I've spent a LOT of time finding stuff out the hard way here so let me share...

Trackballs on the following models all use the same trackball:

Curve: 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330
    Pearl: 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130
    8800 Series: 8800, 8820, 8830

With normal use they will get not just dirty but tons of lint etc inside on the rollers, especially if it's kept in your pocket often. This makes it intermittently malfunction (slip) and no amount of "rubbing it with a microfiber cloth soaked in alcohol" as they recommend will make a dent.

Cleaning it by taking it apart is a massive undertaking even for someone with video tutorials and surgical equipment and skills, literally. And can actually end up making it work no better, or even worse, since it's just wearing down.

Replacement is a thirty-second process. Just pop off the ring with your fingernail or something (at 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock position -- not 6 o'clock because there's a small tab there), pop it out, pop the new one in (making sure the long metal tab on the bottom faces the keys), and pop the ring back on (making sure tabs face the keys and to the sides).

Bingo! Done!

HOWEVER... I have purchased well over a dozen replacement trackballs online, and man I can tell you from my own experience (and from reading reviews from others) that buying a replacement "so-called OEM" trackball from various places including Shop.CrackBerry.com is a "risk" at best. My experience was terrible, and others posted the same thing: each of the three "white" ones I bought from Shop.CrackBerry.com were very varied in shades of color and exhibited various degrees of slippage from 20% functional, to 60% functional, to 90% functional right off the bat.

So, I went to BlackberryTrackballs.com. I called them first. They were very happy to talk to me about what they know will be dependable and what might be a risk ("Don't get the colored ones; we get some reports that they sometimes slip"). When they told me their white ones are definitely from the same factory that makes them for RIM but that most competitors buy theirs from third-party manufactures, I just felt I was talking to people with integrity who I could trust.

When the units came, all three looked identical (reassuring after my prior experiences). So far, the first one I put in has been working perfectly for a week now (and I'm sure the two others will as well). The cost is about the same as elsewhere, but the performance is like night and day.

It seems another option is just going to the VZW (or Sprint etc) store for a free replacement, since it seems some will provide them for free. It seems it depends on whether they have them in stock (and I suppose possibly risks being given one out of a used device that was returned or defective).

If you have a new Tour with trackball issues, it's a "known issue" and you just have to go to VZW (or Sprint etc) and get a new phone. VZW uses a green dot on the barcode label to designate it's one of the fixed units. (The Tour may still have issues with call quality, but that's another matter altogether.) If it's over 30 days and they argue, just don't take any crap. Tell them you know it was a manufacturing defect and you know they know it and that you know it's been fixed and you want a new one and you want it now, period. (With at least VZW, you want "BlackBerry" tech support, not normal tech support, since they may not know about it. I don't know about Sprint etc.)

I have no experience with the Tour trackball getting dirty, but if it can get lint build-up in the rollers like the others do, that could become a real problem in a short time since it’s apparently not at all easy to replace it or clean it (seems to require real disassembly of the device). If they didn’t manage to design it so it’s much less prone to building up lint, I’d make a point of keeping it out of places like your pocket where it’s likely to build up lint (using a holster would sure do it – available from Verizon, Seidio, here, etc).
    Last edited by classact; 09-04-09 at 06:55 PM.
    09-02-09 07:07 AM
    I bought a black trackball for my Bold last week from Dealsishop.com I recommend also buying from them, fast delivery and very good product, I bought a couple other things from there...
    09-02-09 08:15 AM
    Thanks. Very informative.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 09:51 AM
    I will never read another thread on trackball issues again. I swear to you, that no more than a minute after I read this thread, I go to use my BB and the trackball feels really weird trying to scroll down. No clicks at all, just a smooth roll almost like it wasnt moving at all (but it was) and it wouldnt scroll down on the screen. I popped it out used some compressed air and worked the ball back and forth and luckily it decided to start working good as new again.
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 09-02-09 at 11:49 AM.
    09-02-09 11:42 AM
    I will never read another thread on trackball issues again. I swear to you, that no more than a minute after I read this thread, I go to use my BB and the trackfall feels really weird trying to scroll down. No clicks at all, just a smooth roll almost like it wasnt moving at all (but it was) and it wouldnt scroll down on the screen. I popped it out used some compressed air and worked the ball back and forth and luckily it decided to start working good as new again.
    lol @ a trackball jinx. Someday there will be no more trackballs in the world and we'll all have touchpads, that will get dirty and stop working.
    09-02-09 11:45 AM
    My BB 8310 just started acting weird today...the trackball has to be pushed hard to get it to open email or texts...is this due to it being dirty or needing to be replaced??
    09-02-09 12:04 PM
    OP---very good post.
    09-02-09 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD