08-20-11 05:00 PM
63 123
tools
    it seems like many posters here are taking a parting shot at HP/webos

i personally never used any web OS devices...

but im currently writing this post on my HP laptop from work..i will complete 3 years with it and im due to upgrade by jan 1st 2012...with my previous HP, i did upgrade after 3 years as the unit became unuseable with its loss of speed and power...

however with this one, HP elitebook 6930p, it has been excellent..thank god never had problems except for once the battery cover becoming loose so i had it replaced..and ofcourse the battery got weaker as time went by so i replaced it with a new one after 1.5 years..

because this unit im using has been very reliable, i will keep on using it for as long as possible..its been good so far...and i dont carry it much any longer between work and home as the playbook does most of the weekday work i need to do from home..
    however, as i said, my older unit of HP had problems..i also have a HP printer and it has not been working too well...

like most devices, you will get bad units and good units...i dont think any manufacurer can boast they have every unit out of their conveyor belot working to perfection...look at Toyota for example with their JIT system and see how many recalls they have had in recent years...

im indifferent to HP products...it seems so many people want RIM/playbook to fold but they are really dissapointed because its not RIM...
    i totally believe RIM and its products including the playbook will make a powerful comeback and their results will show by end of this year with the sales of OS 7 and healtheir sales for the PB..i just really hope they dont sell to another larger company...RIM is just special and has its unique identity which i love and i love it being the underdog against the larger corporations..
    08-19-11 06:40 AM
    And some people were saying that the Playbook should have been released after BB7 devices?...look what happened to the Touchpad...

I've used the Touchpad for like 20 seconds in futures shop and it is OK...the UI takes some getting used to though. It's good, and of course it could have been great, it just didn't get the chance (cause it probably wasn't work the investment)
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 08-19-11 at 07:15 AM.
    08-19-11 06:53 AM
    It would be nice (but extremely unlikely) if RIM bought the WebOS IP and team off HP. WebOS had an amazing UI, lots of thought put into UI/UX, a passionate team, and a cool HTML5/C++-based platform. It would have made a good fit for RIM given their holes in the UI/UX department and interest in WebWorks.
    I believe RIM acquired TAT to plug those holes those. Might be redundant (again) to have another group of UI people.
    08-19-11 09:44 AM
    I believe RIM acquired TAT to plug those holes those. Might be redundant (again) to have another group of UI people.
    That depends.

I think if TAT's focus was on App UI, and RIM tools UI, and the WebOS team was incharge of OS UI with joint collaboration it could work, without over stretching any single group for the MANY projects RIM has going.

I'm not saying I think RIM needs the WebOS guys, but I can see how I would fit them into the company
    08-19-11 09:50 AM
    Lol my hp latop still runs 100%, sorry but imma get a macbook soon apple has legit customer service too. But I will never give up on my blackberry <3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 11:39 AM
    The funny thing about this tread is the people here that say RIM is next are the same ***** that said RIM is going down due to webos. This is Nothing but golden for RIM!! and now there was 4. Bring it, RIM and QNX have the eco system and critical mass to succeed.
    Did somebody really say that? I don't recall it, but it would be nice to see it.
    08-19-11 08:29 PM
    Maybe HP gave it up and are now looking to buy someone out?

hmm?

Who knows...

Tim
    08-19-11 09:30 PM
    That depends.

I think if TAT's focus was on App UI, and RIM tools UI...
    Actually, I think TAT was purchased primarily for the markup language and toolkit that allows them to speedily develop their fancy UIs. Tiny Hippos was purchased for the tooling, but that's not been realized yet. I suggested a tieup between RIM and the WebOS team for 1) their UI/UX designers, and 2) the potential in their HTML5 tooling including Enyo, etc.
    Last edited by allengeorge; 08-20-11 at 03:18 AM.
    08-20-11 03:16 AM
    I think RIM already copied what they wanted out of webOS..so I'm not sure what they'd really need their UI people now for
    08-20-11 07:04 AM
    Seems to be a lot of consolidation going on in this sector, after Google bought Motorola Mobile, and now this news. I could really see Microsoft trying to purchase RIM in order to try and go toe to toe with Android and iOS.
    08-20-11 07:46 AM
    RIM would have to be bought soon. With every drop in marketshare, the value of the brand diminshes.
    MSFT would probably buy Nokia for it's broader patent portfolio

Seems to be a lot of consolidation going on in this sector, after Google bought Motorola Mobile, and now this news. I could really see Microsoft trying to purchase RIM in order to try and go toe to toe with Android and iOS.
    08-20-11 12:02 PM
    There's no value in MS purchasing RIM - it would be far better off with Nokia, which is solidly committed now to Windows Phone. And I suspect that they won't have to pull the trigger on that any time soon - with Stephen Elop at the head, it's almost like having an MS VP in charge at Espoo

In the past I would have advocated for RIM to tie up with Amazon, and deeply integrate Amazon's music store, video service and store into their products, but it looks like that boat has sailed. I think the best RIM could hope for now is to deeply integrate into Microsoft's services where possible, including Zune, SkyDrive, BPOS, etc. in order to fashion something of an ecosystem. Unfortunately, the rumors of the BB music service indicate that they're simply trying to roll their own ecosystem, which is...tough.
    08-20-11 02:39 PM
    Old saying in aviaton:

"The planes wings are covered with the bodies of pioneers."

Man, HP trolled Palm hard...that's gotta suck.
    08-20-11 05:00 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD