Like Marty Mallick can do better
    milo53 likes this.
    03-31-14 04:28 PM
    9 years of dedication only to get squeezed out the door. Sucks but I hope he lands back on his feet. California is calling.
    Dedication is bought . . . two weeks at a time.
    milo53 and Toodeurep like this.
    03-31-14 04:35 PM
    Just read some of his Twitter posts. Very classy guy who didn't say anything negative comments about BlackBerry. That is a positive attitude that will surely be an asset to any new company that is looking for talent. best of luck to you!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    03-31-14 04:42 PM
    How has Marty Mallick stayed afloat!?
    Probably because there's a lot more visibility to what he does in terms of relationships with developers and what it takes to bring them on board. Chen himself probably has to be involved in many of the big discussions so he knows what is and isn't being done and what the roadblocks are.

With Zubert, it's probably more of a line-item thing
    03-31-14 04:52 PM
    Im not sure, im pretty disturbed that Marty Mallick still has a job at BlackBerry, especially after he was on stage in front of a wall of apps that many of which never even came close to coming.....or even fruit slash or whatever the app game is even being used as an app icon in the promo vid for bb10 launch. This guy sucks

Anyone thinking of sticking up for Mallick....
    PS Vita has a Netflix app.......let that sink in for a second.

Smh.

Posted via CB10
    I agree Marty Mallick should be let go. His failure to get top name apps might be the most important reason for BB10's downfall.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    03-31-14 05:31 PM
    I agree Marty Mallick should be let go. His failure to get top name apps might be the most important reason for BB10's downfall.

Whats the most disappointing is most people on here were calling for his head this time last year....even with all the turmoil and turnover that happened at waterloo, that guy is still there......like his portfolio is what?....a half broken ebay port!?.....just terrible.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:37 PM
    LOL you guys are rough.

If he had unlimited purse strings, I'm sure he could have made things happen. Just sayin'.

Using WP8 as a gauge (and CBK's insight as soon guide), I have no doubt humongous app ransoms stalled negotiations. Marty would not have had the juice to pay huge amounts... that would be a CEO decision.
    03-31-14 05:49 PM
    Maybe he is the one doing all the leaks lol

Posted from my new toy Z30.
    03-31-14 05:52 PM
    LOL you guys are rough.

If he had unlimited purse strings, I'm sure he could have made things happen. Just sayin'.

Using WP8 as a gauge (and CBK's insight as soon guide), I have no doubt humongous app ransoms stalled negotiations. Marty would not have had the juice to pay huge amounts... that would be a CEO decision.
    They could have paid netflix at least for an app. Like no joke.....its 2014 and we still dont have a netflix app......thats lunacy, he should have been fired for that alone.

You pay out for netflix and instagram.....you'd cut in half the app bashing from reviewers.

Dont get me wrong I know we can sideload both and igrann is great, but still...no netflix in 2014 is a disgrace....an utter disgrace.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:57 PM
    Hey folks, I'm humbled to see my name floating around the forums.

To answer the original poster, yes, today was my last day at BlackBerry. I was laid off this morning as part of the ongoing reductions that you've been hearing about. Long story short, a couple of teams were merging which created some redundancies.

I won't get into the gory details, but I did want to let everyone know that I'm doing ok and it's in large part due to the wonderful support I've received throughout the day. Team BlackBerry has been out in full force, and for that, I'm forever thankful. You guys rock and it's this wonderful community that has kept me motivated and driven these past 9 years.

Sincerely,
    Brian Zubert
    I've said it once already, but will say it again. Love the way you expressed yourself and took the news to Twitter, really mature and a lot of optimism! Good luck and hope you get back on your feet soon
    On another note, does this mean we get to see you around more on CrackBerry?
    That 5 year old account should be put in use now :P

Posted via CB10
    milo53, maddie1128 and MoeR15 like this.
    03-31-14 05:59 PM
    The thing with Management is that you can only move up, or move sideways, but never down. If you can't move up or sideways due to management change, you are moved out. You can't be just pushed into a lower position.
    If you've worked out there long enough, you know that is what happens.

The thing is that you will always have your experience, so if you have not done anything wrong, you will be sure to find a job. If you're really smart, you might even start your own company.

Good luck to all those that have been recently let go. Perhaps you will all start your own company and someday be the second biggest company in the world. Behind BlackBerry of course which will be #1 and will kick apple and google out of there.
    03-31-14 06:02 PM
    On one hand, it's good to see BBRY continue to streamline operations. On the other hand, it's bad seeing good people getting tossed.

Wish you the best of luck, Brian. Someone a long time ago told me the good ones always land on their feet. I have no doubt you'll land on your feet.
    03-31-14 06:02 PM
    Marty was a name who everyone wanted out just as much as Frank Boulben.

Even I agree with the community that Marty should be held accountable for his actions. I remember Alec setting the facts straight about what HE was responsible for bringing and what Marty was responsible for. To this day there is a reason why the community endorses Alec and NOT Marty.

Best of luck to you Brian. Thanks for everything you did.
    03-31-14 06:16 PM
    Marty was a name who everyone wanted out just as much as Frank Boulben.

Even I agree with the community that Marty should be held accountable for his actions. I remember Alec setting the facts straight about what HE was responsible for bringing and what Marty was responsible for. To this day there is a reason why the community endorses Alec and NOT Marty.

Best of luck to you Brian. Thanks for everything you did.
    I don't know Marty, and most of you don't know him either, so none of us can really judge. We see that he wasn't able to deliver, but we don't know what his efforts with. When you are dealing with third parties, no matter what you do, sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

On the other hand, Frank Boulben did his job, but it wasn't successful because his strategy wasn't right, and we saw what his end product is. With marketing, you can actually see the effort that was made. It was definitely less than spectacular.
    Gerii likes this.
    03-31-14 06:21 PM
    Hey folks, I'm humbled to see my name floating around the forums.

To answer the original poster, yes, today was my last day at BlackBerry. I was laid off this morning as part of the ongoing reductions that you've been hearing about. Long story short, a couple of teams were merging which created some redundancies.

I won't get into the gory details, but I did want to let everyone know that I'm doing ok and it's in large part due to the wonderful support I've received throughout the day. Team BlackBerry has been out in full force, and for that, I'm forever thankful. You guys rock and it's this wonderful community that has kept me motivated and driven these past 9 years.

Sincerely,
    Brian Zubert
    Thanks for all you've done Brian. I have to be frank though, this internal decision is really disturbing IMO.
    Gerii, Toodeurep and aminrajabi like this.
    03-31-14 06:33 PM
    Perhaps Marty Mallick wasn't given the proper tools to get results. We are talking about the Heins regime after all. But on the surface, it appears there was a lack of effort on his part.
    03-31-14 06:34 PM
    LOL you guys are rough.

There are android apps that currently work perfectly on BB10 like Zite and Pinterest, but Marty has not even been able to convince them to just submit those apps to Blackberry World. For me that's a complete failure. Not only that but his team is the one that is responsible for business alliances and partnerships. We haven't seen anything meaningful from this guy. He should be let go!

03-31-14 06:34 PM
    Thanks for all you've done Brian. I have to be frank though, this internal decision is really disturbing IMO.
    Please elaborate.
    03-31-14 06:37 PM
    Please elaborate.
    Brian has arguably done a lot for BlackBerry, especially in the last few months. Creating apps for the local community, getting apps onto the platform, getting press that otherwise would not be there if the work he and fellow colleagues was not done. It's all a very 'WTF?' situation if you ask me.
    03-31-14 06:41 PM
    Brian has arguably done a lot for BlackBerry, especially in the last few months. Creating apps for the local community, getting apps onto the platform, getting press that otherwise would not be there if the work he and fellow colleagues was not done. It's all a very 'WTF?' situation if you ask me.
    Sounds like an interesting blog post
    03-31-14 06:43 PM
    I'm no longer surprised, blackberry is kicking out the good people!

Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.140 | BB10STORE on Aptoide
    milo53 likes this.
    03-31-14 06:57 PM
    Completely agree......can you guys find out what pictures Marty Mallick has of the high ups that allows him to keep his job?.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    03-31-14 07:44 PM
    I'm no longer surprised, blackberry is kicking out the good people!
    It could come down to a difference in philosophy with John Chen.
    03-31-14 07:58 PM
    I hope BlackBerry gets back on it's feet as soon as possible. It's tough to see good people "leave"
    milo53 likes this.
    03-31-14 08:14 PM
    What happened? Didn't he just get a major app development role?

Please tell me they finally got rid of Marty Mallick.....he's the worst!

Posted via CB10
    Windows got the major apps because their pockets are filled with cash. They keep throwing it in the air.

Partnership with Google would be good. They can depend on Google programmers to give them support to prop up their developer relations team.
    03-31-14 08:55 PM
119 1234 ...