I have a storm and it's beyond slow. 1-3 min page loads many times. I had read it's due to bbs server buffering, is that correct? Does that mean all BBs are slow?
    I also use a palm pre plus and even without it's wifi on, it browses literally 10x faster, is that normal?
    thanks for any insights
    02-18-11 10:33 AM
    I don't know what may be wrong with your Storm, but it definitely doesn't mean all BBs are slow. The ones I've owned are super fast. Have you upgraded to the latest OS?
    02-18-11 12:21 PM
    That is definitely not normal for a BB. Especially on the newer devices like the 9800 and 9780 that I have used. The browser on 3G is fast, and on wifi it's incedibly fast. Definitely upgrade your OS.
    02-18-11 12:31 PM
    I think so, when I check updates it says I'm on the latest. I'd love to stick with BB at my next upgrade, but man, I never use anything web related it's so slow. Even loading the application world app takes like 3 minutes.
    02-18-11 12:33 PM
    just checked again says no available updates
    02-18-11 12:37 PM
    What OS is on it?
    02-18-11 12:38 PM
    v5.0.0.328
    platform 4.2.0.128
    02-18-11 12:42 PM
    I'm guessing your Storm is a 9530??? What you have may be latest OS released by your carrier but there are others (leaks) available.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/os...-871-a-540889/
    02-18-11 12:51 PM
    OS 6 is a lot better. I think once a new touchscreen BB comes to Verizon you should upgrade.
    02-18-11 12:53 PM
    so I can go there on my storm and download it? And yes it's a storm, 1.5 years old. Alwas been SO slow!
    02-18-11 12:54 PM
    He's talking about browser speed people (on a Storm, no less!). So why not just tell him the truth and say that the browser on the Storm will NEVER be any faster. NEVER!!
    02-18-11 12:56 PM
    OS 6 is a lot better. I think once a new touchscreen BB comes to Verizon you should upgrade.

True, but it will probably be Q3 - Q4 before Verizon sees the the new Monaco/Monza devices. But at least they may have 6.1.
    02-18-11 12:57 PM
    He's talking about browser speed people (on a Storm, no less!). So why not just tell him the truth and say that the browser on the Storm will NEVER be any faster. NEVER!!
    ah ok rats
    are any verizon BBs fast?
    are storms known to be slow then?
    02-18-11 01:06 PM
    I think upgrading your OS would make a huge difference. But if you've never done it before with a leak there are certain things you need to know. This should get you started.

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    02-18-11 01:16 PM
    wow sounds spooky!
    are storms known to be slow
    Are any vzw bbs faster?
    02-18-11 01:22 PM
    are storms known to be slow
    Are any vzw bbs faster?
    YES the STORMS are know to be slow.

Yes newer more powerfule BB runing OS6 are much faster.

But, not as fast as almost any other phone on the market in the last couple of years.... The whole way a BB connects to the Internet makes downloading pages slower... just the way it is. Probably the reason the Playbook require a BB for email, they were afraid of comparisons and didn't want to limit it in the same way.
    02-18-11 01:28 PM
    1) No...It's not spooky.

2) Yes, Storms are known to be slow. They were poorly designed and probably never should have been released with the outdated OS it shipped with.

3) Yes, other Verizon Blackberry devices are faster.
    02-18-11 01:29 PM
    I would suggest to you downloading opera mini and browse w that. I am posting this w a storm using the aforementioned app. The native browser sucks no matter what OS you download.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 03:35 PM
    YES the STORMS are know to be slow.

Yes newer more powerfule BB runing OS6 are much faster.

But, not as fast as almost any other phone on the market in the last couple of years.... The whole way a BB connects to the Internet makes downloading pages slower... just the way it is. Probably the reason the Playbook require a BB for email, they were afraid of comparisons and didn't want to limit it in the same way.
    bummer but thanks that is good to know!
    02-18-11 05:46 PM
    thanks everyone I'll try opera
    thanks!
    02-18-11 05:46 PM
    ah ok rats
    are any verizon BBs fast?
    are storms known to be slow then?
    I have a Storm 2 and had a Storm before that. I feel your pain with regard to the BB Browser. Two suggestions -

Try Opera Mini. I'm pretty happy with it. I get the speed I want. I did a side by side with an iPhone4 at a local Rogers store last weekend opening the New York Times website and my Opera beat it!. I tried it again thinking that maybe my Storm 2 had it in it's cache but got the same result ... beat it again! Opera's server does all the work on their end as far as compiling the site you're accessing (I think I've got that right) which makes for minimal time and effort on the mobile device. It has tabs as well.

There will be some sites that you will need your BB Browser for regardless. ie. The BB Beta Zone. It won't let you download a beta using Opera. To increase your BB Browser speed untick "Support JavaScript" under Browser Configuration in your Browser Options. Under General Properties I set the Image Quality to Low and the Repeat Animations to 10 times. That makes a difference. It will still be slow but at least not crawling.

As a final point clear your cache regularly. It's under Browser Options/Cache Operations.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Edge of Night; 02-18-11 at 06:13 PM.
    02-18-11 06:04 PM
    thanks, sounds cool, I'm ownloading opera right now
    02-19-11 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD