I was window shopping at my local Sprint store today and began talking to the store manager. I asked him if he had any news on which BBerry, if any, would be coming to Sprint in the near future. He told me that Sprint is going to first shift its focus to the new Palm Pre over the next few months (May release date).

However, he did say that there is news that a CDMA BBerry Bold will most likely be arriving at Sprint stores after the Pre around August-September 2009because its a 3G phone. I asked him about the 8900, he said no because it's an EDGE phone.

If this is all true then I can't wait for the summer. I'm a current Sprint customer still under contract and I really want a BOLD!!!!!!

Come on Sprint and RIM.....,MAKE THIS HAPPEN ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-23-09 10:50 PM
    The store manager had his facts incorrect. Its nothing to do with the fact that the Bold is 3G. GSM 3G is not CDMA 3G (EVDO). And the phone he was refering to was the 9630 Niagra, which is not the Bold.
    03-23-09 10:54 PM
    If I were you I would go for the Pre. But hey, that's just me...
    03-23-09 11:10 PM
    Yeah Sprints Bold = 9630 Niagara
    03-23-09 11:43 PM
    Our local gov't rep has been telling us that since the "official" announcement that the Pre was coming..According to him, all but Hesse are up in arms over the lack of crackberry push, as it's a big seller both equipment and service wise...
    03-24-09 07:20 AM
    The Niagara is similar to the Bold, but the in the less than offical specs, it has a slower processor, and no wifi, BUT it has the better 3.2 MP camera. In the mind of a Sprint rep this may well be the "Bold"
    03-24-09 07:43 AM
    Will this have true mms?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 07:43 AM
    I don't think Sprint even has real MMS servers/gateways. They try to make the Picturemail servers act like MMS servers, but even now everything that gets sent to/from your Blackberry is getting copied to your Picturemail account on the Picturemail servers. So maybe they'll get the receive function on the 9630 to closely mimic MMS (since they won't have any OS's on that line that don't support MMS like the legacy 4.3 Curves and 8830's still on the network), but it will still be the Picturemail servers in the middle butchering and slowing things down.
    03-24-09 08:28 AM
    The store manager had his facts incorrect. Its nothing to do with the fact that the Bold is 3G. GSM 3G is not CDMA 3G (EVDO). And the phone he was refering to was the 9630 Niagra, which is not the Bold.
    That is not necessarily true because look at the Black Berry Pearl 8130 it is on Verizon/Sprint which is CDMA/ED-DO and T-Mobile which is GSM just like AT&T so i wouldn't jump the gun on that. I just got done talking to a Verizon rep and she said a lot of times they know a day before they get in new phones while it has been on crackberry and phonescoop for months.
    03-30-09 11:27 AM
    That is not necessarily true because look at the Black Berry Pearl 8130 it is on Verizon/Sprint which is CDMA/ED-DO and T-Mobile which is GSM just like AT&T so i wouldn't jump the gun on that. I just got done talking to a Verizon rep and she said a lot of times they know a day before they get in new phones while it has been on crackberry and phonescoop for months.
    TMobile does NOT have the 8130. I was pointing out the flaw in the logic the OP posted about the store manager saying they were getting the Bold because it was 3G and no the 8900 because it uses EDGE. 3G GSM HSPDA does not equal EVDO.
    03-30-09 02:42 PM
    TMobile does NOT have the 8130. I was pointing out the flaw in the logic the OP posted about the store manager saying they were getting the Bold because it was 3G and no the 8900 because it uses EDGE. 3G GSM HSPDA does not equal EVDO.
    It is still Pearl though and true it does not mean they will but there is not really a blackberry they don't all have rite now that i notice besides the bold so i am sure everyone will get it after awhile. I would like to know why it seems AT&T gets everything before everyone else including Verizon which has a bigger customer base?
    04-02-09 09:33 PM
    GSM (ATT and TMo)has a bigger 'following" world wide. Even though Verizon and its CDMA network has a bigger following in the US, RIM (which is a Canadian company) is more interested in being able to sell phones world wide than just in the US.
    04-02-09 09:38 PM
    Isn't T-Mobile the only Cell Phone Carrier that actually provides service outside of the us though? I think the others just have alliances and partnerships with other international Cell phone Carriers using there same technology....
    04-04-09 04:59 AM
    Niagara := Vaporware.

It doesn't exist, at least until the first retail customers have a box in their hot sweaty hands.
    04-04-09 10:39 AM
    Isn't T-Mobile the only Cell Phone Carrier that actually provides service outside of the us though? I think the others just have alliances and partnerships with other international Cell phone Carriers using there same technology....
    The relationships between the T-Mo operations is exactly the same. They are all independent companies which happen to be owned by the same outfit. You will pay exactly the same roaming charges if you use an overseas T-Mo or if you use an unrelated overseas service.
    04-04-09 10:43 AM
    I really, really don't want to be a j*erk, but how long will it take before people realize that store managers, CSRs, retentions, etc, don't usually know anymore than we do about release dates? That the manager didn't even seem to know the difference between GSM and CDMA technologies also has me skeptical.

Again, not trying to be an @$$, but before running here and getting everyone all excited, please be sure to consider your source. True, Manager is slightly better than CSR, but not by much. All he likely knows at this point is the same thing we know, based on the leaked Sprint roadmap that BGR posted up a month or two ago.

That said, Sprint WILL most likely be getting the Niagra/9630 or some variant there-of, but the device isn't even expected to be officially announced until WES in May, so its a bit early to speculate on release dates (we also don't have any clue which US CDMA carrier will see this first).
    04-04-09 11:06 AM
    Sprint will never get the bold its gsm.

04-04-09 11:31 AM
    We'll see what they end up getting.. however now, they are only concentrating on the Pre..
    04-04-09 12:31 PM
    Sprint will never get the bold its gsm.

I'm not saying that Sprint is getting the Bold, but the pearl and the Curve were only GSM at one point as well, so you really can't say that just because the bold is GSM, it's not coming to Sprint.
    04-04-09 01:31 PM
    you can say that because the Niagra is the CDMA Bold equivalent. GSM doenst have a Niagra because they have the Bold. theyre basically the same 9000 series just one model for GSM and one for CDMA.

Also theres a big difference, the pearl and curve were different feature set and tiered Blackberries. theres no reason to have the Niagra and Bold as they are almost identical competitors except for the minor differences. theyre in the same class of phone to put it.
    04-04-09 05:26 PM
    The relationships between the T-Mo operations is exactly the same. They are all independent companies which happen to be owned by the same outfit. You will pay exactly the same roaming charges if you use an overseas T-Mo or if you use an unrelated overseas service.
    I know that but my point was the T-Mobile is the only one that is actually in several countries and they would have to charge u for roaming while overseas in less they had a global network which no cell phone service provider has done that in that kinda of way.
    04-05-09 03:22 PM
    TOUCHSCREEN BOLD COMING TO SPRINT TODAY!

I was just down at the Sprint store this morning checking in on any new rumors of BB releases... the guy who steals used cigarette butts from the ashtray behind the Sprint store told me FOR SURE that the "Pluto" (touchscreen Bold) will be released today at 2:00pm Eastern Time.

He also told me that Target is selling hoverboards. Sweet.
    04-06-09 08:44 AM
    Look at the model numbers. All of the Sprint Berrys all end in xx30. So does Verizon.... That being said, does any other phone company use this method. I am certain that one of the 2 companies will get this phone, but you never know when. Stormson is correct, Store Managers, CSRs, Company Reps, have no clue as to what is going to be released and when. This is all the idea of the minds at the top of the ladder. Store Managers don't know until they actually have a release date and are told about how to push the item at hand. I would never trust someone in their position. They honestly don't have a clue and don't care if they lie to you or tell something that they have just heard on the internet or store gossip. They will know when the rest of the world knows. I would just look at the clues as to who is going to get what Berry. Sprint has 8830, 8330, 8130, and I think that is all. So you would think that if RIM has a new berry that ends in xx30 then Sprint or Verizon will prob be getting it...... IMO
    04-06-09 12:20 PM
    It will be awesome, I bet alot of you sprint blackberry guys will want the bold.
    04-06-09 12:46 PM
    So glad I left Sprint - they typically are last in putting out new phones - Arg!
    04-06-09 02:25 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD