Is the Bold a true GPS or celluar?
    03-19-09 01:50 AM
    Both
    It uses cellular triangulation to help get a normal gps fix

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 02:57 AM
    True GPS receiver. To convince yourself...

Pull out your sim card, and you can still get a GPS reading.
    03-19-09 05:49 AM
    I believe it is standalone-type aGPS.

In any case, I believe the specs for Bold state it is aGPS.
    03-19-09 06:25 AM
    My test is that when I am indoors it does not get a GPS location. Once outside it is dead on.
    03-19-09 07:06 AM
    This is from a Qualcomm document

How gpsOne Works

The gpsOne technology functions in four different modes of operation. Chosen automatically or specified by software, the
    four modes are Standalone GPS, Mobile Station (MS)-based, MS-assisted and MS-assisted/Hybrid. In the A-GPS modes,
    gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry
    and software in the wireless device.

Note: The common term used by standards bodies for the handset/terminal device in CDMA2000 is "Mobile Station" (MS) and in WCDMA (UMTS)/GPRS/GSM/HSDPA/EDGE is
    “User Equipment” (UE). For simplicity in this document, references to the handset/terminal will be "MS," but this use implies both MS and UE.

Standalone GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to
    the wireless network.

MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start
    sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance
    from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also
    increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted/Hybrid: Wireless network information is added to GPS measurements as part of the position calculation by
    the location server, integrating the relative strengths of GPS information and available wireless network location information
    for increased positioning reliability in difficult GPS environments.
    03-19-09 04:36 PM
    Thanks houseape, this should be stickied!
    03-19-09 10:07 PM
    NP just a crackberry abuser that wants to share.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD