Is there any way i can browse on the Bold using the Wifi Network?
    07-26-09 03:58 AM
    Is there any way i can browse on the Bold using the Wifi Network?
    yeah, set up your wifi.
    07-26-09 04:19 AM
    Wifi for me works great at home or a friends house where the network is secure and I know/can get the key. I was just overseas and I tried connecting to the wifi network in the hotel and well...it connected in that I got the network name on the homscreen, but the wifi logo was always greyed out. So when I needed it most, it didn't work. I had to call ATT and activate an international dta plan for a month. Needless to say, this was very frustrating as wifi was on of the primary reasons I bought the bold. I think with the network name on the homescreen and a greyed out wifi logo, it means I am connected to the network, but the berry hasn't made a connenction with blackberry services (BIS & BES). So no surfing on bb browser, no personal email and no corporate emails...what's the point in the berry then? Some said I could have browsed with a 3rd party browser (oper mini) and a greyed out wifi icon but who cares when u can't get ur emails?!

What is the issue with the bold being able to connect to BIS & BES bb services on open 'hotspot' networks...particularly internationally?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 05:23 AM
    yeh why do u have wifi on ur blackberry

change the settings to hotspot browser or i dont know maybe if you're connected you'll automatically use the wifi
    07-26-09 07:39 AM
    Just remember that the BOLD hates WEP encryption = 98% of the time the WIFI logo will grey out of have connection issues. The BOLD is a secure phone and looks/works best on a HIGHER secure encryption, remember BOLD = Security and it does not like anything less.

So if overseas, ask them about what encryption mode they are using and you prefer to have WPA or WPA-PSK, do remember not all countries will have such setups.
    07-26-09 07:43 AM
    i think he's using zain BIS ........ not BES
    07-26-09 08:39 AM
    Just remember that the BOLD hates WEP encryption = 98% of the time the WIFI logo will grey out of have connection issues. The BOLD is a secure phone and looks/works best on a HIGHER secure encryption, remember BOLD = Security and it does not like anything less.

So if overseas, ask them about what encryption mode they are using and you prefer to have WPA or WPA-PSK, do remember not all countries will have such setups.
    I was trying to connect to open wifi networks while overseas. No WEP or WAP keys...should be required.

So r u saying the bold can not connect to OPEN wifi only secure ones?

07-26-09 09:57 AM
    yeh why do u have wifi on ur blackberry

change the settings to hotspot browser or i dont know maybe if you're connected you'll automatically use the wifi
    I tried hotspot browser and didn't make my wifi solid white. It stayed greyed out! I am confused about this whole wifi thing on the bold

07-26-09 09:59 AM
    My friend uses WEP at his house and my bold connects fine. No problems. I use WPA at home and have no problems. My moms work has no security and it connects fine. I never have a problem connecting.
    07-26-09 10:23 AM
    My friend uses WEP at his house and my bold connects fine. No problems. I use WPA at home and have no problems. My moms work has no security and it connects fine. I never have a problem connecting.
    Do u get personal and corporate email on ur berry with a greyed out wifi symbol? Or is yours always solid white? When u browse do u chage browser config to hotspot browser or leave default bb browser?

Are international standard for wifi encription different from wep and wpa and is that why my wifi logo stayed greyed out in Germany? I assume that because my bold picked up the same of the hotspot, it was connected, but because it was greyed out it wasn't connecting to bb services (browser, bis, bes).

07-26-09 10:29 AM
    I get personal email only. My Wifi is always solid white when connected. I leave browser on default.

Sometimes when you use a hotspot you need a password from them that you have to input into a webpage. Did you ask them?
    Last edited by jeff.brown; 07-26-09 at 10:36 AM.
    07-26-09 10:31 AM
    I tried hotspot browser and didn't make my wifi solid white. It stayed greyed out! I am confused about this whole wifi thing on the bold

When using the hotels or other hotspot networks, after you go to "Set up Wi-Fi connection" on your BB and scan, and after finding the network you need to then hit "Wi-Fi Hotspot Login"
    07-26-09 10:32 AM
    When using the hotels or other hotspot networks, after you go to "Set up Wi-Fi connection" on your BB and scan, and after finding the network you need to then hit "Wi-Fi Hotspot Login"
    What does that do differently??

07-26-09 10:36 AM
    What does that do differently??

It think it registers you on their network thus the "log in" part of "Wi-Fi Hotspot login" Once you have gone through this process, it will do it automatically just like if you are at home or your friends house where you are already set up.
    Last edited by mke67; 07-26-09 at 10:47 AM.
    07-26-09 10:43 AM
    I seem to have a lot of problems with WiFi on my Bold also.
    07-26-09 10:50 AM
    Silly question, but does it matter what SIM is in the Bold (prepaid local when travelling, OR your original provider's SIM).

I'm travelling to Mexico in the fall and was thinking about using a local SIM to make calls, but use the Hotel's WiFi for email/data, but wasn't sure what the "network" needs to find my Bold to direct emails to it....is it something to do with my SIM card from the provider, or is it all the Blackberry PIN/IMEI on the network?

The reason I'm asking is I'm with Rogers, but have a AT&T prepaid SIM, and when I put it in my Bold, I couldn't connect to my home WiFi network...but with my Rogers SIM, it works perfectly.

I'm hoping to stay in touch, without having to re-finance my house for the data roaming chargers. (my brother was in Mexico, and he doesn't do half the stuff I do with his Blackberry, and the bill was almost $200 for the week - data only)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ronag; 07-26-09 at 01:02 PM.
    07-26-09 12:58 PM
    I was trying to connect to open wifi networks while overseas. No WEP or WAP keys...should be required.

So r u saying the bold can not connect to OPEN wifi only secure ones?

No the bold should be able to connect to non-secure networks, but if in a country that does not have good internet service and the bold is trying to connect to it whether it is WEP or a open connection the bold will not do so due to its security features.

Even in Canada certain open networks around my town.... .... my bold will not connect to them and i can not connect to WEP connections, well it will connect, then dropp out, then i have to play around for 10 min to get it to connect again... i run WPA-PSK at home and never have had any issues what so ever, my friend has two routers one WEP and one WPA and bold hates the one using WEP encryption.

So it is a trial by error, but 95% of the time the bold hates WEP and certain open connections.
    07-26-09 01:12 PM
    I use the hotspot browser at home, work, hotels, restaurants, just about anywhere. I haven't ever had problems with it. The wifi automatically connects. I love the wifi on my Bold.

07-26-09 03:22 PM
    wifi and your good, all phones should have wifi, imp, but the browsing is great!
    07-26-09 06:37 PM
    I still cant make the Bold use the Wifi Network at home. It always connects to the BIS. Ive setup the Wifi Network on the BB and changed the Browser setting to Hotspot but no luck. Is der like a procedure for dummies that i can read and follow instruction
    07-26-09 11:18 PM
    Is your phone finding ur router?
    07-27-09 04:44 AM
    Is your phone finding ur router?
    Yes it is without any problem whatsoever
    07-27-09 05:02 AM
    I'm traveling overseas and I've had some trouble getting the wifi setup. I had to switch to a foreign SIM with no data plan. The wifi logo is greyed out, from what I read, its greyed out because I'm not connected to a bis/bes server. To get wifi working, I still have to have data enabled, but I will use the hot spot browser. Frankly, the bold isn't very intuitive when it comes to using the wifi. A lot of apps like msn don't work and stuff so its been a frustrating experience.
    07-27-09 06:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD