What happened? Didn't he just get a major app development role?

Please tell me they finally got rid of Marty Mallick.....he's the worst!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 12:40 PM
    Yes, he appears to have been laid off or otherwise left BB. Many people are wishing him well on his twitter and he seems pretty upbeat considering.....

https://twitter.com/bzubert
    Last edited by pkcable; 03-31-14 at 09:43 PM.
    03-31-14 12:48 PM
    What did he do?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    03-31-14 12:48 PM
    What did he do?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    I *think* he took over Dev Relations a short while ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-31-14 12:49 PM
    He stated on his Twitter he was asked to leave.
    03-31-14 01:53 PM
    Is this the guy who took over for Alec Saunders?
    03-31-14 01:54 PM
    That was my understanding.

How has Marty Mallick stayed afloat!?

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-31-14 01:58 PM
    I don't think so. Dev Rel as put under Marty: QNX Software Systems launches new Cloud business | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-31-14 at 02:04 PM. Reason: restored lost quote
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-31-14 02:03 PM
    Wow, this came as a shock
    He was always so helpful over Twitter and really quick answering questions. I do like his optimism tho!

Looks like there was an in-house cleaning today
    This guy got the boot too
    https://mobile.twitter.com/robbieDubya
    Hope they both get back quickly on their feet!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 02:33 PM
    I don't think so. Dev Rel as put under Marty: QNX Software Systems launches new Cloud business | CrackBerry.com
    Ohhhh noooo

Marty is the worst!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 02:33 PM
    So... reduced emphasis on native apps from small developers? Is this the takeaway?
    03-31-14 02:36 PM
    So... reduced emphasis on native apps from small developers? Is this the takeaway?
    That's an interesting idea. Is BlackBerry going to push for BBOS 7 and BB10 development now since Chen announced a new production run of BBOS devices?
    03-31-14 02:48 PM
    Wow, this came as a shock
    He was always so helpful over Twitter and really quick answering questions. I do like his optimism tho!

Looks like there was an in-house cleaning today
    This guy got the boot too
    https://mobile.twitter.com/robbieDubya
    Hope they both get back quickly on their feet!
    Classy guys... someone will pick them up.
    03-31-14 02:48 PM
    Im not sure, im pretty disturbed that Marty Mallick still has a job at BlackBerry, especially after he was on stage in front of a wall of apps that many of which never even came close to coming.....or even fruit slash or whatever the app game is even being used as an app icon in the promo vid for bb10 launch. This guy sucks

Anyone thinking of sticking up for Mallick....
    PS Vita has a Netflix app.......let that sink in for a second.

Smh.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-31-14 02:49 PM
    Classy guys... someone will pick them up.
    To play devils advocate we really have no idea how good they were in their jobs at the office. But certainly from twitter they seem to be fantastic individuals indeed.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 02:52 PM
    Im not sure, im pretty disturbed that Marty Mallick still has a job at BlackBerry, especially after he was on stage in front of a wall of apps that many of which never even came close to coming.....or even fruit slash or whatever the app game is even being used as an app icon in the promo vid for bb10 launch. This guy sucks

Anyone thinking of sticking up for Mallick....
    PS Vita has a Netflix app.......let that sink in for a second.

Smh.

Posted via CB10
    I honestly don't think that issue is all Marty's fault. Yes, in retrospect, announcing apps that are not available was a major snafu, but I suspect that call might have come from higher up.

The Vita has Netflix because of Sony's licensing agreement across all of its devices. That isn't Marty's fault either (IMHO); BBRY simply doesn't have that negotiating power.
    03-31-14 03:17 PM
    Can't argue with this outlook. I hope not, but the unchanged runtime seems to support this.

That's an interesting idea. Is BlackBerry going to push for BBOS 7 and BB10 development now since Chen announced a new production run of BBOS devices?
    Good question.
    03-31-14 03:20 PM
    I honestly don't think that issue is all Marty's fault. Yes, in retrospect, announcing apps that are not available was a major snafu, but I suspect that call might have come from higher up.

The Vita has Netflix because of Sony's licensing agreement across all of its devices. That isn't Marty's fault either (IMHO); BBRY simply doesn't have that negotiating power.
    Marty was responsible for bringing big name apps like Instagram, Netflix, Vine, etc. He didn't. The ones he was able to bring were either Android ports or were released and never again updated (like TuneIn Radio). You say BB doesn't have the negotiating power... really? At that time, BlackBerry had 80 million subscribers who may have upgraded.
    03-31-14 03:32 PM
    Hey folks, I'm humbled to see my name floating around the forums.

To answer the original poster, yes, today was my last day at BlackBerry. I was laid off this morning as part of the ongoing reductions that you've been hearing about. Long story short, a couple of teams were merging which created some redundancies.

I won't get into the gory details, but I did want to let everyone know that I'm doing ok and it's in large part due to the wonderful support I've received throughout the day. Team BlackBerry has been out in full force, and for that, I'm forever thankful. You guys rock and it's this wonderful community that has kept me motivated and driven these past 9 years.

Sincerely,
    Brian Zubert
    03-31-14 03:35 PM
    Marty was responsible for bringing big name apps like Instagram, Netflix, Vine, etc. He didn't. The ones he was able to bring were either Android ports or were released and never again updated (like TuneIn Radio). You say BB doesn't have the negotiating power... really? At that time, BlackBerry had 80 million subscribers who may have upgraded.
    But they had "0" on the platform they were looking to get the apps to, and many believed it wouldn't be worth their time. BB even offered to make the damned apps but they still got refused. Since the uptake of users on BB10 hasn't hit expectations, it might be a while yet until we see the big apps willing to commit any resources to building one.
    03-31-14 03:35 PM

Marty Mallick hasn't in anyway EVER shown me he is competent or has the ability to execute, which is John Chens number one thing he talks about.

Honestly though standing up on stage and 70% of the apps YOU PROMISED never came, thats like false advertisement bad, the guy should have been canned after 5-10 of those apps shown never came. Its the biggest embarrassment BlackBerry has ever had imo. That picture will live on in infamy.

Anyone wants to see a stage performance that should have gotten him canned last year enjoy (start at 50min in)

Posted via CB10
    PowderJockey likes this.
    03-31-14 03:50 PM
    App ransoms. Getting the apps wasn't a matter if subscribers... IMHO, it was a matter of raw cash.

Those big name developers knew BBRY needed them WAY more than they need it. I believe BBRY tried, but at some point, it had to say no.
    03-31-14 03:50 PM

To answer the original poster, yes, today was my last day at BlackBerry. I was laid off this morning as part of the ongoing reductions that you've been hearing about. Long story short, a couple of teams were merging which created some redundancies.

I won't get into the gory details, but I did want to let everyone know that I'm doing ok and it's in large part due to the wonderful support I've received throughout the day. Team BlackBerry has been out in full force, and for that, I'm forever thankful. You guys rock and it's this wonderful community that has kept me motivated and driven these past 9 years.

Sincerely,
    Brian Zubert
    Best wishes. If your Twitter feed and this post are any indication, you'll be fine.
    maddie1128 and Toodeurep like this.
    03-31-14 03:56 PM

Sincerely,
    Brian Zubert
    Hey Brian, thanks for the insight, and you dedication over the last decade.

You know, maybe not your forte(probably about 1/100th of the pay), but CrackBerry could use a guy like you, perhaps you could be a part of the community in another way? Introducing the Mobile Nations Newsroom | CrackBerry.com

I
    03-31-14 03:59 PM
    9 years of dedication only to get squeezed out the door. Sucks but I hope he lands back on his feet. California is calling.
    milo53 and Toodeurep like this.
    03-31-14 04:18 PM
119 123 ...