Call me old fashion, however is this really the way that we want to see BlackBerry continue?

With the leaked specs/ info of the DTEK 60 and it pointing to a clone of the Idol 4S/Pro, it has me rethinking BlackBerry has my go to device.

I get that BlackBerry wants to keep a following, I want to be one of those people. However, taking the cheaper route and outsourcing their phones to a third party company like this just doesnt seem right. Honestly, it almost feels like BlackBerry has sold out/given up without coming outright and saying it.

Going this route of re-branding a Alcatel phone by putting a little BlackBerry sticker on the back isn't original. Sure the specs of the DTEK 60 seem legit and appealing. Can't fool me though, it's a Alcatel. Did I ever want an Idol phone? Nope. Did I want a sleek, all touch, high end phone by BlackBerry? Damn straight! Where is the engineering and originality of the PRIV?

I get that BlackBerry as a company is struggling. That isn't going to change overnight. If this is there way of phasing out the hardware division all together then say that. Come out and say, "BlackBerry is no longer producing phones. We are going to sell our software to the cheapest bidder and let them call it a BlackBerry."

At the same time too....I would be the first to buy a Samsung Note with the BlackBerry software...!

Keep in mind, I enjoy my PRIV. It's an amazing phone once you get used to it. It's a BlackBerry. In my eyes, DTEK 50/60, those are Alcatels.

TLDR: OP is bored and ranting about BlackBerry selling out and re-branding Alcatels...Make BlackBerry Great Again! (Can I say that, I am Canadian?)
    09-20-16 08:23 PM
    I hear you, but it is the best they can do, without having to get deeper into R&D debt...
    09-20-16 08:27 PM
    A slab is a slab is a slab.

A device built off a TCL reference design can hit the market at half the price of a BlackBerry-designed device. That may be the difference between the survival of the device business and not.
    zephyr613 and bh7171 like this.
    09-20-16 08:30 PM
    A slab is a slab is a slab.

A device built off a TCL reference design can hit the market at half the price of a BlackBerry-designed device. That may be the difference between the survival of the device business and not.
    True.

At the end of the day, perhaps the Joe Blow walking into the store see's a DTEK 60 and sees that it's a BlackBerry and that's all he cares about.
    If these two phones is what saves them the money to come out with a genuine BlackBerry then what's the worst that could happen...
    09-20-16 08:37 PM
    I just can't wait until there is a Blackberry with a fingerprint scanner and all of the people who have renounced it over the years will suddenly embrace it.
    09-20-16 08:59 PM
    I just can't wait until there is a Blackberry with a fingerprint scanner and all of the people who have renounced it over the years will suddenly embrace it.
    Haha I'm waiting for that day!
    And the ridiculous claims they will make up to justify it.

There's a few forum members that could probably make a career writing conspiracy fiction
    shaleem likes this.
    09-21-16 04:19 AM
    I recently bought a 5X and can't believe how nice and convenient it is to unlock with my fingerprint.
    I do understand though that my bank account is going to get broke into and that terrorists are going to cut off my finger to gain access to my phone, so I'm preparing for that.
    09-21-16 07:50 AM
    True.

At the end of the day, perhaps the Joe Blow walking into the store see's a DTEK 60 and sees that it's a BlackBerry and that's all he cares about.
    If these two phones is what saves them the money to come out with a genuine BlackBerry then what's the worst that could happen...
    I agree, but how is that going to happen without US carriers selling them (forget promoting them)? The DTEK50 is available here at Best Buy and thats it. Once out the door with the device you are on your own. I have heard of Best Buy stores assisting in helping users out connecting to certain carriers but that was not my experience lately.
    09-21-16 08:18 AM
    I recently bought a 5X and can't believe how nice and convenient it is to unlock with my fingerprint.
    I do understand though that my bank account is going to get broke into and that terrorists are going to cut off my finger to gain access to my phone, so I'm preparing for that.
    Simple solutions: spend all your money on Kevlar gloves before they can steal it from your bank account.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    09-21-16 08:26 AM
    Those phones are not true BlackBerries. BB10 phones are! The best of the best. I am waiting, waiting for the next BB10 Passport II!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 10:04 AM
    Those phones are not true BlackBerries. BB10 phones are! The best of the best. I am waiting, waiting for the next BB10 Passport II!

Posted via CB10
    Really hope you have a ton of food and water and popcorn. It's going to be a V E R Y long wait....
    vpblaze, JeepBB, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    09-21-16 10:08 AM
    Dtek60 has a fingerprint scanner.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 05:47 PM
    Dtek60 has a fingerprint scanner.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes, I'm aware.
    09-21-16 05:48 PM
    Call me old fashion.-66259065.jpg
    JeepBB and vpblaze like this.
    09-21-16 05:50 PM
    They tried the all touch BB10. They tried the top end BlackBerry / Android with Priv. They tried the cheap route with Dtek. You can't blame them for not trying.

I'm still on Z30 and might get another one despite eventual termination. I'm considering iOS even though unlikely.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 07:09 AM
    Isn't this type of practice fairly common? Apple doesn't manufacture its products either, right? Manufacturing is outsourced to Chinese companies I thought?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 07:20 AM
    Isn't this type of practice fairly common? Apple doesn't manufacture its products either, right? Manufacturing is outsourced to Chinese companies I thought?

Posted via CB10
    All of Apple's design and engineering is done in-house.

I think the OP is commenting on the fact that design and engineering aren't being don't by BB any longer. The DTEK50 (and 60) are off-the-shelf reference designs. Any vendor could go to TCL, purchase a bunch and then slap their logo and Android build on the device.
    JeepBB, vpblaze and TgeekB like this.
    09-23-16 08:02 AM
    Old fashioned

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    vpblaze likes this.
    09-23-16 08:54 PM
    Without BB10 you turn over everything to corporations and government with more and more apps on something you walk around with. Not smart.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    09-24-16 10:46 AM
    Without BB10 you turn over everything to corporations and government with more and more apps on something you walk around with. Not smart.

So because BB doesn't have the apps it desperately tried to get it's a safer choice? Right.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-24-16 11:11 AM
    Without BB10 you turn over everything

I'm not sure you know how this works.

Install the apps you need and trust. Deny permissions if you're not sure.

Google itself has a very strict ToS, and does not give identifying info to any third party.
    09-24-16 12:07 PM
    I'm not sure you know how this works.

Install the apps you need and trust. Deny permissions if you're not sure.

Google itself has a very strict ToS, and does not give identifying info to any third party.
    The onus of security is not wholly on the platform: a stupid user is a stupid user regardless which phone they're on.
    Jerry A, vpblaze, TgeekB and 2 others like this.
    09-24-16 02:22 PM
    The onus of security is not wholly on the platform: a stupid user is a stupid user regardless which phone they're on.
    Exactly. Downloading an app that shares data will do it on BlackBerry or any other platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 02:31 PM
    Whoa....common sense....thats not allowed around here!
    09-24-16 02:49 PM
    Of course and with a mindset of apps no matter what leads to not reading, caring, and just installing.
    09-24-16 04:49 PM
37 12