WebOS is being taken off the ventilatory life support it received from HP. WebOS rest in peace..it was Good knowing you. RIP webOS..RIP Palm

HP FYQ3 EPS Misses; Forecast Misses By A Mile; Dumping TouchPad; Exploring Spin Of PC Group - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/18/h...webos-devices/
    Last edited by sf49ers; 08-18-11 at 02:33 PM.
    08-18-11 02:25 PM
    Man, thats gotta suck.

And to discontinue on their phones too.

It would be like if RIM said right now they were going to discontinue BB7 and their phones, but didn't have QNX waiting in wings.

Funny fact though, I was not aware that HP was valued at nearly double what Dell is valued at - well, at least they have the ability to do this and not die.....quickly........
    08-18-11 02:45 PM
    Wow 2 threads on this already.

Just kidding they were both entered at the same time. That is actually quite amazing.

And this is why I will never buy an HP product expect for their printers. I had great luck with their printers but they seem to not want to support their computers and such long term.

My Home Server got dropped but still works. Great little unit too.

And btw home much did they pay for a product that they are going to scrap. I know of companies that buy competition just to close it but this is ridiculous.
    08-18-11 02:49 PM
    They aren't killing WebOS, just devices. But that does essentially kill the OS because no one will want to license it and no devs will get on board, so yeah it's dead.

Also this is an important lesson, doesn't matter how seemingly successful a company is, in this day and age if consumers don't gravitate towards your product en masse then you're done. They're also unloading their PC business. Bad day for HP.

I wonder which one is next. I'm gonna go with WP7 as the long shot with RIM pushing to be next
    08-18-11 02:52 PM
    Oh yeah, sucks for the consumer too....and really sucks for retailers......

WTF HP

Ya know what, ********* moves like this that break customer loyalty, just broke my customer loyalty - I am never buying HP, EVER.

Not even their printers. In fact, I am no longer buying ink cartridges.

.............anybody know a good printer?
    08-18-11 02:53 PM
    Wow. I know it wasn't flying off the shelves, but to kill it just like that is shocking.

I was just playing with a Touchpad yesterday too. My sister wants a 10" tablet and the Touchpad was one of the 3 I recommended. I told her its biggest issue is support for the OS. How ironic.
    08-18-11 02:53 PM
    I had an HP pc... Motherboard died just over 1 yr after purchase. Come to find out the MB's were defective and they scrapped the design for a new one. BUT.. the best part is that even though they were defective... they said that they would NOT help me because it was out of warranty!!!!!!!!

now.. My NOOK just died... 3 month out of warranty.. but since it was a known defect they have replaced it for free. Guess who keeps my business? yeah.

HP will NEVER get another penny of mine
    08-18-11 02:55 PM
    I had an HP pc... Motherboard died just over 1 yr after purchase. Come to find out the MB's were defective and they scrapped the design for a new one. BUT.. the best part is that even though they were defective... they said that they would NOT help me because it was out of warranty!!!!!!!!

now.. My NOOK just died... 3 month out of warranty.. but since it was a known defect they have replaced it for free. Guess who keeps my business? yeah.

they won't be making computers any more anyway lol, they announced today they are done with hardware.
    08-18-11 03:01 PM
    Man, HP trolled Palm hard...that's gotta suck.
    08-18-11 03:02 PM
    Oh yeah, sucks for the consumer too....and really sucks for retailers......

WTF HP

Ya know what, ********* moves like this that break customer loyalty, just broke my customer loyalty - I am never buying HP, EVER.

Not even their printers. In fact, I am no longer buying ink cartridges.

.............anybody know a good printer?
    Epson makes great printers and scanners
    08-18-11 03:03 PM
    Wow that's terrible. WebOS is really cool. Too bad it wasn't able to succeed.
    08-18-11 03:05 PM
    RIM will be next on the list.

And the funniest part is I'm laughing like **** for people who paid $500 for the tablet hahahahha
    08-18-11 03:09 PM

My Sony laptop mother board died 1 years OVER warranty. They paid shipping both ways and replaced the mother board.

The ONLY thing wrong with that computer now is it has 512mb RAM and only upgradeable to 1gb so it isn't worth it to me on a 5-6 year old computer.

My wife's HP laptop is probably 3 years old and I just replaced it because of the health of the damn thing is worse than my Sony.
    08-18-11 03:11 PM
    they won't be making computers any more anyway lol, they announced today they are done with hardware.
    What else do they do if they wont make hardware either?

Or are you talking about consumer computer hardware?
    08-18-11 03:12 PM

And the funniest part is I'm laughing like **** for people who paid $500 for the tablet hahahahha
    Yea funny stuff............
    08-18-11 03:13 PM

If that is the case who would buy their patents and software. They are worth some major money.
    08-18-11 03:13 PM
    What else do they do if they wont make hardware either?

Or are you talking about consumer computer hardware?
    I think the only hardware they'll continue making is printers. Most of their business will move toward cloud and software services. But yeah they are done with computers as well.
    08-18-11 03:15 PM
    HP will 'discontinue operations for webOS devices', may spin off Personal Systems Group
    By Richard Lawler posted Aug 18th 2011 3:22PM
    Breaking News

And just like that, Palm's baby was abandoned. Among the "other announcements" in today's press release about the potential spinoff of its entire Personal Systems group (PCs, mobile devices, storage) is a note that the webOS ecosystem HP snagged for $1.2 billion a year ago is already being ditched.
    "In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward."
    Among slightly lowered estimates for its 2011 revenue, HP confirms it's in talks with Autonomy Corporation plc about a "possible offer" for the company. A separation of HP the services company and HP the hardware manufacturer apparently leaves no room in the lifeboat for the Pre and TouchPad family of devices, but what happens next? We're sure there will be more pointed questions about what "optimizing the value of webOS software going forward" -- we vote for a quickie sale to one of Google's disgruntled hardware partners or better yet, opening it up for some community hackery -- means on the conference call scheduled for 5 p.m. Eastern.
    Abandoning webos a year after purchasing it for 1.2 billion? Waste of a billion dollars eh?
    08-18-11 03:18 PM
    RIP webOS you will be missed
    08-18-11 03:21 PM
    Abandoning webos a year after purchasing it for 1.2 billion? Waste of a billion dollars eh?

HP has some VERY stupid people on the board, look at the CEO they lost over 20k of expense dependencies !
    08-18-11 03:32 PM
    I think the only hardware they'll continue making is printers. Most of their business will move toward cloud and software services. But yeah they are done with computers as well.
    HP is huge in the enterprise market. 95% of our datacenter runs off HP servers and storage. They also have a big services and consulting division. I'm assuming with the killing of webOS and spinning off of remaining consumer products they're going to follow the IBM model.
    08-18-11 03:40 PM
    I never thought WebOS would last long, it seems like HP never really put much effort into developing it into good platform. Hopefully RIM can pull in all those WebOS users
    08-18-11 03:40 PM
    If that is the case who would buy their patents and software. They are worth some major money.
    Dell might be dumb enough err ambitious enough. They had the streak and others not too long ago.
    08-18-11 03:42 PM
    Who will make the clouds?

There are servers in them clouds.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    08-18-11 03:43 PM

Not really necessary. Thanks.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    08-18-11 03:47 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD