I have seen some Blackberrys on eBay that are "cheap"....now I am no dumbo, I know what it means.

Some have faults, such as the trackpad not working or water damage. My question is this.....how cheap is it to fix these problems and is it worth considering if I can get one dirt cheap?

I am pretty sure I know the answer but I am so new to the Blackberry community, I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks
    Stu
    06-20-12 09:32 AM
    Ok you want to avoid water damage at ALL costs, there is no fix for that, and it should be considered for parts only. And you can only use housing and membrains and stuff like that, NOTHING with electronics can be trusted in a water damaged BB. Ok trackpad not working you can deal with, BUT it's easier said than done. Opening up and repairing a BB is best left to a professional, because you can break something else once you start playing around in there. HOWEVER it is a doable thing and you will find tutorials at youtube explaining how to do it. Here's a good website for parts. Faceplate | Housing | Repair parts | Accessories | Mobile parts - Cellular Accessories | Mobile
    06-20-12 12:12 PM
    With the way used OS 7 prices have been going, no I don't think it makes much sense to do that. Plus if you really want a good deal, find a good condition 9000 on Craigslist or something.

Or a new Curve 9320 which brand new is $150.
    06-20-12 12:27 PM
    UK ebay prices seem very high. I recently sold my non-working 9700 for 55. It was the screen but I bought an unlocked 9810 in full working condition for 169. I currently have an old 8310 on ebay in full working condition. I expect to get �30 at least for this.

I think you need to be careful what you buy. It's been said already, but please do avoid water damaged units. Be careful too of mechanical damage as you don't know how far it has gone.

You might get lucky and find one that someone has just lost the OS and all you have to do is to reload it.

You should also be aware that there are a lot of people on ebay UK who are real experts at phone repair and sometimes these people will sell phones that just cannot be fixed.

Caveat emptor -- buyer beware is the watchword.
    StueyMac40 likes this.
    06-20-12 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD