Here’s something that bugs me… I get an e-mail from an company such as Linkedin or Tripit (or others), I see an article that interests me and click its link, and immediately my browser opens with a message for me to “Get the App”. But I already have the app!!!! Can’t these sites detect if I already have the app installed on my BB? Can't they automatically detect and load their app (if it handles the message) or go and login to the mobile site directly? Seems like a reasonable request!

I've got a 9900 with OS7.1, but I suspect the issue is more widespread across BB or even the industry at large (as I've seen something similar happen on an iPad).
    08-01-13 10:05 AM
    Can’t these sites detect if I already have the app installed on my BB? Can't they automatically detect and load their app (if it handles the message) or go and login to the mobile site directly? Seems like a reasonable request!

I've got a 9900 with OS7.1, but I suspect the issue is more widespread across BB or even the industry at large (as I've seen something similar happen on an iPad).
    If the browser could read your device for what you have installed, then you run into some security issues.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    08-01-13 10:23 AM
    Get those all the time on Android, too. Facebook, a few other apps, all say get the app, I just ignored it.
    08-01-13 10:26 AM
    It's annoying, but really a minor inconvenience.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-01-13 10:58 AM
    If the browser could read your device for what you have installed, then you run into some security issues.
    Perhaps just setting a cookie on the browser might work. Would get rid of 90% of the annoyances.
    08-01-13 04:20 PM
    Perhaps just setting a cookie on the browser might work. Would get rid of 90% of the annoyances.
    If, per se, you had a login account on the web site and your profile stated that you had the app version, then the site could eliminate the message with a cookie that says who you are and your account id, so the site could pull up your information.
    The cookie would have to be set by the site, not by anything you would set in the browser.

Now, if someone created an app that mimicked the browser and automatically transposed URLs to matching apps on your device, then that would be another option. With BB10 cards, the first app could call the card from the linked app and use that function as if it was integrated into the original app.

Of course, it requires the called app to have a card for the function to be called and the first app to know what can be called.

Edit : Doesn't work for BB0S
    Last edited by LoganSix; 08-01-13 at 06:22 PM.
    08-01-13 05:26 PM
    Android has that feature. If you tap a link that can be handheld by an app other than your browser, you're given the option as to which app you wish to handle the information coming from the link. Additionally, you're able to choose between "Just this once" or "Always".

SwiftKeyed via my GS4.
    08-01-13 05:36 PM