I'm currently using the trial version of Cacheberry and have been pleased with it so far. Can anyone give me some reasons why Geocache Navigator would be a better choice than Cacheberry? The obvious negative to me is Geocache Navigator is $40/year versus a one time payment of $15 for Cacheberry. I see that Geocache Navigator has a radar view on it that might be useful, but have also read in the Cacheberry forums that they are working on that feature as well.

What else makes Geocache Navigator worth the extra money?

Thanks!
    07-12-09 04:49 PM
    I was also wondering if anyone had compared the two programs.
    07-13-09 11:19 AM
    I work at Trimble and would like to point out that Geocache Navigator provides real-time connection to Geocaching.com, while "With CacheBerry you can ... carry and view your geocaching.com Pocket Queries* and GPX files." (quoted from CacheBerry.com on July 13, 2009). For more info, please visit GeocacheNavigator.com. Thanks.
    07-13-09 04:23 PM
    I'm curious what the difference between Geocache Navigator's "real-time connection to Geocaching.com" and Cacheberry's "Web Search" search is? When I choose the web search option, it passes my current coordinates directly to geocaching.com, loads my browser with the geocaching.com web site, logged in with my username, and gives me the list of nearby caches. I find it hard to believe you're going to be any more real-time than the actual geocaching.com website.

Please let me know of any other features that differentiate the two products. I appreciate the feedback from an employee of the actual vendor's program!
    07-13-09 06:52 PM
    I have not used CacheBerry, but based on the description from CacheBerry.com the application allows you to use Pocket Queries and import GPX files. What you are describing most likely is based on Pocket Queries and yes, in this sense this is also real-time connection. However, only Geocaching.com premium members can use Pocket Queries, and Premium membership costs $30/Year. In addition to that, with Pocket Queries you need to define your searches in advance, while with Geocache Navigator you can search for caches anywhere and whenever you like, just using your phone. This is great for users who travel or just find they have a couple of hours for geocaching when they are away from the computer. Note that we offer a free trial of Geocache Navigator at TrimbleOutdoors.com/rim, you may want to check it out. Finally, on the subject of price: unfortunately, we can't yet have consistent pricing but if you buy Geocache Navigator from App World, you pay a one-time fee of $39.99, not an annual fee as on some other channels. Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
    07-13-09 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the link and the information. I was searching for a trial version at the geocachenavigator.com site, but didn't find one. Only found the link that took me to the handmark site to purchase at $39.99/year. I will certainly download a trial version and try it out.
    07-13-09 07:35 PM
    Does Geocache Navigator work on the Blackberry Storm? (I know this is a Storm section here on CB) but last time I looked on the website, I could not find anything to that effect. Thanks

Ok_ just went to the site-alot has changed since I last went to the Geocache Navigator site. It nows says Storm is supported. will definitely be looking into it
    Last edited by localbiz; 07-13-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: updated info
    07-13-09 08:45 PM
    Finally, on the subject of price: unfortunately, we can't yet have consistent pricing but if you buy Geocache Navigator from App World, you pay a one-time fee of $39.99, not an annual fee as on some other channels. Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
    Have been looking over the app, looks pretty good. Just to clarify. if I purchase this from Blackberry App World, it is a one time price-no yearly charge? I also saw it apparently on "sale" too? If this is correct, you are making it very hard not to get this app. How much of a trial is there if download it from Trimble?
    07-14-09 04:29 PM
    Have been looking over the app, looks pretty good. Just to clarify. if I purchase this from Blackberry App World, it is a one time price-no yearly charge? I also saw it apparently on "sale" too? If this is correct, you are making it very hard not to get this app. How much of a trial is there if download it from Trimble?
    I trialed it before it was officially Storm compatible. It worked well, but I just never had any luck finding the caches, they usually had been muggled before I got there. If I remember correctly, it was 30 days
    07-14-09 08:53 PM
    The link posted previously by andreinz (trimbleoutdoors.com/rim) provides a 60 day trial of version 2.0.7

Blackberry App World lists version 2.0.13.0 for Verizon with a price of $29.99, and includes a 7 day trial. I hope to use the 2.0.7 version I downloaded within the next couple of days. The user interface appears to be well laid out, and more intuitive than Cacheberry.
    07-15-09 12:37 PM
    Let me know what you think. I was thinking about downloading the version from trimble and purchasing it on app world to take advantage of the sale
    07-15-09 10:20 PM
    Since I have not seen an other reviews-thought I would provide my thoughts. I downloaded the Geocache Navigator via BB App World.

Was an easy install.
    Works well in portrait and landscape
    Overall it is easy to use
    Nice interface with Geocaching.com
    Really like the radar feature, different map views

This app appears to be very close to the iPhone app from Geocaching but will a very different price tag.

Would like to see gpx file abilties added and nice price tag but overall it looks good. Plan on using in the field tomorrow.
    07-17-09 10:45 PM
    Used GeocacheNavigator (GN) for the first time tonight. Thought I would share some initial thoughts on using GN versus Cacheberry (CB).
    * GN wins on the easier and more intuitive user interface
    * GN wins on looking up a cache as long as you are in an area where you have data coverage. CB wins if you want to be able to download LOC/GPX files ahead of time into its database for use in an area where you don't think you'll have data coverage.
    * CB wins on price, although I don't think either is unreasonable, assuming that the $29.99 price for GN in appworld is a one time fee and not the annual fee license that is found on the geocachenavigator.com website.

Both apps offer a useful compass mode. I'm still learning how to use the radar option in GN to its full potential, but I think that is another plus for it.

GN can be linked to your geocaching.com account, so you can mark a cache as found/not found, and it will be in your field notes section of the geocaching.com website. Unfortunately, all I've found that is good for is marking which ones you've found. It would help if you could pass a few notes along with that while the find is fresh in your mind. CB has a field notes option that would allow you to jot notes, then use that (manually) when you log your find on the geocaching.com website.

I haven't gone through the GN forums in great detail, but the initial impression is the forums for CB are a little more active, and the author is readily available and eager to implement new changes. Again, I think GN has a more polished user interface, so that would also explain less activity in the forum.

I think either app would be very helpful to anyone wishing to geocache with their Blackberry. Since both apps offer free trials, you should try both out and see which meets your needs.
    07-17-09 10:56 PM
    Thanks DarkBeer for those notes. Have you ever looked at Blackstar. Blackstar Navigation - A free geocaching hiking and navigational utility for BlackBerry devices

I have been using this app (it is free) and does a lot of neat stuff but I am wanting a better interface and like the idea of a direct connection with Geocaching.com
    07-17-09 11:04 PM
    Blackstar was the first app I used, then Cacheberry, then GeocacheNavigator. Another difference in the GN vs CB analysis is that in CB you can add a waypoint pretty easily, and I haven't found that to be the case with GN. I have yet to go on a cache where I needed to be concerned on how to find my way back to my car, but that could be a useful feature that is needed some day.

Also, CB, and I think Blackstar, both allow for a backlight lock which can be handy when zeroing in on the cache. GN just uses whatever backlight timeout is set in your Blackberry, so you have to keep tapping the screen to keep the backlight on. Obviously the backlight lock will drain your battery faster, but that doesn't matter when you're trying to find that cache
    07-18-09 07:37 AM
    Hi, I have just downloaded Geocache Navigator on my Storm on the vodafone network in the UK. I cannot get it to connect in order to link with my geocache account, can you tell me if it works in the UK? The error code I get is 500.

I will be very grateful for any advice you may be able to give me.

Thanks
    07-21-09 02:44 AM
    Purchased geocache navigator from BB app world. The access code given is not working. I call Trimble support-apparently the program is cutting off the first digit of the code (if it is a zero) which might is. This is a known issue. I have looked in forums and did not find anything about this. I will post my findings when I get a result.
    07-26-09 11:39 AM
    I personally like geocache navigator a lot better. The interface and navigation of the software is so much better. No need to pre load pocket queries like cacheberry. Cacheberry sounds like the software to use but if u want pocketqueries the membership fee is like 30 dollars. Well you dont have to but it is a pain to add them one at a time lol.

For anyone wondering i installed the storm version of geocache navigator on my tour. So far the only bugs i noticed is the the details tab gets cutoff so it only shows "det" but the details themselves dont get cutoff. Also when you pull up the map since its not touch screen you cant use the button on the screen. The work around for this is to use the numbers. 2 and 8 pan up and down, 4 and 6 pan left to right, and if i remember correctly 1 and 3 zoom in and out.
    07-26-09 03:38 PM
    Hi there, I'm the author of CacheBerry so please take these comments in that light.

One advantage that CB has over GN is "depth ", CacheBerry's feature set is entirely user driven and it offers more value for the serious cacher including compatibility with GSAK, the ability to create waypoints using averaged readings (and export them to GSAK), integration with Google and Blackberry maps, advanced features like the ability to view HTML source for cache listings offline (eg. puzzle caches that embed clues), the ability to record and export track files and so on.

The Compass (and upcoming Radar view) use SVG graphics which are user-customizable, support for multiple databases (thousands of caches), the ability to upload fieldnotes to gc.com, TextMarks SMS support, and coming soon, advanced filtering and Twitter support.

CacheBerry also has good support for the Storm including multi-touch and orientation locking etc.

Although CacheBerry does not have a direct hook into gc.com (political) it does support downloading individual caches from gc.com, searching on gc.com and downloading LOC search results and importing and exporting GPX files, you can even email compressed Pocket Queries direct from gc.com to your BlackBerry and load them into CB.

If you are looking for an independent solution with responsive support and (most importantly) ongoing user-driven development, then CB is worth a look.

Cheers,
    Bruce

CacheBerry Forum
    07-26-09 06:51 PM
    Just an update- after speaking with Trimble, there is an issue right now how App World is assigning access codes. If the code begins with a 0 (zero) the app is cutting off the digit. Apparently there have only been a few reported cases. Who will fix the issue BB or Trimble- not sure yet. Trimble support was a big help and hooked me but with a working copy. Tks
    07-29-09 07:07 PM
    Since I started this thread, I figured I should at least post what decision I made. Perhaps it will help someone in the future when they find this on a search.

Both programs have their strengths, and it was nice to be able to test both programs thoroughly before making a purchase. In the end, I chose to purchase Cacheberry. The factors that influenced the decision:
    1) Much more active community support in the forum. The author is participating almost every day, and other users of the program also provide good support. A question I posted in the GN forum went unanswered for a week and a half.
    2) CB offers a number of features that aren't available in GN. Some of the features take a little bit of understanding on how to use them properly, but once you do, you realize the power and flexibility available in CB.
    3) I thought GN's biggest strength was its quick interface for spontaneous caching. I've since learned how to have equally quick options in CB through the many sort options that are available.
    4) Ability to save separate databases. I have a database for caches around my home area, but also have a database now for a weekend trip I'll be making to Ohio.

With a premium membership at geocaching.com, and other tools such as GSAK, there are a number of things I can do with CB that make it feel like more of the "power-user" app, so I made the purchase yesterday

Thanks for the discussions of the apps while I walked through the evaluation process!
    08-05-09 02:49 PM
    Thanks for the update/comment Darkbeer. I have purchased GN and for what I am wanting to do, it works great. Support has been very helpful also. From what I have read and seen, there is not one app that will do everything that everyone wants. I will continue to see how GN works and comment here in the future.
    08-05-09 06:03 PM
    I have been using Blackstar (free) for sometime now, I purchased Cacheberry and im disappointed in it, for some reason I cannot link up to geocaching.com correctly, and the app just doesnt want to seem to work right for me.
    I am however running .191, so that might have something to do with it.

I have noticed with Blackstar i can only login to geocaching to download waypoints, i cant view details of a cache or anything, browser issues with .191 i believe, i use Opera, and it works perfectly, I can login to geocaching and post my logs,etc, while out in the field.

The Blackstar app has taken me to every cache within 7 feet, so i was truely impressed with that, especially for being free. If they could just get it to work correctly with the BB browser it would be superb, but like i said it may be a .191 issue.

Is anyone here using Cacheberry with .191??? Let me know if your having any problems with it, i cant seem to get it to work right, and the support for it isnt that great.

Geo Navigator is just to expensive to download and try and find out it doesnt work with the latest OS, so i havent given them a shot to compare against Blackstar.
    09-08-09 01:53 PM
    This is all during the setup process. Trimble Support has been unable to fix for a couple of weeks . . . also, my GPS bars never turn from red during the setup process.

I have the Storm (I) on the Verizon network and I have the "Verizon" version of the software.

Thanks.
    11-08-09 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD