It was only a matter of time before BYOD proved to be costly. All I want is that before I leave this agency (if my new job pans out) I can look back at the director who pushed so hard against me to take BlackBerry out and gleefully shout "I told you so!" as I salsa out the door. Anyway, enough of my personal fantasies. Hope this link works and it's not actually internal only. It's a short little article.

BYOD Cost the Energy Department More Than Supplying Government Phones - Nextgov.com
    04-29-14 07:43 AM
    Wow, who'da thunk!

PS: the link works. Thanks for posting.
    04-29-14 07:47 AM
    LoL. Sometimes it pays to go against the grain of trends....

And, yes... The link works just fine.
    04-29-14 07:51 AM
    It was only a matter of time before BYOD proved to be costly. All I want is that before I leave this agency (if my new job pans out) I can look back at the director who pushed so hard against me to take BlackBerry out and gleefully shout "I told you so!" as I salsa out the door. Anyway, enough of my personal fantasies. Hope this link works and it's not actually internal only. It's a short little article.

BYOD Cost the Energy Department More Than Supplying Government Phones - Nextgov.com
    Great share!

For your sake, I hope the new job pans out so you can fulfill your dream; I think many of us can relate to having a dream of telling off the boss on our way out the door on how we were clearly right on some issues. Would not have taken an IT expert to see that for a department so large, a policy such as this was bound to cause some headaches. Ah well, you reap what you sow!
    04-29-14 07:51 AM
    Wow, who'da thunk!

PS: the link works. Thanks for posting.
    I know!!!! hehehehehehe.....I CAN'T WAIT until they realise what they've spent by taking our BlackBerry devices away. It'll soon add up.

Seriously, can't wait to look at him sweetly and say "I told you so." Can't.Wait.

Assuming the new job does happen after all.....
    04-29-14 07:53 AM
    Only problem is, most Federal managers are not budget conscious. Blame their mistakes on not having enough budget. Always will blame someone else.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 07:57 AM
    This is one of the fundamental problems with any Fed Gov agency I have had the (dis)pleasure of working with. Too many people with their own little fiefdom and too afraid to lose perceived power/authority. No one centralizes these things, these policies, and because of that everyone gets burned.
    04-29-14 08:02 AM
    Interesting. Thanks Q
    04-29-14 08:12 AM
    Companies or departments should not be paying a single cent for any BYOD device.
    04-29-14 08:24 AM

Good article. The best thing is "as you salsa out the door". No need to say anything, because salsa says it all. Of course you will have a big smile on your face cause you can't salsa and frown! Hope the potential job becomes reality!

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    04-29-14 08:43 AM

You get a like for salsaing out the door
    kbz1960 and MERCDROID like this.
    04-29-14 08:48 AM
    ....let you guys in on a little secret....sometimes, when I'm really excited about something and I've got excess energy to burn, I close my door and I put on Celia Cruz and I salsa my head off.....
    04-29-14 09:04 AM
    ....let you guys in on a little secret....sometimes, when I'm really excited about something and I've got excess energy to burn, I close my door and I put on Celia Cruz and I salsa my head off.....
    LOL! LOL! La Reina! That somehow seems like it would make a great scene from a BBC comedy,
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-14 09:08 AM
    LOL! LOL! La Reina! That somehow seems like it would make a great scene from a BBC comedy,
    Love, I AM a BBC comedy....

so....getting back on topic (before we all get in trouble)...

I wonder if this kind of finding will prompt agencies back to a non BYOD practice. If so, there can be more control of devices. It might not make a difference to BlackBerry's bottom line in the short run, but it may in the long run. If the BYOD program yields more cost and trouble than it's worth for staff to simply bring their own devices, the tide may turn in favour of BlackBerry in the long run.

Who knows. I hope. I was never a fan of either BYOD OR of removing BlackBerry from the Fed government.
    04-29-14 09:24 AM
    That does not surprise me at all.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    04-29-14 09:25 AM
    They do not understand BYOD. (Adding security features cost money)
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    04-29-14 09:29 AM
    After reading....

Seems the reason it cost more is that they were just giving out too much of a "stipend".

I've seen companies give $200 a month and I've seen them only give $40 a month. Let's face it, in this day and age in the US the majority of people currently own a smartphone, so it's not like 10 years ago when if you didn't supply one, your employee wasn't going to have one.

I had high hopes for BlackBerry Balance... was a perfect way to segregate personal and work. And allow people to just carry one device. Maybe what we needed was a BlackBerry Balance that operated with a dual sim??

Either way, this get solved by reducing the amounts given to employees, not by moving back to employer supplied devices.
    ibpluto, TGR1 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    04-29-14 09:30 AM
    They do not understand BYOD. (Adding security features cost money)
    I dont understand paying for BYOD. If you want to get corporate email on your iPhony, cool. But why should I (the company) pay you?
    MobileMadness002 and raw_dog like this.
    04-29-14 09:33 AM
    I dont understand paying for BYOD. If you want to get corporate email on your iPhony, cool. But why should I (the company) pay you?
    What about, you can care less to get email on your phone but the company forces you to?
    04-29-14 09:44 AM
    After reading....

Seems the reason it cost more is that they were just giving out too much of a "stipend".

I've seen companies give $200 a month and I've seen them only give $40 a month. Let's face it, in this day and age in the US the majority of people currently own a smartphone, so it's not like 10 years ago when if you didn't supply one, your employee wasn't going to have one.

I had high hopes for BlackBerry Balance... was a perfect way to segregate personal and work. And allow people to just carry one device. Maybe what we needed was a BlackBerry Balance that operated with a dual sim??

Either way, this get solved by reducing the amounts given to employees, not by moving back to employer supplied devices.
    True, but it's the first chink in the BYOD shining armour. This is really a matter of shoddy bookeeping, but an enterprising IT manager in conjunction with a sympathetic Finance Director can use this to build a case against it.

See, I love various devices for my personal use, but I've never made any bones that I think BYOD is a mistake AND that I prefer BlackBerry for secure agencies. As I (possibly) leave IT, it's good to see something that vindicates my position.
    kbz1960 and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    04-29-14 09:44 AM
    Could something like a Z3 be the perfect corporate issued phone? Cheap, easy to manage and secure on BES.
    Bluenoser63 and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-29-14 09:56 AM
    Could something like a Z3 be the perfect corporate issued phone? Cheap, easy to manage and secure on BES.
    Basically what the BlackBerry Curve was predominantly used for in enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-14 09:57 AM
    Interesting read; thanks for sharing. Hope it all works out for you.
    04-29-14 10:02 AM
    It seems to me that there's a bit of a costing error built into the report, although it may not be enough of an error to nullify the general conclusions.

One of the issues identified as "overspending" was paying employees for services that did not incur additional costs ("sites had not developed and implemented policies and procedures to ensure that employees who received stipends actually incurred additional costs as a result of using personal devices for business purposes.�)

There are two objections to this assessment:

1. If the employee was using a BYOD device, but not incurring additional cost, the government was still gaining the benefit of the employee's handset and plan. If the employee is required to use a BYOD handset for work, the employer should pay a portion of the cost, regardless of whether or not the employee incurs additional cost.

2. The same problem (overspending for unused services) can and does happen with employer-provided devices. At my workplace, employees often opt to add the employer's email (and security policies) to their own devices, and the employer-provided handset sits on a shelf in the office, or becomes the kids' gaming device (yes, seriously -- "woo hoo, we got an iPhone -- thanks Dad!"), etc. A good study would research and include the frequency of unused employer-provided handsets, and the plans that go with them, in order to assess effective ways to deal with this issue. Returning to company-provided handsets and plans might not be the best solution.

Thanks for the interesting read, OP!
    ibpluto likes this.
    04-29-14 10:11 AM
    Basically what the BlackBerry Curve was predominantly used for in enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, pretty much. One of my previous employers use to hand out Pearls and Curves like candy.
    04-29-14 10:17 AM
98 123 ...