Hello fellow CrackBerry-ans.

I know some of you have seen me asking this question 2 times before, but I never got a concrete answer and maybe I didn't say some details.

I am NOT a U.S. resident/citizen whatsoever but I am going on a trip to NYC for 10 days soon and I want to pick up a 9700, since I don't know any places my only idea was to buy it from an at&t (my soon-to be compatible 3G network) or T-Mobile store for $449 as they state, is their retail price.

But several people here have told me that you can't go pick up just the device from a phone company (at&t etc) without any type of contract or sim. And yes I want JUST the phone not anything else, just the phone and I don't want to know from that company ever again.

Now the question (again).

Is this possible?

P.S. Excuse my noob-ish english.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-14-09 at 09:53 PM. Reason: profanity
    11-14-09 09:11 PM
    More than likely they are going to try to sell you a plan along with the phone. Your best option is to tell them that you want to purchase the phone as a pay as you go phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 09:16 PM
    I know they will want to, but am I forced to take any sort of phone plan? Even pay as you go?
    11-14-09 09:33 PM
    Yes you can buy the phone out right retail price. You don't need to agree to any plans.

Then you'll need an unlock code for your new 9700
    11-14-09 09:36 PM
    I'm almost certain that they will make you purchase a plan of some sort otherwise they probably won't sell you the phone.

11-14-09 09:36 PM
    So again, I got 1 yes and 1 no, I don't know what to think :s I really need some help I need to figure this out. Can someone who lives in U.S. Can call at&t or t-mo? Since I can't

11-14-09 10:27 PM
    I did a google search and found a store in NYC that sells unlocked phones.....

Unlocked GSM Phones, GSM World Phones, Smart Phones, Cell Phone Accessories at MobileCityOnline.com
    11-14-09 10:39 PM
    @pkcable

Looks awesome and it's very near from where I'm going to be. But T-mo retail price is $449 and theirs is $520. So it's kind of a big difference.

I really appreciate it but I want to be sure that I can't buy it at a retail store before I pay 70 bucks more.
    11-14-09 11:08 PM
    That's a good question. I have never purchased a phone at full retail price from any carrier. The only time that I haven't purchased a phone with a 2 year contract was when I bought my old Bold on eBay - it was more expensive than the contract price, but cheaper than the retail price that AT&T charged.

11-15-09 01:00 AM
    You can I'm positive but you will play full retail price.

11-15-09 01:03 AM
    @mnotar yeah but I can't buy from ebay

@coach
    I trust you! I hope you are right lol.

11-15-09 03:41 AM
    I bought my 9000 without a contract. The full retail price was all Best Buy asked. So, yes it can be done in my experience.

11-15-09 04:31 AM
    That's why there is a "no-contract" full retail price. And even if they did give you a hard time about a plan, if you're paying full retail, you're under no contract, just take the damn plan, walk out with your new phone and promptly cancel the whole plan. No ETF. Done
    11-15-09 06:50 AM
    Yes you can buy the phone full retail without a contract. The only time you are required to have a contract is with a discounted phone.

11-15-09 10:21 AM
    Getting the unlock code is the only thing you will need to worry about. As a former T-Mo sales rep, I am familiar with this process. I sold a few full retail phones, and even as a direct rep had problems getting the subsidy unlock code. It took several emails and about a month to get it. If I were you, I wouldn't leave the store or give any money if they can't give you the unlock code that day.

11-15-09 11:12 AM
    Really? I've had many BB's before and it has been nothing but easy to unlock them through eBay.

Also mookish, I do NOT want any plan of anything I just want the phone. Taking a plan means more money.
    11-15-09 11:37 AM
    Best Buy will sell you the phone with no contract as sedalia said. We do this at the best buy I work at on a regular basis. It sounds like you have experiece getting phones unlocked so you should have no worries.

11-15-09 12:23 PM
    I think, and I could be wrong, but $450 sounds low to me. That may be a discounted "full retail" price. The actual full retail for the 8900 early this year was over $500. As far as unlocking, if you don't buy one already unlocked, you'll need to use a pay service - I don't see T-Mo giving you an unlock code if you're not a subscriber. I am sure however there are a number of places that will sell you a 9700 without a contract. Try Amazon as well as best buy. Good luck.

11-15-09 12:28 PM
    Thanks to all of you guys, great help. If anyone else has something to say new info is welcome

11-15-09 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD