Camera GPS.

In the menu, Camera Options, it list �Geotagging� with choices of Enabled or Disabled. If I choose enabled, doesn�t that mean it will attach GPS ( geo-referenced) coordinates to the picture? If so, where are these coordinates, I can�t locate them?
    Last edited by solo2; 04-11-09 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Please RE-Post to a correct forum. Sorry forgot what I was in.
    04-11-09 02:30 PM
    Yeah when I enable it, I still see the GPS icon in red. Don't know how to get it to work.... It supposedly works with Google maps.... I will be keeping an eye on this thread...

I wanna know too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 02:42 PM
    If you have satellites in view and geotagging enabled, the lat/lon coordinates are embedded in the exif header of the image.

Lots of programs can read the exif header (e.g., picasa, photoshop, iphoto)
    04-11-09 02:49 PM
    Yes. I believe flickr will use that info as well.
    04-11-09 03:02 PM
    To get it to work I have found I usually need to load up blackberry maps go to options start gps and then swith apps to camera. For some reason that usually kicks it in gear.

04-11-09 03:43 PM
    Maybe I just have my tin foil hat on too tight, or something, but I don't get why anyone would want the geotagging setting enabled.

Say, for example, you're at home taking what you believe is a very innocent photo of your kid doing something funny or cute, then you post it on FaceBook or Flickr or whatever else.

Then say, for example, that the wrong person happens to stumble by the photo. Maybe a friend of a friend of a friend that doesn't know you or where you live, but that you grudgingly accepted a "People You Might Know" invite from just to keep him/her from languishing in "friend invite purgatory." He sees the photo, and is much more interested in the large flat panel plasma TV hanging on the wall behind your kid than he is whatever you photographed your kid doing. The acquaintance finds out where you live from the GPS data, and the next thing you know, you get home from work a few days later and find that your house has been broken into and your plasma television and loads of other wares have been stolen.

Or, worse yet, say that a pedophile sees the photo, looks up the geotagging information, and finds to his pleasant surprise that you and your lovely child live only three miles away.

Again, I might be worrying far too much about it, but I am content knowing that my Geotagging setting is turned off.

Edit: Of course, if aGPS does not work well, or at all, indoors, I suppose the threat of this occurring is mitigated some, but it still worries me.
    Last edited by Curis; 04-11-09 at 04:42 PM.
    04-11-09 04:31 PM
    Maybe I just have my tin foil hat on too tight, or something, but I don't get why anyone would want the geotagging setting enabled.
    Yes, your tin foil hat is on a bit too tight. If you're that paranoid, you can 1. don't enable geotagging, or 2. don't upload photos to flickr/facebook. If you're worried about pedophiles browsing photos of your kids, don't share photos of your kids online.

Geotagging works great if you're traveling in a new area. Geotagging vacation photos is a great way to remind yourself where a photo was taken.

All technologies can be exploited for bad uses, but in this case, there's plenty that you can do as the camera owner / photo taker / photo uploader to protect privacy.
    04-11-09 05:09 PM
    To each his own.

04-11-09 05:32 PM
    you think the pictures you upload to FB still carry the geotag on them? im curious about this myself

Edit: I tried this with one of my own photos that is on FB and I know is geotagged, and Im not seeing anything from the file I downloaded from FB, don't know if that helps anyone
    Last edited by peterr22; 04-11-09 at 05:54 PM. Reason: tried it myself
    04-11-09 05:47 PM
    My examples may have been **** poor, but the technology does still concern me.

For those that enjoy the geotagging function, pay no mind to me. I spend most of my time indoors anyway, hiding from the unmarked helicopters hovering overhead.
    04-11-09 06:09 PM
    It works like other gps stuff -- wait for the gps icon on the camera to get a signal, then it will attach the location info to your pictures. The icon turns white when it has satellite lock. Once you take a photo with the white gps icon, you can select "show on map" from the menu in the media browser. Those of you with adhd might have trouble waiting for the icon on the camera to turn white, but that's the only way to get it to work. Bb maps doesn't need to be on.

04-11-09 07:06 PM
    To get it to work I have found I usually need to load up blackberry maps go to options start gps and then swith apps to camera. For some reason that usually kicks it in gear.

This just helps because BBMaps starts looking for sats.

It would be nice to be able to take a picture without location info but later get a sat lock and attach it to the picture. I think Picasa can do this but that's not on my phone.

04-11-09 09:52 PM
    you have to start BB maps and start the GPS in it to get geotagging to work with the camera. Even getting Google maps up doesn't do it. You can close BB maps and still get geotagging to work, so in theory you only have to start BB maps once after each battery pull.
    04-29-09 07:24 PM
    you have to start BB maps and start the GPS in it to get geotagging to work with the camera. Even getting Google maps up doesn't do it. You can close BB maps and still get geotagging to work, so in theory you only have to start BB maps once after each battery pull.
    Wrong. You do not need to start BB maps (or any other mapping program) for geotagging to work. Just as vatothe0 states, doing so only makes the initial lat/lon acquisition faster. Tested on .75 and .132.
    04-29-09 07:28 PM
    you think the pictures you upload to FB still carry the geotag on them? im curious about this myself

Edit: I tried this with one of my own photos that is on FB and I know is geotagged, and Im not seeing anything from the file I downloaded from FB, don't know if that helps anyone
    Facebook seems to strip the meta-data from the pic file. Normally pics taken with a Storm will identify the camera as a Blackberry 9530 along with other details. That data is missing from pics saved from albums

Most cases, I think unless the web online specifically supports geotagging it will be stripped. It's still wise to be aware of whether you have geotagging on
    04-29-09 08:23 PM
    can anyone confirm that VZW 8330's will work with geotagging without the VZNavigator feature? I've seen posts where people say it does work, and those that say it does not, but no reference to the VZNavigator. I have an 8330 and when I left work yesterday, I opened the camera and had the satellite icon with the ominous red X over it. I checked m y maps feature and I was connected to the GPS chip well enough to use the map software and track my speed and movement within moments of stepping outside. However, the red X remained as I walked to my car, and all the way home, which is about a 30 minute drive. I do not have the VZNavigator option and the geotagging does not seem to work for me. I'm running software version 4.5.0.77 and hacking the software is not an option for me, if it is even doable.
    Last edited by Taffer; 05-27-09 at 12:24 PM.
    05-27-09 12:20 PM
    if a pix has geotagging, and you upload it to like google earth, it will place the photo at the point where you took it, and other people can view them while browsing around in different spots on the map.

taffer, i'd say maybe go to the curve forum and ask there? we're all storm users, very few will have an answer for you here. good luck!
    05-27-09 12:54 PM
    Remember that for this to work, if you haven't already done so, you have to go into option -> advanced options -> gps and set GPS Services to Location On.
    05-27-09 01:17 PM
    snarfler, i keep trying to post dethklok quotes, but i'm worried that the mental voice i have of nathan explosion growling "comedyyyyyyyy" won't translate through the interwebz...
    05-27-09 01:21 PM
    can anyone confirm that VZW 8330's will work with geotagging without the VZNavigator feature? I've seen posts where people say it does work, and those that say it does not, but no reference to the VZNavigator. I have an 8330 and when I left work yesterday, I opened the camera and had the satellite icon with the ominous red X over it. I checked m y maps feature and I was connected to the GPS chip well enough to use the map software and track my speed and movement within moments of stepping outside. However, the red X remained as I walked to my car, and all the way home, which is about a 30 minute drive. I do not have the VZNavigator option and the geotagging does not seem to work for me. I'm running software version 4.5.0.77 and hacking the software is not an option for me, if it is even doable.
    Maybe it's the privilege settings for the camera program? If its blocked from just the camera and not the other map tools, that would do it. I know on my Storm it works fine without VZnav service, I don't even have VZnav installed.
    Last edited by jeffmeden; 05-27-09 at 02:57 PM. Reason: lol ok, no asterisks
    05-27-09 02:56 PM
    Thank you gentlmen! I have read these forums a few times in the past and did not notice this was a Storm only section. I see the breakdown at the top now, thanks.

The camera program is the default that loaded with 4.5.0.77, and VZNav is not installed. The GPS was set to Location already, and the geotagging enabled.

I'll move this to the Curve forums. I just wanted to answer the questions raised already. Have a great weekend all.
    05-28-09 08:42 AM
    You learn something new everyday on Crackberry
    05-28-09 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD