say clear line of site i mean the phone needs to have clear line of sight so if it's in your pocket or holster it might not work.
    Otherwise it'll use the cell towers in Google Maps to come up with an approx location.

that's my two cents.
    That's why I asked if they were trying to use it indoors
    08-02-09 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD