Simple question, apparently no answers though. Is it possible to connect to the internet on my BLACKBERRY (9900) (as in, using bbm with no phone mast signal for example) by connecting the phone to my PC via USB. I have no router, only an Ethernet port that leads to a central hub half a mile away. I also have no wireless.

Thank you!
    10-11-12 10:07 AM
    So you want to do a backwards internet sharing per se? i.e. use the internet from your computer on your phone? I have not heard of that being done before...
    10-11-12 10:14 AM
    Reverse tethering isn't possible from my experience. Does your PC have a wireless NIC? You could bridge the network connections and broadcast wirelessly.
    10-11-12 10:14 AM
    Nope, not do-able. I THINK a 9900 can do BBM over WiFi, but not tethered.
    10-11-12 10:25 AM
    Don't think it would work either. You would be able to surf the internet from a laptop running a USB dongle (turn your computer into a WiFi hub), but I am not sure if you would have BBM abilities.

@Thunderbuck - You can turn off your Mobile Data and still have BBM working (someone tested/noticed it a few months ago)
    10-11-12 10:29 AM
    Mike, that sounds possible! I'll do some research. My PC has wireless - how can I broadcast?
    10-11-12 10:32 AM
    Simple question, apparently no answers though. Is it possible to connect to the internet on my BLACKBERRY (9900) (as in, using bbm with no phone mast signal for example) by connecting the phone to my PC via USB. I have no router, only an Ethernet port that leads to a central hub half a mile away. I also have no wireless.

Thank you!
    It *might* be possible to use an ad-hoc wireless connection to do this, but I doubt it. The device needs network connectivity, and I doubt you can share the network connection on your PC to establish this, especially through USB. You *might* be able to write your own custom drivers for this, and would likely require an application be installed on your device as well.
    10-11-12 10:37 AM
    Take a look here for windows instructions: How To Make A Wifi Hotspot For Free On Your Windows PC | TheDailyBuggle

Should be possible on other OSs too, but I don't have instructions handy.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-11-12 10:38 AM
    Mike, that sounds possible! I'll do some research. My PC has wireless - how can I broadcast?
    If it is your work PC, you may want to check with your ID department before doing it.
    10-11-12 11:00 AM