Question about GPS on the Storm (or all phones),

When the GPS is up and running, is your location being tracked by just the cell phone signal? Or is your unit really seeing satellites?

The reason I ask, is people say that when the Storm is out of its cell phone service area, it won't get GPS service.

Conversely, people say when it's inside...out of the line of sight of satellites, the GPS service still works, because the cell signal is there.

Adding to the confusion, I hear some posters discuss how many satellites the phone can see.

Now I know that GPS means 'Global Positioning System,' Not Global Positioning Satellite...' So even if used cell signals, technically the term GPS would be ok.

So...a question to the experts: how does it work?

100% cell?

Satellite?

Combination?

Thanks...I appreciate your help!
    12-13-08 12:08 PM
    It's an assisted GPS system, meaning that it mostly works from GPS satellites, but can get location information from the cell network (less accurately) when the satellite signal is unavailable. For example, when you're inside a concrete building where the cell signal can reach you but the GPS signal can't.

Navigation software such as VZNav also gets maps, traffic info, restaurants, etc. from the cell network.
    12-13-08 12:20 PM
    GPS is using the constellation of orbiting satellites. GPS itself does not use anything related to the cell network (except possibly the data network to display maps). You can get GPS without being in a cell network (e.g., that's how many stand-alone handheld Garmin units work).

aGPS uses a combination of those satellites and the cell phone network. There are many flavors of aGPS. aGPS is typically faster to acquire, because the cell network tells your phone which satellites to search for and/or processes data for your phone.

cell phone triangulation is not GPS or aGPS; it uses the cell towers to locate you. Depending on the implementation, many aGPS services use cell phone triangulation in combination with GPS.

Storm has both GPS and aGPS.

See wikipedia or other online resources to get more info.
    12-13-08 12:23 PM
    Also u gotta think most of verizons phones can use vznav if not all of them I highly doubt every phone that verizon carries has the gps chipset :/ the lg 8300 8500 8550 8700 9000 env all can use vznav n so can the razr n krazr :/ I don't think they can all get gps from satalites I think vznav is jus off cell signal on those phones

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 02:10 PM
    That helps a lot, thanks!

I'm using the Garmin on the Storm...solid as a rock.
    12-13-08 04:33 PM
    That Garmin software is amazing. If you notice while navigating it looks to use a combination of both Cell and GPS Sat's. It will use CELL for some of its features and GPS for the actual navigation it seems.

Did I say I love the garmin app??
    12-13-08 04:35 PM
    That Garmin software is amazing. If you notice while navigating it looks to use a combination of both Cell and GPS Sat's. It will use CELL for some of its features and GPS for the actual navigation it seems.

Did I say I love the garmin app??
    today i ran into the problem of that if you have no network then the GPS wont work either.. it just looks for SATs. i was in the mountains and everytime i lost the network signal i would also loose the GPS. Im absolutly sure that i had the ability to recieve SATs but because there was no network it couldnt send data to allow it to connect..

it would drop from 12 sats to 0 as soon as it couldnt comunicate.

if this is actualy going to be this way for good then im selling my STORM. ive had it with this POS
    12-13-08 07:47 PM
    today i ran into the problem of that if you have no network then the GPS wont work either.. it just looks for SATs. i was in the mountains and everytime i lost the network signal i would also loose the GPS. Im absolutly sure that i had the ability to recieve SATs but because there was no network it couldnt send data to allow it to connect..

it would drop from 12 sats to 0 as soon as it couldnt comunicate.

if this is actualy going to be this way for good then im selling my STORM. ive had it with this POS
    It was prolly that way because most GPS programs on cellphones don't store maps, they acquire them when they need them using a data connection. Anything from GMAPS, BBMaps, VZNav, and I'm pretty sure the Gamin one too(feel free to correct me on Garmin) It'll be the same with ANY phone that has GPS
    12-13-08 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD