Hello Everybody ,

I just got my unlocked-European Bold yesterday. I have not used GPS and maps before on a smartphone which means I'm newbie . Could anyone tell me how to get the GPS and maps work in USA for free becuase I do not have data plan. Thanks a lot !

Bandar
    01-01-09 05:57 PM
    Most of the GPS programs use an internet connection to download maps. Since you don't have a data plan, that's probably not a good program for you to use. If you are looking for GPS/maps try Trekbuddy. It does not require a data plan. You download maps and store them on your BB. Trekbuddy will then use those stored maps instead of a connection to the internet. If you are looking for GPS for geocaching or just to get your lat/lon then try BlackStar - available from my signature. Actually, both are free - you should try both. Good Luck!
    01-01-09 08:47 PM
    Great Info BruceRTL ! I'm downloading both right now.
    01-02-09 01:00 AM
    By the way, what they mean by saying Blackberry and Google maps are free?
    01-02-09 01:01 AM
    does BlackStar work on Bold?
    01-02-09 01:03 AM
    BlackStar.jad the extension is JAD when i use desktop manger to install it on the bold it says " not supported"
    01-02-09 01:23 AM
    does BlackStar work on Bold?
    It most certainly does - I used it on my T-Mobile Bold only yesterday on a walk in Norfolk. But be aware, it's great for direction finding to a specific location (like a geocache) but it doesn't show you maps.

For tracking where I was on a map, I used GoogleMaps, but that does require a good data connection (GPRS or 3G). While the GoogleMaps appication itself is free, the data downloads may cost you money (depending on your service provider & tariff).
    01-02-09 05:38 AM
    BlackStar.jad the extension is JAD when i use desktop manger to install it on the bold it says " not supported"
    The jad file is for OTA installation, not desktop manager. Just enter the url in your BB Browser and install.

If you want to use desktop manager, download and unzip the zip file here
    01-02-09 10:22 AM
    Thanks guys!
    01-03-09 06:03 AM
    BI installed BlackStar but when it starts gives me a msg " Enable GPS". I did and after 10 minutes searching for a satellite it sopped working !!!! any suggestions
    01-03-09 08:10 AM
    Problems solved

I got my unlimited data plan today and used BB and googl maps. I do not need to save huge data on the memory card.

Thanks all !
    01-04-09 01:22 AM
    there is a post that answer ur questions
    just search in the forums:
    can i use bb gps without any data plan
    04-02-09 04:15 PM
    http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad went to this to download vie ota,,,getting error code,,,download failed,,,,907 invalid COD HTTP Error 406:Not Acceptable
    10-18-09 10:09 AM
    http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad went to this to download vie ota,,,getting error code,,,download failed,,,,907 invalid COD HTTP Error 406:Not Acceptable
    Try http://blackstarnavigation.com/ota

It is also available on the BlackBerry App Store. But the app store is probably still v1.5. We release 1.6.4 a week or two ago and it takes a while for the app store to update.
    10-18-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD