I'm a new BB curve owner (8330 with Verizon) and I've been hearing about the opera mini browser. I'm wondering if it is better than the BB browser and if many of you Blackberry lovers have it installed on your BB? Also, does Firefox make a browser for a cell phone? I can't find any mention of it on their web site so I assume they do not have one.

For those of you who prefer the opera mini for your BB, please tell me why it is better. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
    01-05-09 08:44 PM
    Currently the only browsers available for the Curve (Blackberry) is Opera Mini, Blackberry browser, Internet Browser, Wifi Browser, Wap Browser and Unite Browser. (if you are on a BES server).

This information can be found on the blogs:
    BlackBerry Browsers Explained | CrackBerry.com

01-05-09 08:54 PM
    I prefer the BlackBerry browser, but I do have Opera Mini installed. A few sites I visit have problems loading using the BlackBerry browser. For those sites I use Opera Mini. I heard rumors that Firefox had a browser in the works. Not sure how true it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 08:54 PM
    Opera Mini is faster than the BB browser partly because they have their own servers that preparse the online content before sending to your phone.

The biggest drawback is that you can't make Opera Mini the default browser. Therefore, anytime you click on a link the BB browser will open.
    01-05-09 08:55 PM
    Opera Mini also doesn't play nice with some themes that I've tried.
    01-05-09 09:02 PM
    Yes there is a mobile firefox browser in the works right now its code name is Fennec. However it was projected to be released in late 2008 but as we have all seen that isn't exactly true because seeing as it is the start of 2009 and it still isn't released who knows when the actual launch date is. If you would like to check out the concept of Fennec you can check it out here Fennec- Mozilla's mobile firefox browser where it compares it to Opera Mini. However I'm a huge fan of Firefox so once it is finally released I will probably definitely give it a try just to see what it has to offer.

Now as to you asking the benefits of OM I like its easy to use navigation using the 2,4,6,and 8 keys to quickly scroll through a page rather than using just the trackball like on the standard blackberry browser. In my personal opinion I like OM more when it comes to surfing the CB wap forums. But I feel what browser you feel is right for you is a personal choice that comes from feel, and how easy you find it to use.

01-06-09 03:37 AM
    01-06-09 06:54 AM
    A quick question regarding the Opera Mini app... Is there an OTA download of OM, or do I first have to download it to my computer before I can install?

Much like Professor, I'm curious and would like to compare for myself.

Thanks.
    01-06-09 11:10 AM
    Yea there is an OTA download. Just go to operamini.com and it will take you to their mobile download site. Or if your using wap at the moment you can click Here and that will take you directly to their site as well.

01-06-09 12:22 PM
    I just read that what a drag it it winds up to be true. Firefox is all I have ever used on my pc and it would be nice if it would work on a BB but seeing as they are talking about programming it with a few different languages c/c++, and JavaScript it will be disappointing once released if it isn't compatible with the BB JavaScript format.

01-06-09 12:27 PM
    Yeah, I was a little bummed at the idea, myself. I'm a big fan of FF on the PC and would love to have a BB version.

IMO RIM is in a position similar to that of Microsoft back in the early 90s: saddled with a lot of legacy code with built-in limitations no one expected at the time to be a problem, like when MS had to layer Windows over MS-DOS. It wasn't until the push for Win95 they dumped a lot of the legacy code base and started "fresh." I suspect RIM doesn't have as comfortable a cash flow zone for doing such a complete re-tooling.
    01-06-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD