RIM engineer has now confirmed that there is a known problem with the BOLD not working with certain router setup ups. Too early to specifics though.

Please post Bold version and router brand and model and what doesn't work.

I'll start -
    Bold with v4.6.0.167 - Connects but Wifi icon is gray. Only using WEP on Netgear G wireless router does not work. Works open and WPA2

Also works fine with Westell wireless router open, WEP, and WPA2
    11-23-08 07:03 PM
    Device: AT&T Branded 9000 Bold w/ tested with both .162 & .185
    Routers: Apple Extreme Base Station & Verizon Actiontec
    Encryption tested: WEP, WPA, WPA2, & None.

What I CAN do: My Bold CAN connect the the wireless routers, I CAN pull a valip IP address.

What I CAN'T do: The WiFi icon remains grayed out, I cannot use the WiFi connection (tested both Media Net and Hotspot browsers).

sull
    11-23-08 07:29 PM
    Device: Airtel 9000 Bold with Package Version: 4.6.0.243
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.6.0.126

Router: Netgear wifi DG834Gv3 , mac filtering disabled, mac address of BB added.
    Encryption : WEP/ and no security

My Bold can see the wifi network, but does not connect- says" failure to get IP address"
    I had tried upgrading to .185 and then too no luck- error" unable to associate with network". So I downgraded my device OS again.

The WiFi icon remains gray but the wifi name appears next to my carrier name on the home screen as it has been saved as a profile.
    11-24-08 09:17 AM
    Telcel Bold from Mexico
    2Wire 1800HW
    Gray WiFi Icon

Have tried several configurations and nothing works

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:48 AM
    Phone: ATT Blackberry Bold 9000 w/ .185
    Router: Netgear WGR614
    Encryption: WEP

Works fine. I havn't discovered any problems, but I will let you guys know if I notice anything wrong
    11-24-08 09:53 AM
    Shady -

Could you also add to your device details...

Do you have a AT&T BlackBerry Data Plan?

Thanks
    11-24-08 10:11 AM
    Mine is experiencing the same problem.

OS Version. 4.6.0.185 and I also tried on 4.6.0.190 and 4.6.0.162.
    Router: DLink DI-614+
    Data Plan: Rogers 6GB

Issue: The bold connects and gets a IP address however the wifi doen't want to work even after setting the browser as hotspot browser.

I verfied that everything else connected properly by going into Wifi Diagnostics.

I hope they fix this issue with the bold in a future firmware. I'd hate to have to update my router as well.

I tried connecting on to different Bold's and they both run into the same issue. I am 90% sure it is my router. Still havent gotten aroudn to checking on another router yet.
    Last edited by myt_mouse; 11-24-08 at 01:13 PM.
    11-24-08 10:27 AM
    myt mouse -

Do you have an AT&T BB Data plan?
    11-24-08 10:32 AM
    myt mouse -

Do you have an AT&T BB Data plan?
    No, I have the Rogers 6Gb data plan. I have added this to my post above.
    11-24-08 01:10 PM
    Device: Rogers 9000 Bold w/ .185 (TIM Italy)
    Routers: D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G
    Encryption tested: None (Open)

WiFi work s fine but every time I come into range of my router and come off the 3G network, my BOLD reboots and clocks for several minutes. Once it comes back online both WiFi and 3G are connected and working fine.

11-24-08 10:46 PM
    Oh! I should have also pointed out that the Rogers official .162 version I was using before my .185 upgrade did not have this same problem.

11-24-08 10:54 PM
    ironically the only feature of the bold that has worked flawlessly for me has been the wifi, got it connected in less then 30 seconds the first time. Now whenever i come home, i just activate wifi (supposedly the battery drains faster with it on) and it recognizes my home network automatically and works perfect. Only wish I could put skype on it so i could make free wi-voip calls when i'm at home and within the cell signal blackhole that my house is.
    11-24-08 10:59 PM
    Bold 4.6.0.167 (App Version)
    Platform 4.0.0.157
    AT&T

I bought that Blackberry Bold last week (which I love) but I am having a lot of signal problems with it. Since last week, I went to the store twice and have gotten 3 new bolds and 3 sim cards. My problem is that sometimes when I call, I get "Call Failed". The other issue is about 10 times a day or so I get a "SOS". They already exchanged my phone twice and sim card. I just received another new Bold and Sim card yesterday but it just happened again right now. Does any know what the problem could be? The only way for me to get signal again is to turn my phone off and on. I am also running "AIM" on there.
    11-25-08 11:55 AM
    Bold: AT&T Branded w/ .190 and Unlimited Data Plan, BIS
    Home: Linksys (Landlord's, dunno model), WPA2
    Work: Linksys WRT150N, WPA2

No connection issues. Connects fine, quickly and lets me browse at will. Worked with .167 as well.

Michael
    11-25-08 01:31 PM
    When I ran my wifi diagnostics everything seems to connect fine but what is listed below:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used: //rcp.na.blackberry.com:443
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:

Anybody have any idea what could be the problem?
    11-25-08 07:45 PM
    Hi there.. I'm resurrecting this thread and I hope it's not too dead. I consider myself somewhat of a savvy Googler but I am a bonafide crackberry n00b.

My BB is a Bold 9000, Rogers carrier, using v4.6.0.190 software.

My router is a D-Link DL-614+.

My network shows up fine but I cannot access wifi (icon stays grey).

The Bold would also not connect to a hotel's wifi, which I tested Monday night while away on business.

Things I have tried:
    - battery pull (twice)
    - router reset
    - router power cycle
    - changing the broadcasting channel of the router so it isn't on channel 6 like my neighbour's

my network is open, ie. no security. My wife's laptop works fine and has for years.

Hoping for a solution or at least to hear from people with similar problems.

I have been on the phone with Rogers more than once. They are nice but when it comes down to it I am not confident that they have the knowledge on this model to know exactly what the problem is.

help!
    12-10-08 08:11 PM
    Hi there.. I'm resurrecting this thread and I hope it's not too dead. I consider myself somewhat of a savvy Googler but I am a bonafide crackberry n00b.

My BB is a Bold 9000, Rogers carrier, using v4.6.0.190 software.

My router is a D-Link DL-614+.

My network shows up fine but I cannot access wifi (icon stays grey).

The Bold would also not connect to a hotel's wifi, which I tested Monday night while away on business.

Things I have tried:
    - battery pull (twice)
    - router reset
    - router power cycle
    - changing the broadcasting channel of the router so it isn't on channel 6 like my neighbour's

my network is open, ie. no security. My wife's laptop works fine and has for years.

Hoping for a solution or at least to hear from people with similar problems.

I have been on the phone with Rogers more than once. They are nice but when it comes down to it I am not confident that they have the knowledge on this model to know exactly what the problem is.

help!
    I have that same router and have the exact same problem. The only solution is to replace that router. I bought a linksys and everything works perfectly now.

You could try other models as well but I didn't want to bother.
    Last edited by myt_mouse; 12-10-08 at 08:38 PM.
    12-10-08 08:15 PM
    dang, i knew i'd have to replace this old beast soon.

still, i couldn't connect at the hotel either. i suppose they MIGHT have also had a D-Link

boo-urns :/

i can haz home wifi plz

i notice you're on .185. i wonder if i should downgrade?
    12-10-08 08:17 PM
    There are quite a few routers that are not compatible that I have noticed.

However in all instances it was the router and never the bold. I can get the bold to connect to most wi-fi networks I have come across.

I tried .190 and it was horrible for me...very laggy..application errors...bad memory management...once again that was just my experience.

If the version you are using works fine on your device and you have no issues, don't waste your time upgrading/downgrading. Just hold out for a future release...
    12-10-08 08:37 PM
    the reply at the end of this thread seems to address the issue. however i tried changing all of those settings to no avail.

i might downgrade to 185 to see if that works, but certainly not tonight. thanks for your help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/att...84/index2.html
    12-10-08 08:40 PM
    It appears to be not related to how old your router is. The Bold is simply just not compatible with certain routers using certain encryptions.
    I have a brand new Netgear router that works fine EXCEPT for WEP.
    My real concern is not if I can connect at home, my concern is that i have a hard time connecting at most AT&T hotspots. And there's no way to go configure other peoples routers.

I'm actually very pissed off that RIM has not addressed this problem. WiFi was a big reason I bought the Bold. It's bad enough AT&T doesn't support UMA, much less have a faulty WiFi device.
    12-10-08 11:23 PM
    In addition to the troubleshooting already done, you should also check the key your router is set to accept the password. Most routers offer 4 keys. You should match the active key in your router (#1, #2, etc)

If you enter any of the valid keys, the device may obtain an IP but will not go any further than that.......

hope it helps for those having problems with WEP.....
    12-11-08 06:42 AM
    I have that same router and have the exact same problem. The only solution is to replace that router. I bought a linksys and everything works perfectly now.

You could try other models as well but I didn't want to bother.
    i've got the Bold with a D-Link DIR-655 (802.11b/g/n) router and was having the same problem. i just fixed it by re-registering the wireless host routing table, which was posted by someone else:

Options->advanced options->host routing table highlight Wifi[60] click menu and select register now.
    12-30-08 01:40 AM
    So the real issue is that my other WiFi devices instantly and consistently connect to wireless 802.11x routers anywhere. Where most BB Bolds I've tried don't. I'm not concerned about my home because I've got my computer. I am concerned about when I'm on the road and I'm sitting at an AT&T hotspot that I'm supposed to get free WiFi at, and the WiFi icon is grayed out. I don't have the luxury to go play with the wireless router (at the airport) and change the settings to appease my BB Bold.

The bottom line is there are many reported cases of the Bold not able to connect through WEP, WPA, and even open. Where devices such as iPhone, iPod Touch, Treo, etc are all connected just fine. So there is for sure a Wifi problem with the Bold.
    12-30-08 02:09 AM
    Hmmm seems like a very expensive phone to have Wifi problems Can't get mine to work either. Tried on several routers including my new Linskys-G WRT54GL, just out of the box today. Still no succcess. Is there anyone in London I can go to who can work around this problem I am prepared to pay to have it sorted? Seems few have any ideas. Also refuses to access some sites for security reasons
    12-30-08 11:37 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD