A brief video of BB10 was recently posted on YouTube that shows a previously unknown feature. When it recognizes a word that isn't in the dictionary you can tap on the word and get the normal suggested spelling corrections but now you also get the option to quickly add the word to the phone's dictionary. Not the most mind blowing feature but it will be the little things like this that add up.

MADBRADNYC, ekafara and BoldAlways like this.
    11-27-12 07:15 PM
    A feature I use too often on my 9900....it didn't even think "Cyber" was a word!
    11-27-12 07:21 PM
    A must-have feature on any BB. Also a huge fan of word substitution
    11-27-12 07:25 PM
    It would've been a major fail if that wasn't included in the upcoming BB 10 at some point...
    11-27-12 07:28 PM
    It would've been a major fail if that wasn't included in the upcoming BB 10 at some point...
    I think it's a given the word substitution would be included, but the add to dictionary is a new addition. In BB7 we have to go into the options menu and manually add the word to the phone's dictionary.
    11-27-12 07:38 PM
    "Add to dictionary" was so vital every time I got a new BB in the past, it's pretty essential actually. The other platforms took forever to catch up and even still, I find it very clunky. Another reason I'm looking forward to going back to BlackBerry.
    11-27-12 07:47 PM
    Nice post!
    Thanks, OP!
    11-27-12 07:53 PM
    "Add to dictionary" was so vital every time I got a new BB in the past, it's pretty essential actually. The other platforms took forever to catch up and even still, I find it very clunky. Another reason I'm looking forward to going back to BlackBerry.
    Plazmic, out of curiosity what device do you have now? My iPhone 4S does not seem to correctly execute on the words I add to its dictionary. Seems like Siri also doesn't recognize "nicknames" or these added dictionary words well, especially names I have to put for people who have a name with different pronunciation than their spelling suggests (silent K, f for ph, etc).

Admittedly I have had problems with this as of recent and didn't seem to notice or have as many problems with it in the past.

It's the little things.
    11-28-12 03:43 AM
    Plazmic, out of curiosity what device do you have now? My iPhone 4S does not seem to correctly execute on the words I add to its dictionary. Seems like Siri also doesn't recognize "nicknames" or these added dictionary words well, especially names I have to put for people who have a name with different pronunciation than their spelling suggests (silent K, f for ph, etc).

Admittedly I have had problems with this as of recent and didn't seem to notice or have as many problems with it in the past.

It's the little things.
    I have an iPhone 4S as well and the dictionary wasn't too bad but once iOS 6 got pushed out, it ruined everything. Even for some of my shortcuts it wouldn't work and would suggest completely random words instead of the ones I setup. The little things like this do count, I think BlackBerry is going to do it right.
    11-28-12 09:25 AM
    I think it's a given the word substitution would be included, but the add to dictionary is a new addition. In BB7 we have to go into the options menu and manually add the word to the phone's dictionary.
    Strange... my 9530 automatically added words to dictionary after being used a few times.
    11-28-12 09:40 AM
    They should add 'definion' feature to BB10, when u receive a txt with a word that you don't kno, u select it and then look up a definition/meaning of that word without going on the internet
    11-28-12 11:24 AM
    The "Definition" feature sounds good to me as well.
    However, it would require the installation of those definitions into on-board memory which could probably hamper the device performance.
    That's without utilizing the internet though. SD card use would most likely be slow to index as well for such volume.
    Looking at the better dictionary applications currently available, they all seem to require many GB of local memory.
    11-28-12 01:34 PM
    I would imaagine so but RIM could provide its onw Definition App which could be downloaded from App World and then you choose your own Language packs and only those get downloaded.
    11-28-12 01:53 PM
    Yes. I just naturally assumed you were speaking of a native application/function included in the OS just like the "Add to dictionary" feature mentioned in this thread.
    I was really only referencing a single language utilized by the user of the device, or the languages that are installed by the user, just like the current BBOS has the ability to install.
    I was only comparing the better current 3rd party applications available to what RIM could probably offer.
    Those 3rd party dictionaries I'm speaking of have huge files to reference even with only a single language.
    Just hold a real dictionary in your hand and imagine all that data involved being migrated to a device or SD card.

Personally, I still like the idea though...
    11-28-12 02:13 PM
    Originally I was thinking of just preloading it on the phone as part of the OS but they I realized that it would take a lot of memory. I think it would work great as OS enhancement app.
    11-28-12 02:23 PM
    I would imaagine so but RIM could provide its onw Definition App which could be downloaded from App World and then you choose your own Language packs and only those get downloaded.
    Or just request the definition from the server? Would only take a moment to get the definition.
    11-28-12 05:19 PM
    Um....not really....just hit the bb menu button for the word and add to dictionary is an option. Pretty quick and easy.
    11-28-12 06:03 PM
    Or just request the definition from the server? Would only take a moment to get the definition.
    For sure that would would work, but having an option to download it would also be great because I would see more use out of dictionary if you are out of your country and roaming. Then againg this is area in which BlackBerry shines with data compression.
    11-28-12 06:36 PM