I never thought WebOS would last long, it seems like HP never really put much effort into developing it into good platform. Hopefully RIM can pull in all those WebOS users
    Personally I always though the hardware on the Palm Pre and then HP phones was just kind of strange. Great OS. But I mean the "Veer"? Odd device.
    08-18-11 03:49 PM
    I never thought WebOS would last long, it seems like HP never really put much effort into developing it into good platform. Hopefully RIM can pull in all those WebOS users
    lol...if there were any significant amount of users they wouldn't stop making devices.
    08-18-11 04:05 PM
    Wait... I'm confused. Does this mean that everyone with an HP phone (like the Palm Pre, HP Touchpad, etc) will have their phone just stop working at some point?

Or is it like HP gives them a message saying you have X amount of days to go get a new phone because this one is going to stop working in X amount of days?

I have to say, I never liked those little keyboards, but the Palm WebOS was actually kinda cool. And I've only heard good reviews about the HP Touchpad (though everyone also said that it just wasn't as good as the Playbook, HIGH-END android tablets, and of course, the iPad...
    08-18-11 04:15 PM
    Wait... I'm confused. Does this mean that everyone with an HP phone (like the Palm Pre, HP Touchpad, etc) will have their phone just stop working at some point?

Or is it like HP gives them a message saying you have X amount of days to go get a new phone because this one is going to stop working in X amount of days?

I have to say, I never liked those little keyboards, but the Palm WebOS was actually kinda cool. And I've only heard good reviews about the HP Touchpad (though everyone also said that it just wasn't as good as the Playbook, HIGH-END android tablets, and of course, the iPad...
    no, everything will continue to work for the most part, just the operating system isn't really being supported by HP any more (again, mostly). Sucks for anyone that recently bought a webOS device but thems the breaks. Touchpads have basically just become internet machines, phones will remain what they are, unless HP pulls the plug on anything working out of their end.
    Last edited by dooodads; 08-18-11 at 04:22 PM.
    08-18-11 04:20 PM
    Wow this is surprisngly
    I like WebOS it is a slick OS
    I was going to buy the TouchPad but Thank GOd i didnt
    What a WASTE of $1.2billion
    08-18-11 04:22 PM
    no, everything will continue to work for the most part, just the operating system isn't really being supported by HP any more (again, mostly). Sucks for anyone that recently bought a webOS device but thems the breaks.

Oh ok. So basically they are just going to stop producing new devices, but if you already have an HP device you can still use your OS... just some HP stuff will be disabled and you can't get it fixed if it breaks.
    08-18-11 04:23 PM
    HP has some VERY stupid people on the board, look at the CEO they lost over 20k of expense dependencies !
    Hurd was not fired over a small matter of expense irregularities. There were serious allegations of misconduct.

Also, the mess HP is in now is directly related to his tenure. He was great at cutting expenses, but did little to position the company for the future.
    08-18-11 05:03 PM
    HP just threw in the towel after years of making commodity boxes. Now who wants to make commodity tablets? Welcome to the Post PC Era.
    08-18-11 05:22 PM
    Oh yeah, sucks for the consumer too....and really sucks for retailers......

WTF HP

Ya know what, ********* moves like this that break customer loyalty, just broke my customer loyalty - I am never buying HP, EVER.

Not even their printers. In fact, I am no longer buying ink cartridges.

.............anybody know a good printer?
    LOL, I just threw my hp printer away and bought a Canon. Good timing
    08-18-11 05:39 PM
    My guess is that HP is selling off a healthy dose of IP. The question that remains to be seen is... to who.
    08-18-11 06:36 PM
    I had an HP pc... Motherboard died just over 1 yr after purchase. Come to find out the MB's were defective and they scrapped the design for a new one. BUT.. the best part is that even though they were defective... they said that they would NOT help me because it was out of warranty!!!!!!!!

now.. My NOOK just died... 3 month out of warranty.. but since it was a known defect they have replaced it for free. Guess who keeps my business? yeah.

HP will NEVER get another penny of mine
    I had the same problem with my HP PC a year and a half ago -- the motherboard died just a couple of months after I had upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. Happily, though, I was still a couple of months within the one year warranty, so they swapped out the motherboard. Since then, no probs . . . knock on wood. At least I know my next PC, whenever that will be, won't be an HP.
    08-18-11 06:37 PM
    It would be nice (but extremely unlikely) if RIM bought the WebOS IP and team off HP. WebOS had an amazing UI, lots of thought put into UI/UX, a passionate team, and a cool HTML5/C++-based platform. It would have made a good fit for RIM given their holes in the UI/UX department and interest in WebWorks.
    willie44 likes this.
    08-18-11 07:33 PM
    Does this mean that Crackberry is gonna kill out their HP/WebOS sub-forum now? Or just "stop supporting it"
    08-18-11 08:51 PM
    I guess Pac man - with all his charm, and charisma - couldn't lure folks to web OS ... :P(for the pac man bit)
    08-18-11 08:53 PM
    Competition is always good but now the only competing OS's are iOS, Android and WP7. It's a shame to see WebOS bite the dust.
    08-18-11 09:47 PM
    It would be nice (but extremely unlikely) if RIM bought the WebOS IP and team off HP. WebOS had an amazing UI, lots of thought put into UI/UX, a passionate team, and a cool HTML5/C++-based platform. It would have made a good fit for RIM given their holes in the UI/UX department and interest in WebWorks.
    anyone think hp is giving up on web os to make room for a rim acquisition? out of all talk of rim being bought out, hp sounds like the most fitting and logical...
    08-18-11 10:25 PM
    The funny thing about this tread is the people here that say RIM is next are the same ***** that said RIM is going down due to webos. This is Nothing but golden for RIM!! and now there was 4. Bring it, RIM and QNX have the eco system and critical mass to succeed.
    Jake Storm and daveycrocket like this.
    08-18-11 10:32 PM
    The funny thing about this tread is the people here that say RIM is next are the same ***** that said RIM is going down due to webos. This is Nothing but golden for RIM!! and now there was 4. Bring it, RIM and QNX have the eco system and critical mass to succeed.
    Agreed.
    All those who think that RIM is going to get bought out (by anyone) have no clue
    08-18-11 10:44 PM
    Competition is always good but now the only competing OS's are iOS, Android and WP7. It's a shame to see WebOS bite the dust.
    If there's one thing I'm learning, it's timing. Jump the gun too early, or too late, you'll be left in the dust, no matter what... Once the opportunity is there, go for it.
    08-18-11 11:19 PM
    Hate to see WebOS go. It was a fantastic platform.
    08-18-11 11:44 PM
    How many remember this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/web-os-...-storm-132581/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 12:38 AM
    RIM and blackberry will be the next to go. There won't be room for more than three platforms in the future, and that would be iOS, Android and WP7.

Of the remaining platforms, Blackberry has no real ecosystem, and the numbers and marketshare is dropping fast. (And will keep dropping. Many of the current users that make up RIMs remaining market share are corporate folks, who got a Blackberry from work two years ago. With iPhones and Android increasingly moving into the workplace, those outdated handsets are less likely tonbe Blackberries.)

So RIM will either slowly wither and die, or more likely, be taken over. A buyer would be likely to dump the superfluous assets like the factories and BBOS, and spin off the assets that still have some value out in the market like QNX and TAT.

The blackberry brand would be interesting to buy for one of the Chinese Android manufacturers, who could stamp their phones with it, and the only valuable part of RIM that would be left, would be the enterprise part. Combined with RIMs patents, and provided they can make a BES that can work with iOS and Android, Blackberry and RIM might be able to live on as an enterprise mail/infrastructure provider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 02:26 AM
    No mention of os7 or qnx?
    08-19-11 05:02 AM
    That was a very deliberate post, with the intention of someone asking the question as you did.

The Poster is openly negative on RIM and doesn't believe they have a future
    08-19-11 05:39 AM
    That was a very deliberate post, with the intention of someone asking the question as you did.

The Poster is openly negative on RIM and doesn't believe they have a future
    Not necessarily. All's one has to do is read some tech articles to see that RIM and BBOS is very rarely mentioned as a "competing OS".

I know, I know..the tech world is biased as well..but them's the facts. BBOS has fallen out of the mainstream and is usually only mentioned as an afterthought.
    08-19-11 06:23 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD