Hey y'all. I had an idea. I really dislike reading around Crackberry and seeing people bashing the Android/IOS platform and/or their users. I dislike seeing people calling these devices "toys" and say that there's no way to be productive on these devices. I see misinformation slung to and fro about poor battery life, force closes, etc because people may have tried an Android device in the past, but have no idea of the functionality of current devices. Or worse, people who bash Android/IOS haven't even used these devices and are just going by word of mouth! Having used both BB and Android as my daily drivers, and currently using a BB as a secondary device, I can say that if one uses it correctly, Android can be just as functional as BB, if not moreso.

If possible without turning this into yet another BB vs Android/IOS thread, I'd like to have an honest q&a session here. I'd like for BB owners to ask Android /IOS users how specific tasks they use every day on their BBs translates to Android/IOS. Like what the native email/calendar/word processing/etc app looks like, its functions, etc, questions about how multitasking works, apps, different keyboards, settings, etc. I'd like to see lots of screenshots shared (espeically because I'm not even that familiar with OS7 or IOS so I'd like to see how these OSs work as well).

The purpose of this thread should NOT be to convince BB users that one OS is "better" than the other. I'm HOPING that this thread will serve to EDUCATE people and in turn keep the BB vs Android vs IOS flamewars down to a minimum because people will finally be able to conceptualize how certain features work on the different OSs and not go by minimal hands-on time, word of mouth, stereotypes, etc.

Can this type of thread work without spiraling out of control, or am I being too optimistic?
    10-28-11 12:50 PM
    Ok. I'll start with a question.

I do have a Gmail account, but I use Outlook, not Gmail for my contacts, calendar, and managing all of my email accounts (I have 3 others beside Gmail).

BIS syncs well with all of my email accounts/contacts/calendar in Outlook. I do not use Gmail for contacts or calendar.

Is there a way to easily sync everything in Outlook on an Android, or does everything have to use Gmail or 3rd party apps?

If 3rd party apps are required to sync Outlook on Android, are they free?
    10-28-11 12:57 PM
    What would you like screenshots of? I have iOS 5, I can help ya out.
    10-28-11 12:57 PM
    OP you didn't mention the daily bashing of bb users by iOS and android users. That doesn't count?
    10-28-11 01:05 PM
    ^^^ and here it goes...

Great idea for a thread, but it will be derailed. I suspect you are too optimistic. LOL.
    10-28-11 01:12 PM

I do have a Gmail account, but I use Outlook, not Gmail for my contacts, calendar, and managing all of my email accounts (I have 3 others beside Gmail).

BIS syncs well with all of my email accounts/contacts/calendar in Outlook. I do not use Gmail for contacts or calendar.

Is there a way to easily sync everything in Outlook on an Android, or does everything have to use Gmail or 3rd party apps?

I think with Android you have to use Google to sync. With iPhone though, you can use iTunes.

Plenty of apps exist to sync Outlook to Google. The calendar can be synced for free.
    10-28-11 01:13 PM
    No there you don't go. The OP said he is tired of iOS and android users gerting crap from bb users. You don't think he should've said users getting crap from users of other devices including all devices. The OP has a good idea, just pointing out on a bb site I think bb users take the brunt of crap so they should be included.

Did I say anything not true or give the OP or anyone else crap?
    Jake Storm and recompile like this.
    10-28-11 01:17 PM
    I think with Android you have to use Google to sync. With iPhone though, you can use iTunes.

Plenty of apps exist to sync Outlook to Google. The calendar can be synced for free.
    Is it possible to use and sync an iPhone without iTunes?

I could not stand iTunes on my PC. I only tried it when Starbucks had the cards offering free songs through iTunes. I uninstalled iTunes and will not use it again, so does that automatically rule out iPhone for me?
    10-28-11 01:18 PM
    1. Is there a better BlackBerry calendar? One that shows event text inside the day in grid view?

2. Has Google Voice app been updated? How's it working for SMS? Any lock up issues?

3. Is there an app to track period and moods?

4. Also, I'm concerned with the white screen errors on the new Bolds. Is this issue resolved with the new update?

Thanks!
    10-28-11 01:19 PM

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help answer this question. I personally don't look Outlook on my phone. I know there's something called ActiveSync that comes on the stock email client, but I'm not exactly sure what this is :S.

OP you didn't mention the daily bashing of bb users by iOS and android users. That doesn't count?
    From what I've seen the bashing by Android/IOS users toward BB users is in response to BB users calling Android/IOS devices "toys" and other inflammatory language like this. Of course there are a few "trolls" who just try to egg people on, but likewise there are a few "bb fanboys" that do the same thing. Again, I want this thread to be a source of knowledge about the other platforms instead of blindly bashing one platform over another. I mentioned that I'm not even well-versed in OS7 or IOS. Not that I bash these two platforms but I know there are some that do.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-28-11 01:21 PM

I could not stand iTunes on my PC. I only tried it when Starbucks had the cards offering free songs through iTunes. I uninstalled iTunes and will not use it again, so does that automatically rule out iPhone for me?
    Yes it is. You can sync directly with Google or with iCloud or with any MS Exchange server.

Its possible some third party has an app too but I don't use a Windows PC anymore (except at work of course) and I sync OTA with Google and iCloud.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-28-11 01:22 PM
    No there you don't go. The OP said he is tired of iOS and android users gerting crap from bb users. You don't think he should've said users getting crap from users of other devices including all devices. The OP has a good idea, just pointing out on a bb site I think bb users take the brunt of crap so they should be included.

Did I say anything not true or give the OP or anyone else crap?
    I'm a she, btw . I'm only speaking from the threads I see. I don't view every single thread posted on CB, but in the ones I do view I see more BB users bashing Android/IOS than the other way around.

The point of this isn't to point fingers on which users of which platform are victimized the most .
    10-28-11 01:24 PM
    Here are some screenies:

Here is what ActiveSync setup looks like:

Here is my combined email inbox:

I can also choose which inbox to view if I just wanted to view one at a time. Here is the email inbox switcher:

Here are my calendar views:

Edited to add new event screen:

Below that you get reminders and repetition (couldn't fit all that on the screenshot).
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-28-11 at 01:53 PM.
    10-28-11 01:46 PM

What do you mean by SYNC?

You mean mail contacts and calendar NO you don't need iTunes. I use gmail setup as an Exchange account.
    10-28-11 02:04 PM
    I'm a she, btw . I'm only speaking from the threads I see. I don't view every single thread posted on CB, but in the ones I do view I see more BB users bashing Android/IOS than the other way around.

The point of this isn't to point fingers on which users of which platform are victimized the most .
    Sorry about the he. Anyway I agree and am not pointing fingers. I'm interested in your thread also. Just thought it should be included it happens all around and none of it is right.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-28-11 03:29 PM
    Ok, so here goes. Can someone who has used iOS5 and Android help me out by comparing similar features on those platforms to these ones on BB:

* Notifications - obviously no LED, but how about VM, Email, MMS/SMS etc. notifications compare?
    * Bedside mode
    * Email - how fast are new messages received?
    * Syncing contacts/calendar with MS Outlook
    * Data usage - does BB data compression make a big difference?
    * Has anyone ever got malware/virus on their mobile device? How bad?
    * Battery life, realistically

Never having used Android or iOS, these are some of the questions I have based on rumours, what I've heard from friends etc. Any insight folks?
    10-28-11 04:15 PM
    Ok, so here goes. Can someone who has used iOS5 and Android help me out by comparing similar features on those platforms to these ones on BB:

* Notifications - obviously no LED, but how about VM, Email, MMS/SMS etc. notifications compare?
    My Bolt has an LED. A lot of Android devices do now. Not as good as BB's though. However, both Android and iP4+ have the pull down notifications tray. I love this feature! Get alerted of a message with icons on the top bar, then pull down that bar and all your notifications are listed. Tap any to open. Works great!

* Bedside mode
    There are apps called bedside mode that do the same. You can customize sound profiles. Personally, I just put my device on silent.

Same as BlackBerry. Most emails on Android are push. HTML emails look better in my Android than my BB. Since I use gmail I can view all labels. Email looks computer-like. Much prefer email on an Android

Don't use Outlook so can't comment. I use Google for contact and calander sync, as I did on my BB.

Yes. I use 5-6 GB a month on Android. On my BB, never over 2GB. Same usage habits.

Never had any malware. I only download trusted apps, same as on BB.

Poor on my Thunderbolt. Have to use an extended battery to get the same life as my BB. This makes the Android bulky and heavy. Dislike this very much!

Never having used Android or iOS, these are some of the questions I have based on rumours, what I've heard from friends etc. Any insight folks?
    Hope my replies give some insight into Android. I use an HTC Thunderbolt, Gingerbread OS with Sense 2.1.

By the way, all of my replies are typed using my Android device!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-28-11 at 04:48 PM.
    10-28-11 04:46 PM
    Thanks Chrisy, that's very helpful.

The notification 'tray' that you mentioned - is that similar to OS7?

If i was to try another brand, I think it would be an Android flavour of some type.

Oh, and what features does Sense add over and above the OS?
    10-28-11 04:55 PM
    Hope my replies give some insight into Android. I use an HTC Thunderbolt, Gingerbread OS with Sense 2.1.

By the way, all of my replies are typed using my Android device!
    Sorry to get off topic but.....

Wow chrisy. I didn't realize the data usage difference with the same use. That would cost me $. Think I'll stick with bb for awhile. I don't even do 2gb bridging the playbook every day for probably 5 hours of use out of 8 bridged but idle.
    10-28-11 04:55 PM

Wow chrisy. I didn't realize the data usage difference with the same use. That would cost me $. Think I'll stick with bb for awhile. I don't even do 2gb bridging the playbook every day for probably 5 hours of use out of 8 bridged but idle.
    Yes, it's a pretty big difference. I think the increase is partly (if not largely) because I use the browser to visit full sites, with flash, now. On my BlackBerry Tour I only used mobile sites.

Also, I have several widgets spread around my home screens that update every 3-8 hours. For example I have a live weather radar map. I love it visually! Stunning and very helpful. But I'm sure it uses a lot of data and battery.
    10-28-11 05:01 PM
    Yes, it's a pretty big difference. I think the increase is partly (if not largely) because I use the browser to visit full sites, with flash, now. On my BlackBerry Tour I only used mobile sites.

Also, I have several widgets spread around my home screens that update every 3-8 hours. For example I have a live weather radar map. I love it visually! Stunning and very helpful. But I'm sure it uses a lot of data and battery.
    Could be some of it but I'm using full sites with flash also on the playbook so RIM's compression must still do a lot unless your widgets are using so much? I can't even imagine surfing on my tour at all anymore.
    10-28-11 05:04 PM

i tried to find the article but couldnt. The bb is the best for data compression and iphone is second bedt. Android phones use the most from what i have read.

i have the iphone 4 and my battery life is better than my 9650. When i stream pandora or espn radio at work, I notice my 9650 drains much faster than if i was to use my iphone. just my experience tho.
    10-28-11 05:04 PM
    Thanks Chrisy, that's very helpful.

The notification 'tray' that you mentioned - is that similar to OS7?

If i was to try another brand, I think it would be an Android flavour of some type.

Oh, and what features does Sense add over and above the OS?
    I don't know how Android notification pull down tray compares to BBOS7. When I used a BBOS7 device, I only checked out the browser. That was my only interest at the time. Someone with BBOS7 will know.

As for Sense, it's HTC's visual user interface and I do love it. It's smooth, visually pleasing and everything flows well together. I've used Samsung and Motorola Androids and I just liked Sense more. That's just a personal preference.

A lot of folks don't like any UI that covers the vanilla experience.

To me, Sense is very customizable. No need for themes like on a BlackBerry. You can create your own theme on an Android. Highly personalized. Rooted, you can customize even more!

I love how my Android is a mix of visual widgets, apps, shortcuts. Seven screens, all unique and purposeful.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    10-28-11 05:08 PM
    Sorry about the he. Anyway I agree and am not pointing fingers. I'm interested in your thread also. Just thought it should be included it happens all around and none of it is right.
    I agree. I'm coming from a user who has used both platforms, and I see more incorrect information being given about Android from people that have limited knowledge. I think it's safe to assume that most people on Crackberry have great knowledge of BB, so of course it stands to reason that there's a LOT less misinformation there. The thread is really about clearing up some of the misinformation.

* Bedside mode

Notifications - On many Android devices there IS an LED light. However, it can't change color. However, there is an app called NoLED that makes notifications appear on the lock screen for mail, texts, etc. Each notification has its own icon and color that you assign to it. And Chrisy already covered the notifcation shade. I love that thing!

Email - I have mine set to retrieve every 15 minutes because the speed of delivery doesn't matter to me as much as content. I can safely say that the actual content is more robust on android because there is no truncation, and images and text show up as if you were reading the email on a PC. Gmail is push, and I think if you use apps like K9 you can have other accounts pushed as well.

Outlook syncing - Like Chrisy, I don't use Outlook either so someone else will have to answer that.

Data usage - I have a 5gb cap, and I only use about 2gb a month. When I'm at home, I have my device on wifi, so that's a big reason why. When I'm out and about I typically just send/receive emails and texts and stream music while at the gym.

Malware - I haven't experienced this yet.

Battery - It's now 5pm and I took my phone off the charger around 7am. I am sitting at 50%. Today my usage has been sending/receiving about 15ish emails, 20ish texts, several IMs, about 45mins-ish of web browsing, downloading a couple apps, uploading pics to facebook, checking some stuff on google maps, and about an hour on the phone.

ETA: Forgot about bedside mode. My Sensation has a "Dock Mode" that serves as a bedside mode. It's pretty customizeable, too. You can have your friend stream (twitter and facebook) feeds come to it, which doesn't show in my screenshot. Also, for some reason I can't get this to show in a screenshot, but the background of this isn't pure black like it shows. Instead, it's a live "wallpaper" showing the current weather conditions. In this case it shows sun and clouds. And of course you can either have it dim or not.

Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-28-11 at 05:19 PM.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    10-28-11 05:09 PM
    Agreed that BlackBerry is the best for data compression! I have unlimited data so I don't worry about what I use. However, who knows when I'll be forced to a tier!

I have to add that I use more data than the average person because 1.) I don't have access to wifi and 2.) I don't own a computer. I do EVERYTHING on my phone that most folks do on a computer!

Also, music, YouTube, navigation.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-28-11 at 05:13 PM.
    10-28-11 05:10 PM
147 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD