I'm having a hard time deciding which of the 2 should I get...pls convince me in your comments.. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 05:33 PM
    Depends what you like.
    BlackBerry - Compare Cell Phones - Smartphone Comparison - Canada
    Go there, select the 2 phones and compare to what you would prefer. It should just take you to the compare cellphones Blackberry site of your country, I'm in canada so that's all I could get.
    02-07-11 05:37 PM
    I'm having a hard time deciding which of the 2 should I get...pls convince me in your comments.. Thanks!

So many people come on here asking for everyone to tell them what device to buy and why to buy it. Heres the problem with that, we don't know you or what your needs and wants are so it's rather difficult to tell you what to get. The best advice I can give you since I have both devices is that they are very different from one another. You need to do some research and a very thorough hands on with each. See what you like and dislike about each device. After all, you're the one that's going to be using it. I know this may not seem helpful to you, but only you know what you need and want.
    02-07-11 05:44 PM
    So many people come on here asking for everyone to tell them what device to buy and why to buy it. Heres the problem with that, we don't know you or what your needs and wants are so it's rather difficult to tell you what to get. The best advice I can give you since I have both devices is that they are very different from one another. You need to do some research and a very thorough hands on with each. See what you like and dislike about each device. After all, you're the one that's going to be using it. I know this may not seem helpful to you, but only you know what you need and want.
    I've noticed that too. That's why I gave him the compare devices link, there he can easily find out what he needs to know about the phones to make his decision on which one fits his needs.
    02-07-11 05:55 PM
    Here is my story:
    I had a Bold 9000, got sick of its slow performance as it only had 128 MB of memory.

Then I bought a 9700, I was much happier with it as it had 256 MB of memory, and although the screen was a bit smaller, the higher pixel resolution and clarity makes up for it. Keyboard were good on both, big hard buttons.

Then I got tempted to get the 9780 as OS 6 would perform much smoother on the 9780 as it has 512 MB of memory, but it wasn't getting released anytime during the month of September, so I did the biggest mistake, I got the Torch!

I was playing with the Torch for the first 3 days non stop, I enjoyed the touch screen, it was cool to think that you can touch the screen to select stuff!

However, come to real world usability; why does one buy a BlackBerry? Mostly due to the excellent push email feature, and the BlackBerry Messenger, I thought oh well, I have a physical keyboard, so I can type easily no need to type on the touch screen.

Here was my disappointment, the keyboard purely sucks in comparison to the Bold Keyboards! It is very flat out and when you press a button it doesn't feel so sturdy, I was typing to letters at the same time always and mine you, I have average sized fingers.

Next, the battery, RIM sports a bigger screen on the Torch, touch sensitivity, so it is pure to think that they will equip it with a higher capacity battery or at least similar to the Bold; well guess what? They put a lower capacity battery to makes things a total disaster!

Bold Battery Capacity = 1500 mAH
    Torch Battery Capacity = 1150 mAH (just like the cheap Curves or Pearls)

I couldn't get threw the day with the battery unless I turn off WiFi, turn the screen britghtness down, ensure that facebook app is closed! Wow! I pay an arm and a leg for a phone and have to disable all these nice features just to be able to use it for 1 day. heh

Further more, the phone is too heavy, too big, you cannot put it in a purse or a pocket without feeling its bulkiness.
    And as I couldn't and hated typing on the Touch screen, the physical keyboard was slid down 90% of the time, which made the phone look horrible!

Thank god, CompuMe here in Dubai had a 7 day return policy, and on the 6th day, I did the right thing, I returned it back and got a 9700 AGAIN! as there was no 9780

After 2 weeks, the 9780 got released! I bought it on the spot for $600 USD (retail price, yes, I didn't care, I love BlackBerries, and I had to had the best of em) I then sold my 9700 a week later for $400 USD

The 9780 is awsome! Amazing keyboard! The OS feels snappier on the 9780 as it has no touch screen to take eat up my resources (CPU resources that is), the trackpad is much better, the Torch trackpad although looks similar, it is not, it is a little bit bulged out, which makes scrolling not so smooth and continous, it often jerked while I was scrolling, if you don't have a completely dry finger at all times, then the trackpad of the torch will cause you to almost break the phone! The 9780 trackpad always works no matter if my finger was dry, damp, wet, Bolds just have a certain quality in their build not found on any other phone!

Finally, the size of the 9780 and battery are just perfect! you can't beat this great combination!

Good luck on your choice.
    02-07-11 09:52 PM
    That is a pretty accurate review of the Torch. I had one for a short while, and everything mentioned above is spot on. I didn't like the slider, as it wasn't very one hand friendly. It became top heavy when open, and without a physical keyboard, there was no way that I would use one.
    02-07-11 10:13 PM
    to the OP.. if you were considering an iphone? will you have this dilemma? NO.
    that's the magic of APPLE. you won't have to think.. They made the decision for YOU.
    now to answer your question, i/we will need more info..
    First.. which part of the World are you located? sounds silly right? but no it's not.
    The thing is.. if you're here in the States, you will only get the Torch through AT&T and the 9780 through T-mobile.
    you can't and won't be able to enjoy the devices, especially the 3G part if you use ( open line ) let say the Torch with T-mobile due to difference in frequency.
    a work around it is to buy the phones from Canada and match the 3G frequency of your Carrier.
    Next Question: what's your primary use of the phone? messaging? or multi-media?
    CLearly, the Torch has an advantage of real state if you plan to view a lot of your pictures in your phone.
    that's all my questions for now..
    and... don't let the members convince you... you do the deciding yourself...
    unless you want to wake up with a phone as big as your TV remote control and last for 5 hours maximum.
    02-07-11 10:38 PM
    I've had the iPhone 3G back in October 09. 2 months later I got tired of it and got the Bold 9000. I was very happy with the change especially the keyboard but I did miss the touch screen and the bigger screen a lot. Then a year later I picked up the Torch. I knew I was gonna love it because it had the big screen, touch screen, and the physical keyboard. Although the keyboard isn't as good as the one found on the Bold 9000 I still find my self "speed typing" as I used to do on the Bold 9000 which took me about to 2 weeks to get used to. So now I have the big screen, great touch screen, and physical keyboard and couldn't be any happier. Even though some people may oppose to this, I'd rather follow my desires as I will be the one using the phone not them. Now I'm not saying not to listen to anyones oppinions but to make up your mind using the info (pros and cons) which you were given, because not everyone wants or likes the same thing. Anyways good luck on your decision!

Last edited by luqman24; 02-07-11 at 11:06 PM.
    02-07-11 11:02 PM
    Here is my story:
    I had a Bold 9000, got sick of its slow performance as it only had 128 MB of memory.

Then I bought a 9700, I was much happier with it as it had 256 MB of memory, and although the screen was a bit smaller, the higher pixel resolution and clarity makes up for it. Keyboard were good on both, big hard buttons.

Then I got tempted to get the 9780 as OS 6 would perform much smoother on the 9780 as it has 512 MB of memory, but it wasn't getting released anytime during the month of September, so I did the biggest mistake, I got the Torch!

I was playing with the Torch for the first 3 days non stop, I enjoyed the touch screen, it was cool to think that you can touch the screen to select stuff!

However, come to real world usability; why does one buy a BlackBerry? Mostly due to the excellent push email feature, and the BlackBerry Messenger, I thought oh well, I have a physical keyboard, so I can type easily no need to type on the touch screen.

Here was my disappointment, the keyboard purely sucks in comparison to the Bold Keyboards! It is very flat out and when you press a button it doesn't feel so sturdy, I was typing to letters at the same time always and mine you, I have average sized fingers.

Next, the battery, RIM sports a bigger screen on the Torch, touch sensitivity, so it is pure to think that they will equip it with a higher capacity battery or at least similar to the Bold; well guess what? They put a lower capacity battery to makes things a total disaster!

Bold Battery Capacity = 1500 mAH
    Torch Battery Capacity = 1150 mAH (just like the cheap Curves or Pearls)

I couldn't get threw the day with the battery unless I turn off WiFi, turn the screen britghtness down, ensure that facebook app is closed! Wow! I pay an arm and a leg for a phone and have to disable all these nice features just to be able to use it for 1 day. heh

Further more, the phone is too heavy, too big, you cannot put it in a purse or a pocket without feeling its bulkiness.
    And as I couldn't and hated typing on the Touch screen, the physical keyboard was slid down 90% of the time, which made the phone look horrible!

Thank god, CompuMe here in Dubai had a 7 day return policy, and on the 6th day, I did the right thing, I returned it back and got a 9700 AGAIN! as there was no 9780

After 2 weeks, the 9780 got released! I bought it on the spot for $600 USD (retail price, yes, I didn't care, I love BlackBerries, and I had to had the best of em) I then sold my 9700 a week later for $400 USD

The 9780 is awsome! Amazing keyboard! The OS feels snappier on the 9780 as it has no touch screen to take eat up my resources (CPU resources that is), the trackpad is much better, the Torch trackpad although looks similar, it is not, it is a little bit bulged out, which makes scrolling not so smooth and continous, it often jerked while I was scrolling, if you don't have a completely dry finger at all times, then the trackpad of the torch will cause you to almost break the phone! The 9780 trackpad always works no matter if my finger was dry, damp, wet, Bolds just have a certain quality in their build not found on any other phone!

Finally, the size of the 9780 and battery are just perfect! you can't beat this great combination!

Good luck on your choice.
    OMG this is the exact story you posted the other day, do you have it saved on your harddrive specially for everytime someone asks about the Torch. tell you what I'll repeat what I said the other day to you..

As someone said to you the other day in the thread about the Torchs' trackpad. We get it you dont like the Torch, and it wasn't the device for you.

The battery in my torch is at about 45% every night when I go to bed. Thats after a 16-17hour day. That would include about 80 odd emails. 90 - 120minutes of browsing. Up to an hour of phone calls and also BBM and texting. I moved form a bold 9700 to the torch and the physical keyboard does take some getting used to but it is useable once your used to it. As for the toouchscreen keyboard since I installed .450 it is much more responsive and finally the key you mean to hit is the one that appears on the screen. Yes the touchscreen wasnt great to start with but RIM are working on improving it.

I'm not trying to start an argument but it seems you constantly troll the Torch section on Crackerry, looking to bad mouth what a large number of people find to be a great phone. You have your 9780 and your happy with it. Good for you, but perhaps its time to think that maybe you had a defective device or it just wasnt for you.

To the OP I would recommend the Torch I love mine and cant put it down. Battery life is great, the combo of touchscreen / trackpad / physical keyboard is perfect. Plus you have the email / bbm etc that blackberries are known for being great for.

steiale likes this.
    02-08-11 07:17 AM
    To the OP I would recommend the Torch I love mine and cant put it down. Battery life is great, the combo of touchscreen / trackpad / physical keyboard is perfect. Plus you have the email / bbm etc that blackberries are known for being great for.
    My thinking exactly. Before any purchase spending a lot of time in the store using the phone makes good sense. That turned my head for the Torch. Now I have not a single regret. The phone is just what I need for my particular purposes. Not for everybody for sure. But for me is certain.
    02-08-11 08:15 AM
    can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin.

The torch is best of both worlds and also has that all important track pad which I'm glad they included and there's no denying that touch can make navigating a little easier - Im also a big fan of slider phones. the 9780 is the perfect size for me and there's no way you'll have your phone activate something by accident via the screen and I just type better via the keyboard :P

You could say it all comes down to which form factor you're more comfortable with really as the specs of both are similar and share the same operating system (OS 6).
    02-08-11 08:46 AM
    Just get a Samsung Juke. :P

02-09-11 07:37 AM
    Hello ! Are there any letdowns in BB Torch 9800 ? Because I'll be buying it within a week. Please reply ASAP.

Thank You
    07-19-11 02:05 AM
    Not with OS 6.0.0.600, it makes the Torch killer quick and responsive. Dude get the Torch, or wait for the new Torch or Bold, they're even better, you'll prolly have to wait a month.
    07-19-11 02:15 AM
    I would go with the 9780. but, it's your call....
    07-19-11 02:18 AM
    I'm not biased I would go with the Torch , for me the big plus with the Torch is the screen size, the negative was the keypad , but like most things if the positives out number the negatives then you just adapt or compromise .

I think my problem was, I had a Bold 9000 (best keypad ever), comparing the two, the bold 9000 wins quite easily. I looked at the 9780, and I did not like the look or feel (compared to the bold 9000). So for me the decision was very easy, I wanted a decent size screen , good battery life (priority 1) this comes standard with BB phones when compared to Android & Iphone etc.

I can get through a day quite easily with fairly heavy usage. Please note that battery usage also depends on the signal strength i.e. poor signal strength= higher drain on the battery.

Alex
    07-19-11 05:58 AM
    I wouldnt buy a blackberry, now, under any circumstances. There are new models around the corner including updates to the Torch and Bold. Processor's that are twice as fast, decent (not great) screen resolutions and more memory.

I would use two cans and a string before I bought one of the current, horrifically outdated BB's available today.

Unless of course they are throwing in a free bowl of soup and perhaps a nice hat.
    07-19-11 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD