Just realized I posted this on the wrong forum, this should be in the OS6, sorry all.

Hello all,

Got the torch about 2 weeks ago and I love it over the Curve, although it has several bugs (facebook calendar/notification issue + missed calls) , just to name a few.

I found myself downloading BOLT, but didn't know it would use the data plan and not BIS (which it obviously did because my bill jumped like 40$ in 1 day...)

Therefore I have a few questions, tried searching but I believe they are very specific:

1- Is there a way to disable the network data usage and leave only BIS with the BB browser? (No GPRS, 3G).

2- Is it possible to adjust the phone to turn off the data when the BIS is not available? (I'm a flight attendant who travels all over the and for example, in London you catch the tube and in 10 minutes goes through 5 different networks at least, and charges will occur very often).

Thanks!
    Last edited by ancelot; 11-16-10 at 12:40 PM.
    11-16-10 12:36 PM
    You're confusing BIS, which is your data plan, with WiFi, which doesn't use your data. Bolt will work through WiFi, you can set it through preferences. Further, you can disable your data, by turning off your mobile network, but you'll receive no calls or texts while it's off.
    11-16-10 01:04 PM
    No no, I'm not getting confused at all, see:

I live in Dubai and have international roaming and all the sorts for the blackberry. But I don't have an unlimited data plan outside the BIS, meaning that if I'm roaming on GPRS I get charged, or at least that's what I was told.

I know I brought Bolt into the matter, but it's only because I was using it and my data usage went up the roof, since the BIS was not "roaming" (let's put it that way), and the BB was using purely the 3G connection, like any other normal phone.

That's why I'm asking if there's a way to configure the phone to make it work only thru BIS and not to the data plan (like non-BB phones, those use the 3g/2g networks and get charged by MB)

Thanks!
    Last edited by ancelot; 11-16-10 at 01:21 PM.
    11-16-10 01:15 PM
    Well no problem with the browser on this end. Sounds like you may have a carrier issue and not a Torch issue. GPRS/EDGE(uh, 2G) is the default backup to 3G on BIS carriers for the Torch. WiFi has no charges.

But I don't have an unlimited data plan outside the BIS, meaning that if I'm roaming on GPRS I get charged, or at least that's what I was told.
    Hmmm.
    11-16-10 03:52 PM
    Yeah I know, hence my question.

I can't expect anything else from the carrier, so the was hoping for a solution within the device that could fix it.
    11-17-10 01:10 AM
    There is no way to shut the data off from your carrier without also shutting down phone service. You can delete your emails from BIS, remove BBM from the phone, turn off MMS, and close any push apps, then not use the browser at all. Or, you could leave the BlackBerry at home, and take a pay-as-you-go with you. Only other possibility I could see, would be contacting your carrier, and asking if they can shut off data to your phone while you travel.
    11-17-10 05:01 AM
    I want to use data all over the world, that's why I have a blackberry, so I won't have to pay extra money when using internet on the move. But only when the BIS is available.

If the data doesn't go through the BIS (RIM's data service) and goes through normal data service, I will be charged extra, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.
    I get random charges that are obviously kb consumption just because I might be surfing the internet and suddenly the EDGE or 3G indicator at the top of the screen (with the BB network logo) will change to GPRS or 3G with no BB logo on it, then I'm not using data through the BIS anymore and I will be charge a big plus.

Shutting the data connection is exactly the same as doing it from my blackberry, and I wouldn't be able to use the phone to stay connected. I spend 50% outside the country and it's a need to stay in touch without paying ridiculous fees (Right now my average is about 200 u$s a month, trying to low it to 100$) just for a tricky thing in the way the blackberry handles its data.

Just wanted to know if it was possible or through an app to specify only to allow data when the BIS was active.

Asking something to Etisalat (The infamous company in the UAE that had spyware on their BBs) is like whispering on a deaf man's ear. Their customer support is non existant.

Thanks for the replies anyways!
    11-17-10 06:30 AM
    I fully understand what you want, and can sympathize with your carrier situation. Wish I had the answer you want, but there isn't one.
    11-17-10 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD