After getting really tired of Android (delayed updates, dealing with custom roms to improve performance, etc) I've decided I want a phone that just works out of the box. Since I'm not really a fan of the iPhone, I've been swayed to reconsider a BlackBerry. Considering my first (and only) BB device was the Storm 9530, I think it's fair to say that my initial experiences weren't an indicator of BlackBerrys in general. Specifically, I hated the click screen for typing.

The two BlackBerrys I'm considering are the Curve 9360 and the Bold 9900. I've played around with a 9360 briefly and it seemed like a nice handset, but I wonder whether I should save up and get the 9900 instead. I know it has a bigger screen, but if I'm going to be doing extensive browsing and such, I'll just pull out my PlayBook (another factor in why I'm considering a BB device). In my limited time with the Curve, I was able to type reasonably well, so I'm not sure if the Bold's larger keyboard is a requirement.

I'll be buying these phones either used or outright, so either way I'm not going to be stuck on a 3-year contract with an outdated phone once BB10 devices hit. I guess my main question would be, what separates the Bold from the Curve? Would the Bold be worth spending the extra $150 for?
    03-30-12 01:10 AM
    Up to you, if you are not going to do heavy duty stuff, like run CPU and RAM extensive apps, I think the Curve would fit your needs. If you want to spend the money on the Bold though, by all means get it. It is a superior device, but if you like the KB of the Curve and you won't need the power of the Bold, then why get it?
    03-30-12 01:28 AM
    Get the 9930 for the best and fastest BB experience yet. Then again if you're always going to have your Playbook with you then the 9360 might not be a bad choice. All in all it comes down to whether you want to save some money or you could possibly put it towards the new playbook keyboard.
    03-30-12 01:43 AM
    9900 is big, 9360 is small and light and has no touch screen.

Interesting fact about the 9360, it has a built in FM Radio.
    03-30-12 01:50 AM
    After getting really tired of Android (delayed updates, dealing with custom roms to improve performance, etc) I've decided I want a phone that just works out of the box. Since I'm not really a fan of the iPhone, I've been swayed to reconsider a BlackBerry. Considering my first (and only) BB device was the Storm 9530, I think it's fair to say that my initial experiences weren't an indicator of BlackBerrys in general. Specifically, I hated the click screen for typing.

The two BlackBerrys I'm considering are the Curve 9360 and the Bold 9900. I've played around with a 9360 briefly and it seemed like a nice handset, but I wonder whether I should save up and get the 9900 instead. I know it has a bigger screen, but if I'm going to be doing extensive browsing and such, I'll just pull out my PlayBook (another factor in why I'm considering a BB device). In my limited time with the Curve, I was able to type reasonably well, so I'm not sure if the Bold's larger keyboard is a requirement.

I'll be buying these phones either used or outright, so either way I'm not going to be stuck on a 3-year contract with an outdated phone once BB10 devices hit. I guess my main question would be, what separates the Bold from the Curve? Would the Bold be worth spending the extra $150 for?
    9360 or 9900!!!!!?
    are you craze man?
    just shut up and get the 9900
    03-30-12 10:02 AM
    Just want to point out, there are always updates on these phones. I have had mine since the beginning of February and updated twice since then, probably going to do it a third time once I get some more feedback on .342.

If that doesn't bother you then its simple really, the 9900 is a much better phone and it will make it easier I think to adjust from the Android you had to the BB. It really is a great product.

Have you considered the 9860 at all?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-30-12 10:18 AM
    9900 is built with higher end materials and looks techy-er than the Curve. The specs are better and the keyboard is absolutely lovely on the 99. The Curve hides in your pocket thanks to its size and weight. If your an active person you might want to keep that in consideration. Also the Curve battery just goes and goes and goes. I have a 99, the GF has the 9360 and wants the 99.
    03-30-12 10:24 AM
    Excellent feedback so far. With regards to the Torch 9860 I don't know if that one supports AWS frequencies. I'm moving over to Mobilicity here in Canada and they don't sell that one.

I'm going to see if I can get my paws on a 9900 to actually compare the two. That is probably my best bet.
    03-30-12 10:31 AM
    My vote is for the Bold if you had to pick one. As a Blackberry-aholic, I've been wanting a curve to throw into the rotation, but that's just me being greedy.
    03-30-12 01:44 PM
    If you have money, then go for the 9900, if you're on a budget, then the 9360 is just fine. They both overall give you a good quality BlackBerry experience. It just matters on your budget. Personally, I always go big or go home, lolol. I'd save up for the Bold. The Curve is nice, but the Bold is amazing.
    03-30-12 05:05 PM
    I did end up getting the Curve after all, but that's mainly due to the fact that I want to test to ensure Mobilicity will work in the areas I use my phone. The Bold was just too expensive to purchase right now, and couldn't find a used one locally that would work on the 1700MHz band.

If I'm forced to stay with Bell, I'll probably just end up getting the Bold then.

So far, the only thing I've learned is to not cup the phone on the bottom. Really seems to kill my signal.
    03-30-12 06:01 PM
    Bold 9900 hands down
    03-30-12 06:09 PM
    I gotta say, I looked at both and I went for the Bold and have zero regrets. Also bought outright out of contract. For me, this is the perfect phone. I can't even see getting a bb10 phone with this one by my side. As far as bb10, I have a PlayBook for that.
    03-30-12 08:13 PM
    I did end up getting the Curve after all, but that's mainly due to the fact that I want to test to ensure Mobilicity will work in the areas I use my phone. The Bold was just too expensive to purchase right now, and couldn't find a used one locally that would work on the 1700MHz band.

If I'm forced to stay with Bell, I'll probably just end up getting the Bold then.

So far, the only thing I've learned is to not cup the phone on the bottom. Really seems to kill my signal.
    I hope you enjoy your Curve ! (:
    03-30-12 09:06 PM
    Well, looks like I might be getting a Bold. Mobilicity just won't work for me in my area. In my basement, signal is all over the place (between -70dbm & -110dbm or the occasional time dropping out entirely. This is sometimes even with me in the exact same location. Apparently my location doesn't have optimal reception to begin with, so I have no choice but to return this shiny Curve and find a BlackBerry on my current provider (Bell). I do love this little Curve, but if I can't get solid reception, it's not worth keeping.

I've seen a few used Bold 9900s floating around on Kijiji, so maybe I'll consider one of them. Buying that outright from Bell will cost me $599.
    03-30-12 11:44 PM
    Hey! I have a Bold 9780; so due to that and the fact that I've heard great things about the 9900, you could always get that. But I have a friend who has the Curve 9360 and loves it. I personally like the Bold keyboard better, but that's just my opinion.

If you're going to buy either device used or outright and are considering upgrading to BB10 when it arrives, then I would suggest you purchase the Curve. That way, you'd be spending less money and will have that much more saved up if you wish to upgrade to BB10 or any other device. Good luck, and let us know what you decided!
    03-31-12 11:49 AM
    Its outright simple.

If you want more quality of screen, keyboard and overall quality, go for the 9900

If you are active/on budget, go for the 9360

The keyboard and screen on the 9360 isn't even close to the one on the 9900

Also, have you tried the 9860? I'm using it with 3G and I get 16 hours of battery. The touch isn't bad I'm coming from a 9900 which is interesting that I got used to this touch keyboard.

These are my suggestions

Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    03-31-12 12:24 PM
    9360 has a stupid battery, enough said.
    03-31-12 01:38 PM
    Get the 9900!!! You will love it like i do !
    03-31-12 04:13 PM
    I like the fact that you're choosing a BlackBerry because of the Playbook, we don't get a lot of people like you lol. I've used both phones and I will say, the Bold 9900 is far superior than the 9360. The 9360 is exactly what RIM has called it (or was it CB?) It's an entry level for OS 7. However, the fact that it's tiny, light and good looking, with good browsing experience, texting/mailing makes it a genuinely good smartphone. (for the price that it is, ofcourse)

The 9900 is good for browsing, especially if your fast with your fingers, the touch response is awesome (although, myself and others on this forum have had issues with it being out in the Sun) and it's RIM's flagship phone, so all love and priority is going to that now and it stands out, in terms of specs. The keyboard is AMAZING. It's like I never left the 9000 to begin with. (I owned the Bold 9000 before lol) Although, this is a lot more pricier than the 9360. The reason I bought the 9360 first was because it was cheap.

My verdict: Bold 9900.
    03-31-12 05:16 PM
    9900/9930 without a doubt. If you're buying used anyway the price shouldn't be too bad. Remember, even though you're going to upgrade to bb10 you'll still have this device for awhile. Get one you'll like.
    03-31-12 06:29 PM
    I like the fact that you're choosing a BlackBerry because of the Playbook, we don't get a lot of people like you lol.
    I love my PlayBook, so it seemed a no-brainer to reconsider a BlackBerry phone as I was getting tired of Android. Sure, the PlayBook (and BB phones) have their downsides, but I figured that I would give it a shot.

As I'm still evaluating things to see if a 'Berry really is the device for me, I did end up chickening out and bought a used Curve 9360. The Bold looked like a nice phone, but I got a really good deal on this Curve and I think it will tide me over nicely until the BB10 devices launch. At that point I'll probably go to their flagship model. I'm just concerned that the BB7 devices will start to become very obsolete once BB10 comes out so I think the Curve is going to be fine.

I do appreciate all the advice you guys gave, even if I went with the Curve in the end.
    03-31-12 10:46 PM
    You can't go wrong either way. Enjoy your Curve!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-31-12 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD