Okay, (this is my first post here ) I really want to get a BlackBerry. I found this listing on ebay for only $31, but it says it has a bad ESN. I have sprint and I'm not really sure how this would effect me, but I've read you can't activate the phone if it has a bad ESN. Oh, and the item number is 130289302245 (Sorry, I can't post links yet!)
    02-22-09 10:37 AM
    Don't buy it. Bad ESN means the phone can't be activated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 10:42 AM
    You have to make sure it has a clean esn or its no good...
    02-22-09 11:08 AM
    A used Curve on ebay (with clean ESN) should run you 150-225. You might be able to do a little better on Craigslist or here in the Marketplace. Make sure you get one compatible for sprint, that is one not locked to Verizon for example.

EDIT: I'm wrong they are going for a bit more than what I said. If you are not yet eligible for an upgrade at a discount with Sprint you might want to consider getting a Pearl (if you want multimedia), or an 8700 (if you really just want the push email and data features), to tide you over till you can get a discounted upgrade from Sprint. You should be able to get an 8700 used real cheap, probably 40 to 70 dollars.
    Last edited by pkcable; 02-22-09 at 11:21 AM.
    02-22-09 11:16 AM
    im no pro but i would think you should contact your service provider. perhaps the seller will give you the esn & you can have your service provider check the number and let you know for sure what would happen.

buying a phone off ebay can be hit or miss.
    i just bought a curve "mint condition" that mysteriously has a crack in the screen when i opened the package.
    you never know what you could end up with!
    02-22-09 11:25 AM
    the only purpose a blackberry with a bad esn is for parts only
    your best bet is to really shop around just as pkcable stated
    02-22-09 11:34 AM
    If its cheap...its cheap for a reason. thats how I look at it. Good Luck finding one
    02-22-09 11:37 AM
    if you wanna get BB of ebay, there are certain factors you wanna look at, The seller's ratingreferably around 98-100%, the location: how fast you want it, look at what your actually going to get in the auction: you don't want just the phone, you want it with all the accesories, Is the phone good: meaning if your getting an ATT or tmobile you dont have to worry about ESN, but if your getting one for Verizon or SPRINT, the ESN has to be clean or else you will not be able to activate it and lastly you want to know the condition: dont buy fair or good condition, it'll probably be 30-40$ cheaper but trust me there gonna have a lot of scratches on it
    02-22-09 10:25 PM
    Some good advice there jersey, I agree.
    02-22-09 10:27 PM
    yes i also agree i got mine from ebay for 185 and it is great!!!!

he had a 99.9% approval rating
    02-22-09 10:34 PM
    Cosmetics aren't too important if you're planning on changing the housing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD