I am looking at purchasing a used (or like-new) BB Bold from Craigslist. I am with ATT today (using an 8700c). Is there anyway to verify that the device is "clean". In other words, I have seen some things about stolen BB's having the IEMI (?) locked through Blackberry (the company) and therefore could not be utilized to get data - could make calls and text but no data. Any ideas?

I spoke with ATT and they were unable to offer any help except to say I shouldnt do it...only buy through ATT. Of course they say that!

Thanks in advance....
    01-01-09 05:25 PM
    Get the Pin from the user prior to purchasing and then verify it hasn't been reported.

Also ask the how they got it and why they are selling it.

Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    01-01-09 05:34 PM
    I am not in favour of buying used devices from private parties. That being said.....

Make sure, first and foremost, that the individual you purchase from is legit. If you are buying via Craigslist, it is wise to deal locally so that you can meet in person and complete the exchange. This eliminates the risk of being scammed. Next, request the ESN of the device ahead of time and check to make sure it is not a stolen or test unit. Also, verify that the device will indeed work on your carrier. If the Bold is not from ATT, verify that it is unlocked to work on all other GSM networks.

In my humble opinion, your best bet is to shell out the extra money and buy directly from ATT. This way, you are protected against any kind of fraud, defect, etc. There are many people who have successfully purchased a used device via eBay, Craigslists, etc. However, for me personally, it is worth the extra money - if for nothing else, for piece of mind. Good luck...
    01-01-09 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far! That was fast!

A couple of things:

1) Anyone know how I call to verify the PIN number? I couldnt see anything on the BB site that gave me a number to call

2) If I buy one outright from ATT, has anyone successfully received the $100 rebate without signing up for a plan? I have called 4 ATT stores and got 4 answers from yes you can get the rebate, to you should be able to, to it would be declined to you wont get the receipt to print a rebate copy.

Thanks again!
    01-01-09 05:55 PM
    You will not be able to get a rebate if you buy the device outright while you are still under contract. You will only be able to receive the rebate if you are buying it at a discount price for a contract extension.

Basic things to check for when buying a used device is that the ESN is clear (meaning the previous owner does not have it tied to a delinquent account) and the PIN has been released from the previous owners BIS account. It would also be wise to do the transaction in person and activate the device on your account before handing over any form of payment. Countless amounts of people have made a transaction where the carrier says the ESN is clear and can be activated only to get home and attempt to activate the phone only to be told that it is in fact blacklisted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 06:38 PM
    Would anyone be able to post a contact number or support that I can call in order to verify the PIN of a blackberry that I plan to purchase pre-owned? Thanks!
    01-13-09 01:09 AM
    You have to call your service provider's customer support and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 05:31 AM
    In my humble opinion, your best bet is to shell out the extra money and buy directly from ATT. This way, you are protected against any kind of fraud, defect, etc. There are many people who have successfully purchased a used device via eBay, Craigslists, etc. However, for me personally, it is worth the extra money - if for nothing else, for piece of mind. Good luck...
    A semi-personal anecdote: a friend of my wife went into business on the side selling cell phones and equipment, including AT&T stuff, mostly through eBay. She was fast, competitively priced, conscientious, and had good ratings. After about a year of being reasonably successful she was served by AT&T. It seems her main supplier wasn't getting his stuff with AT&T's blessing, and when he went down he included her on his list of people to turn in for lenience. Now she's being told to turn over all the personal info on everyone she has ever done business with, else face pretty stiff penalties. She's fighting it, but what chance does she have against their deep pockets?

Not saying she was smart to get into this, not at all. The moral is: what if you were one of those customers? Would you want suddenly to incur the negative attention? You didn't know there was any problem, were probably dealing totally in good faith, the vendor was respected and well rated with a year's experience in the field, and suddenly you're tagged as having stolen goods, and your personal info is in the hands of AT&T lawyers.

Is the risk really worth saving a few bucks?

Just saying.
    01-13-09 07:07 AM
    I have a question, since I'm thinking of buying my friend's used Bold(and almost already closed the deal). I'm sure he activated the BIS through his SIM card because he said he used Windows Live Messenger on it, and I couldn't use that without the BIS service. I currently own a Curve 8520 with BIS and we're both on the same carrer, so I need to know what I have to do for me to be able to use my BIS service on his Bold, like, do I need to go to my customer service center or just register online? I wouldn't need my blackberry.net email since I mainly use my Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts, but I probably would like to use both the PINs from BBM. Any ideas? Thanks!
    01-06-10 02:51 PM
    if you buy off craigs list have the seller meet you at the cellphone store and try to activate the phone right away if the seller knows its stolen they wont do that
    01-06-10 03:47 PM
    if you buy off craigs list have the seller meet you at the cellphone store and try to activate the phone right away if the seller knows its stolen they wont do that
    This is the best idea. You will also need the previous owner to authorize the pin to be released. If the pin checks out as not stollen that is still not the same as him releasing the pin. Only after a proper pin release can the phone be set up on your account.
    01-06-10 05:54 PM
    I sold an LG I had on Craigslist and I am honest. But not everyone is. I met him at a Verizon store. I made that offer. If you are buying from Craigslist I highly suggest
    meeting at a corporate store. There are too many ripoffs these days and when it comes to a wireless device you need to have all your t's crossed and your i's dotted.
    You don't want to get a phone that has a been deemed stolen. It has happened too many times. When I sold Verizon I was doing an insurance activation and the phone from Asurion that the customer had gotten as his replacement was a stolen phone. It even happens sometimes to the insurance carriers. So make sure you do it right. Don't let the person who is selling it you dictate where to meet. Don't meet off a freeway or at a gas station. Meet at a corporate store PERIOD. If on the up and up the person selling the phone will agree to that. Nothing to hide.
    01-06-10 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD