The whole phone / computer industry depends on obsolescence to survive. If what you have works, keep using it till it don't.

Also, it is best to just ignore the 'follow the crowd, essential to be amongst the majority, gotta have the latest, can't form my own opinion so I'm gonna pounce on the OP' crowd here.

Having said that, the Brexit analogy was a bit of a reach as I also wasn't sure of the connection.

Posted from part of the 0.2%.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-16 09:54 PM
    To give some clarification to my opening post, I am speaking from an emotional point of view. No political correlation intended. No percentages nor numbers nor countries. I do believe there is an underlying "Brexit" attitude that is tired of not getting what we as consumers want. I know you think I'm a little bit crazy, but that's all right. I look at how Apple used to present new iPads, iMacs, iPhones, iTouchs, AppleTV, etc. every couple a years. A new feature showed up. Every couple of years, old features were discontinued. What, no CD player? What, I gotta buy different chargers? I know it is my choice what I buy and don't buy. I get it. Sometimes I still feel like I'm getting hosed.

I believe there are lots of people (remember the polls in GB were incorrect and did not represent to actual sentiment of the people) who would jump at a new and fresh cell phone. I believe the customers are usually right. We will eventually drive the market place back to where there is more competition and the "players" will actually listen to us.

My point is not nearly as deep as some of you are. I'm much more simple.
    The problem is 97% of "customers" are happy with the Android or iOS choice.... the we (Windows, Sailfish, FireFox, Tizen, BB10 users) you are talking about, amount to 3%. No one is listening to a group that size.

I do belive that a new and fresh cell phone might succeed... if it had great quality hardware at a terrific price, if it was marketed and if it had the ecosystem that people today demand. Problem today is it takes time to build an ecosystem and the gain support for it from 3rd party developers and other companies.

The chances of BlackBerry doing all of the above.... 0%. The company is finically incapable of doing what you want.
    06-29-16 07:46 AM
    "Brexit" resulted in the pound and the euro dropping... so no more complaints from European customers about paying too much, right?
    06-29-16 04:08 PM
    It might be true that a lot of people are tired of iOS vs Android, but I don't think any new platform can succeed without apps, and that means getting every local bank, kindergarten, bus company etc to build an app for that platform.

The platform most likely to succeed right now seems to be Windows Phone, if they can convince developers to use Xamarin (which is awesome) for building iOS and Android apps. That way developers can add a Windows phone app with very little effort (and desktop Windows/Mac, tvOS/AndroidTV/Xbox, watchOS/Android Wear).

I'd love for BB10 to support Xamarin, so it could piggyback on Microsoft's efforts to promote this technology.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-30-16 10:23 AM
    We should all turn Japanese and go back to flip / feature phones.

I'm turning Japanese.
    07-01-16 01:36 PM
    Japan is the country with the highest proportion of Iphones, more than US.
    Flip phones are used for business, certainly in telecom business, where they care about security and confidentiality.
    07-01-16 05:03 PM
31 12