Hi, folks,

A newbie question here... I currently have an 8820, which generally suits me fine, but the Bold is awfully attractive with the 3g/hsdpa support, wifi, and camera. however the camera seems a bit sub-par at 2mp. I see that a number of phones are coming out with 5 mp now, which would be fantastic as it would completely replace my normal camera for daily use; however even a 3.5 would be great. Does anyone know if a Bold with a better camera is in the works?

I don't see anything in the plans for next year (berryreview.com/2008/12/23/reminder-speculated-rim-roadmap-for-2009-10) unless perhaps the 'Pluto' (touchscreen 9900) has a better camera.

Sorry if this was asked before. Thanks!
    12-24-08 09:07 AM
    In the Tech World, If you wait long enough something better will ALWAYS come out-
    12-24-08 10:28 AM
    A phone will never replace a nice camera. While standard on phones now, I think their intention is more for use in ideal lighting conditions, no zooming, quick portrait shots, quick "look what I saw today!" shots...etc.

While some are 5, 8 MP.... the ability to take shots at night (GOOD flash), have good zoom, etc have not yet all been replaced from what I've seen.
    12-24-08 11:05 AM
    You can get a decent 8mp camera for $150.
    12-24-08 12:07 PM
    I'd get the phone that suits you and then get the camera . It's not a camera or an MP3 player first.
    12-24-08 12:14 PM
    Lets not get off topic-

He wants to know about camera phones, not cameras.

I know Tmo has some really good Camera Phones-

Like that new touchscreen phone, the Behold, it has a 5 megapixel camera-

The Motozine ZN5 is a Motorola phone with a Kodak Camera built in- its a pretty amazing camera phone- it takes really nice high quality shots, it can even take panoramic shots!

I don't think BBs are gonna have a camera with 3.2+ megapixels for a while though-
    12-24-08 12:15 PM

I don't think BBs are gonna have a camera with 3.2+ megapixels for a while though-
    they do already. the storm has 3.2
    12-24-08 12:43 PM
    A better camera would be nice. I use the phone camera for snaps or when I forget my ordinary camera.
    Phone cameras are several years away from having the extras - flash, zoom, settings, options, etc that normal cameras have. Even the latest 5mp (sure I've seen 8mp somewhere) phone cams don't cut it. Sure they have the mp, but it's worthless without the extra settings.
    Also, I notice on a lot of these phones where the camera is the focus, it's a so-so phone with an ok music player, and poor other features i.e. they blew the budget on the camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 01:03 PM
    Phone cameras suck, same with LED flashes, your better off buying a digital cam separately
    12-24-08 01:25 PM
    they do already. the storm has 3.2
    Yea, I Know.

I said 3.2 +

Meaning anything over 3.2
    12-24-08 01:29 PM
    I don't see rim ever putting too much "mmmph" in the camera part of their phones, although with the storm breaking traditional "berry user demographics" I could easily be wrong.
    Samsung had a really cool idea with their flipshot phone, I think if you are interested in a really nice camera phone you will have to look elsewhere than rim and stick with companies that produce both high end phones and cameras. Or perhaps chinese bootleg phones, those things are flipping sweet.

12-24-08 03:06 PM
    In the Tech World, If you wait long enough something better will ALWAYS come out-
    I agree.
    OP- It's a matter of personal choice and preference. The camera on the BOLD is a non issue to me - based on the other options available.

12-24-08 03:54 PM
    The Bold is an awesome phone, but I wouldn't buy it for its camera. It takes decent pictures, but the other features the device has to offer far outweighs anything the camera can do. If you are looking for a phone with a sick camera, I would look elsewhere. Unless you can settle with 3.2 (if you decide to go for the Storm or 8900) for now.

Last edited by avt123; 12-24-08 at 04:09 PM.
    12-24-08 04:06 PM
    If you want the Bold, get it now! Don't let the camera hold you back.

You'll never find a phone that has absolutely everything you want on it, so just go for it now.
    12-26-08 05:04 AM
    Totally agree.

The Bold is an awesome phone with many improvements on previous Berrys.

IMHO its the best BB on the market currently when all the pros & cons are weighed up.
    12-26-08 07:34 AM
    Cameras on camera phones are sooooo sloooww to start up. By the time that they get booted up and you can take a picture your shot is long gone....
    12-26-08 09:08 PM
    Folks -

thanks for the comments. I agree that I wouldn't want this to be my primary camera, but I was hoping for at least a 3.2gp camera. It sounds like there isn't a definite plan to produce a bold with a better camera in the next year.

Thanks for the help!
    01-02-09 04:48 PM
    The new 9220 thats rumored to be coming out has a 3.2MP camera and most of the goodies that the bold has. Check out the Curve 8900 forum for more info.
    01-02-09 09:07 PM
    Folks -

thanks for the comments. I agree that I wouldn't want this to be my primary camera, but I was hoping for at least a 3.2gp camera. It sounds like there isn't a definite plan to produce a bold with a better camera in the next year.

Thanks for the help!
    I do hope you mean MP because if I had a 3.2gp camera I'd be taking photorealistic shots of the Moon's craters from my porch.
    01-02-09 10:09 PM
    I would never wait for a better camera, on a cell phone. But, that's just me. If the Bold came without a camera, for $199, I'd be happy, oh so happy!
    01-02-09 10:13 PM
    the Storms camera is bad ***

my 2mp on my 8330 sux my balls and is even worse than the 1.3 i had on an old LG flip like 3 years ago... WTF RIM?!?!
    01-02-09 10:23 PM
    I do hope you mean MP because if I had a 3.2gp camera I'd be taking photorealistic shots of the Moon's craters from my porch.
    Yes, typo... I did see a google talk once with a 1gp photo - simply amazing.
    01-02-09 11:30 PM
    With that logic, you will never buy anything.
    01-03-09 02:34 AM
    IMO get the Storm dude.
    01-03-09 09:49 AM
    Bold cam is 2.0 MP and the Storm is 3.2MP. Big difference if you take tons of pics...
    01-03-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD