This will not turn out well.

Apparently Handster converted the app and submitted it to app world without the app creators consent. They said they will be working to have the app removed. I love the browser on my PB

Is your Android app on BlackBerry App World without you knowing? -- Engadget
    02-25-12 09:19 AM
    So, what does this mean, do I just delete it now, or will it function for those who have already downloaded it. I suspect that, like Apple, BB will just remove it from the PlayBook when one syncs the PB on the DM.
    02-25-12 09:29 AM
    is there some kind of advantage of using dolphin over the regular browser??
    and is handster linked to dolphin in any way??
    02-25-12 09:30 AM
    I've used the Dolphin HD Browser and its nothing special. I still use the PlayBook browser as my goto browser and don't think that will change whether Dolphin stays or not.
    02-25-12 09:39 AM
    There are a few things that I like:

The operating system memory appears to be better managed so you don't have those "poof" moments where apps just close.

I like how a quick swipe allows you to scroll to the top and bottoms of pages much quicker.

Just little things really. I'm really happy with the stock browser just not happy that this situation will throw fuel to the fire of the RIM PR battle I guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rkennedy01 likes this.
    02-25-12 09:39 AM
    The anti-RIM media is going to have a field day with this.
    02-25-12 09:40 AM
    This is similar to How the Google them selves operate. Just go ahead and suffer the consequence after. Witch tend to be nil.
    02-25-12 09:40 AM
    I suspect that, like Apple, BB will just remove it from the PlayBook when one syncs the PB on the DM.
    Actually that's not true. Apple has yet to delete individual apps from devices; instead it just pulls the app from the App Store. Even when an app is pulled from the App Store, people that have already purchased/downloaded it can still use it. Now, there is a kill switch that they could use to remove/disable apps, but I'm not aware of them ever actually using it.
    02-25-12 09:48 AM
    After going to App World, I see there are two (2) Dolphin browsers one can download, and both are by Handster. Which of these two is the "unauthorized" app?
    02-25-12 09:49 AM
    It always amazes me at the complete lack of effort shown by tech bloggers in reporting on technology. A simple Google search reveals that Handster has been offering Dolphin products to Android users, as well as articles dating from last December that report Handster was repackaging Android apps for the Playbook.

So it would seem that either Dolphin has forgotten terms of their agreement with Handster or Handster did not receive needed clearance to repackage the app. But why look at it from that angle when you can portray RIM as raiding Android apps as Engadget seems to be spinning it? Which is a funny stance for a platform that has been generally driven by users who willfully violate the terms of use on their handsets.
    02-25-12 09:51 AM
    But why look at it from that angle when you can portray RIM as raiding Android apps as Engadget seems to be spinning it?
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion. When I read the article, all signs point to laying blame on Handster.
    02-25-12 10:03 AM
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion. When I read the article, all signs point to laying blame on Handster.
    Because they name BlackBerry App World first instead of saying "Is Handster submitting your apps without your knowledge?". Since Handster submits Dolphin to several stores it would be the better starting point to find out if they are allowed to submit Dolphin anywhere before specifically bringing up BlackBerry.

Because as the Internet now shows on any search of the subject, this is being spread to the Android aggregators with an anti-RIM flavourful and "Oh, RIM is going to get sued!" add-ons. They pick the words that will generate flaming, and any mention of RIM or BlackBerry attracts a certain crowd.
    Dapper37 and DAnklaud like this.
    02-25-12 10:12 AM
    Actually that's not true. Apple has yet to delete individual apps from devices; instead it just pulls the app from the App Store. Even when an app is pulled from the App Store, people that have already purchased/downloaded it can still use it. Now, there is a kill switch that they could use to remove/disable apps, but I'm not aware of them ever actually using it.
    Not so, I have had three apps from Apple that were removed from the Apple Store, and they still functioned on my iPhone UNTIL I connected my phone to iTunes to follow through on an update alert. What happened was those apps removed from the App store were no longer on iTunes, and once I sync'd and updated the alerted app, the one's Apple removed were no longer on my iPhone.
    02-25-12 10:15 AM
    Because they name BlackBerry App World first instead of saying "Is Handster submitting your apps without your knowledge?". Since Handster submits Dolphin to several stores it would be the better starting point to find out if they are allowed to submit Dolphin anywhere before specifically bringing up BlackBerry.

Because as the Internet now shows on any search of the subject, this is being spread to the Android aggregators with an anti-RIM flavourful and "Oh, RIM is going to get sued!" add-ons. They pick the words that will generate flaming, and any mention of RIM or BlackBerry attracts a certain crowd.
    I think you're reading way too much into it.
    02-25-12 10:19 AM

The title of the story is "Is Your Android App on Blackberry AppWorld without you knowing?" How does this imply it's Appworld's fault?

"We do not condone Handster submitting our Dolphin Browser app to BlackBerry's App World for us and are currently working to take it down and assure Handster will not submit our app for us again. We will assess developing for BlackBerry when the time is right."
    This quote doesn't imply Appworld in any way..so I'm not sure why you're trying to make an article out to be "slanderous" when it's not.
    02-25-12 10:26 AM
    Not so, I have had three apps from Apple that were removed from the Apple Store, and they still functioned on my iPhone UNTIL I connected my phone to iTunes to follow through on an update alert. What happened was those apps removed from the App store were no longer on iTunes, and once I sync'd and updated the alerted app, the one's Apple removed were no longer on my iPhone.
    Wow, that's strange. I have a couple apps that were removed from the app store, but they're still in my library and can sync all I want, they don't go away. Never heard of that happening before
    02-25-12 11:37 AM
    Happens. It is not rim fault. I guess somebody wanted free pb badly
    02-25-12 11:46 AM
    Its not schocking at all. I have mentioned this many times. People can just take any APK file and submit it to handstar or convert it themselves and then have it in Appworld. There doesnt seem to be any checks to see if the person submitting the apps actually are the creators. It sucks for devs big time that someone else can easily claim their app and make profit even.
    avt123 and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-25-12 11:52 AM
    Why is it that apk's are so easily available? Forgive my lack of understanding, but I have used android phones before and I'm aware that you can simply google search for apk's that can be downloaded and installed on the device.

How and why are they so freely available outside of app stores?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 12:11 PM
    Its just the format that android stores them in i guess. Actually the playbook when making a backup does something similar. It is easy to take apps that way and distribute or even decompile if you want sort of.

Pirating exists on every platform, but the android player just makes it real easy to do and make money off of IMO. Its not like all the android devs have access to what is on appworld and can monitor it. They obviously can monitor android market and are paying attention to that.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-25-12 12:20 PM
    I can see this causing a lot more problems in the future.
    02-25-12 12:59 PM
    BS. If Apple ever did this there would be such an outcry on every news blog the whole world would now about it. Not to mention they would have to refund any paid apps the pulled. You are either spreading FUD or you didn't know what you were doing.

Here's an example:
    iTether pulled from the iOS App Store

So, what does this mean, do I just delete it now, or will it function for those who have already downloaded it. I suspect that, like Apple, BB will just remove it from the PlayBook when one syncs the PB on the DM.
    When did Apple ever remove an app from a device? They remove it from the store, but it still functions on the device. For example, VLC.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-25-12 at 01:15 PM.
    02-25-12 01:03 PM
    Its not schocking at all. I have mentioned this many times. People can just take any APK file and submit it to handstar or convert it themselves and then have it in Appworld. There doesnt seem to be any checks to see if the person submitting the apps actually are the creators. It sucks for devs big time that someone else can easily claim their app and make profit even.
    From what I understand Dolphin has a contract with Handster to market their browser & submit it on various android markets. They are upset becuase they feel that App world is not an Android marketplace & so they were un-authorised to submit it....hard to say much more as we don't have access to their contracts & can't check the exact wording.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-25-12 03:28 PM
    I agree that the title could've been better. The content isn't too bad...they really should have said on the title "Is Someone Your Android app to BB App World". Unfortunately, people are going to read that title and start to write crap about BB App World which is not good.
    02-25-12 03:59 PM
    From what I understand Dolphin has a contract with Handster to market their browser & submit it on various android markets. They are upset becuase they feel that App world is not an Android marketplace & so they were un-authorised to submit it....hard to say much more as we don't have access to their contracts & can't check the exact wording.
    Thats fine for dolphin, i wasnt really referring to them. Its more a general statement about the whole thing. I could go get 10 apps that are free from android market and convert and submit them and i bet 8 get approved. I could also charge 99 cents for them and probably all this would take 1-2 hours of my time.
    02-25-12 06:25 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD